LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 151 users in the forums

WR is what position we're drafting with our first pick.

Boldin has one year left, while Ellington and Patton hasn't proven anythingand it's Torrey Smith's first season with us. Baalke and JH could've traded up for OBJ last year but the price was too stiff and we missed out on him.

If we stayed at at 15 Parker might still be there while DGB will be strong candidate.
If we moved up, Baalke will be going for either Cooper or White.
If we traded down into the 25th - 32nd in the 1st round, DGB, Strong, and Perriman are there.
If we traded out of the 1st round and get an extra 2nd rounder. Possibly Strong still there. Agholor, Smith, Coates and Funchess will be there.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mr49er:
Boldin has one year left, while Ellington and Patton hasn't proven anything.

Can say the same about OG...Boone has one year left, Thomas has yet to prove anything and Martin did not steal anyones job with his play last year.
Each year we have half a billion WR threads stop tha madness
I disagree. I think we'll draft a defensive player in round 1.
[ Edited by Olejohnnyboy on Apr 17, 2015 at 11:12 PM ]
A sphincter says what?
I don't think it is possible to make this judgement at this stage. I think Baalke will assess the relative value of the players remaining and also the value of trading down. He may also for all I know be sounding out other GMs regarding the possibility of trading up. Right now anything could happen.

But receivers are not the most fundamentally important part of our O. TB has been happy to date to pick up FA's and some later picks. With other needs I don't think I can necessarily agree the heading. It may happen but no guarantee.
I believe it all depends on how the board falls. There seems to be alot of talk about teams trading up or down so until things actually happen, who knows what the board will look like as it gets closer to 15. Add to that the fact that TB is one of the hardest GM's to get a read on at draft time makes it nearly impossible to guess who he's really looking at early...
Not how it works really. Comes down to who's #1 on our board when our pick rolls in. Baalke might position himself with a trade to make our top player available be a wr at our pick.
Originally posted by eastie:
I believe it all depends on how the board falls. There seems to be alot of talk about teams trading up or down so until things actually happen, who knows what the board will look like as it gets closer to 15. Add to that the fact that TB is one of the hardest GM's to get a read on at draft time makes it nearly impossible to guess who he's really looking at early...

Didn't see this post before mine but this pretty much.
Whatever we believe will happen will be exactly opposite of what Baalke will actually do

I would bet OL, DL, or WR.

Baalke doesn't like burning early picks on CB's and having two dominant ILB's isn't necessary.

I could easily see Baalke moving back and taking a lineman on either side of the ball. The zone wouldn't love it, but Baalke's all about shoring up the trenches.

If they do take a WR, I'm gonna assume they will move down in the 1st and try to gain an extra 2nd rounder in the process.

I just wouldn't hold your breath on the WR-tip. Could easily see Baalke going d-line... seems like a generally unpopular-yet-maybe-smart move he'd make.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
A sphincter says what?
pffffffffffffffffffft
WR or bust. I'm sick and tired of always taking a WR in the later rounds. We haven't had a true #1 since T.O.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
WR or bust. I'm sick and tired of always taking a WR in the later rounds. We haven't had a true #1 since T.O.

Yup, I agree... Can we pick the right one is the question?
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Each year we have half a billion WR threads stop tha madness

Cool you jets man lol

Every year we talk about taking a top WR because it's been a need and every year Baalke waits until later in the draft to grab a underwhelming WR project.

I would rather move up and grab a top tier WR and have a YOUNG squad that are paid cheap (minus Smith) for the next couple seasons then keep dipping into FA every year for old vets.

Cash we keep spending on vet WRs could go towards resigning players like Boone,Smith,VD or OTHER positions.

The avg cap hit in 2015 for the top 15 WRs in around $11 million
The avg cap hit in 2015 for the top 15 OGs is around $6 million

I would rather have a top WR on a rookie contract (with a 5th year option) than a top guard. That money we save by having a Cooper/White/Parker cheap for 4-5 years can go towards grabbing a good guard, if Thomas/Martin/Looney can play guard in the NFL (which I think they can).
Share 49ersWebzone