LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 166 users in the forums

Randy Gregory failed drug test for Marijuana at Combine... could be there at 15?

Originally posted by shmuck:
Aldon could be gone after 2015 and Gregory would likely be BPA by a wide margin.

IF Aldon was gonna be gone it would have happened by now IMO....you don't let top pass rushers leave. Gregory isn't a upgrade over Aldon and would be riding the pine behind Lynch,Smith,Brooks.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Aldon could be gone after 2015 and Gregory would likely be BPA by a wide margin.

IF Aldon was gonna be gone it would have happened by now IMO....you don't let top pass rushers leave. Gregory isn't a upgrade over Aldon and would be riding the pine behind Lynch,Smith,Brooks.

Nah, with that group we'd have a ton of options:
- We can run a NASCAR package to terrorize passing teams.
- On basedowns we could move Lynch or Aldon to DE.
- We could rotate pass rushers like the Seahawks
- We could move Brooks to ILB
- We could cut or trade Brooks.
[ Edited by All22 on Apr 7, 2015 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by All22:

At this point we aren't cutting brooks THIS year. He's still a effective player, he weights 270 lbs and can not be a ILB.

Cutting him next year will save us around $6.5 million that can go towards Smith's new deal. If Gregory wants to be a OLB in SF he's gonna have to gain 30 lbs (lynch/smith/Brooks are 270)...why move them to DE? they are good at OLB.

Gregory would be a 3rd-down pass rusher his rookie year, do you take Smith or Lynch our on 3rd downs?

Hate the idea, doesn't make sense and it takes snaps away from two of our best young players.
  • All22
  • Veteran

At this point we aren't cutting brooks THIS year. He's still a effective player, he weights 270 lbs and can not be a ILB.

Cutting him next year will save us around $6.5 million that can go towards Smith's new deal. If Gregory wants to be a OLB in SF he's gonna have to gain 30 lbs (lynch/smith/Brooks are 270)...why move them to DE? they are good at OLB.

Gregory would be a 3rd-down pass rusher his rookie year, do you take Smith or Lynch our on 3rd downs?

Hate the idea, doesn't make sense and it takes snaps away from two of our best young players.

You move them to DE because a 4-man DL (nickel) is our base defense anyway...
And we're overstocked at OLB and understocked at DE. Besides, would you pass on Robert Quinn or would you figure out a way to make it work.

Like I said, the Giants won superbowls with a similar package.

I'd rather have Randy Gregory at 15 than Arik Armstead, a RB who will split carries with Hyde, or a WR that will at best be our #3.

Also, I liked Lynch better when he was heavier and playing inside.
[ Edited by All22 on Apr 7, 2015 at 9:06 AM ]
I actually had a dream we drafted this guy.

Bucs took Winston, but then raiders traded up for the Titans pick and grabbed White. Jacksonville took Strong at 3 and then I remember us taking a Nebraska linebacker....
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
I actually had a dream we drafted this guy.

Bucs took Winston, but then raiders traded up for the Titans pick and grabbed White. Jacksonville took Strong at 3 and then I remember us taking a Nebraska linebacker....

we traded up to 4? If that's the case then we should take Leonard Williams or Dante Fowler.
I'm not as impressed with Randy Gregory as most people. I'm not even sure he's worth the 15th pick. The drug test makes it even worse.
You move them to DE because a 4-man DL (nickel) is our base defense anyway...
And we're overstocked at OLB and understocked at DE. Besides, would you pass on Robert Quinn or would you figure out a way to make it work.

Like I said, the Giants won superbowls with a similar package.

I'd rather have Randy Gregory at 15 than Arik Armstead, a RB who will split carries with Hyde, or a WR that will at best be our #3.

Also, I liked Lynch better when he was heavier and playing inside.

So we will be playing Lynch/Smith as DE instead of OLB? I get it in nickle, but for them to be full time DE wouldn't they have to gain like 25 lbs...I fill like that's a whole lot of commitment for a pot smoking undersized pass rusher.

I don't think Baalke touches him regardless.
So we will be playing Lynch/Smith as DE instead of OLB? I get it in nickle, but for them to be full time DE wouldn't they have to gain like 25 lbs...I fill like that's a whole lot of commitment for a pot smoking undersized pass rusher.

I don't expect us to draft him, but he's so much better than Lynch it isn't funny. Lynch was decent as a freshman at Notre Dame but got overhyped because it's Notre Dame. He cut a ton of weight and wasn't as effective at OLB. He was a good player for being a 5th round pick, but he's not on Gregory's level and never will be. They're different athletes and Gregory plays as strong as Lynch at a lighter weight because of his hand usage. If Gregory gets up to 255, he can be a dominant 3-4 OLB. And Lynch was drafted around 245 if I recall correctly and put on a ton of weight.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

I don't expect us to draft him, but he's so much better than Lynch it isn't funny. Lynch was decent as a freshman at Notre Dame but got overhyped because it's Notre Dame. He cut a ton of weight and wasn't as effective at OLB. He was a good player for being a 5th round pick, but he's not on Gregory's level and never will be. They're different athletes and Gregory plays as strong as Lynch at a lighter weight because of his hand usage. If Gregory gets up to 255, he can be a dominant 3-4 OLB. And Lynch was drafted around 245 if I recall correctly and put on a ton of weight.

Lynch has the 2nd highest pass rushing grade a (+5.6) in 2014 according to PFF.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 7, 2015 at 5:12 PM ]

• All22
  • Veteran
Wasn't Lemonier one of the top rated pass rushers in his rookie year too?

Yeah he was 24th in the league in pass rush productivy and tops among all rookie in 2013. I still don't think they should give up on him, but lynch had 6 sacks last season vs lemonier has 1 career sack.

Yes. He's extremely talented with a great first step. Aron Lynch just happens to be even more talented.

Randy Gregory is not that good fellas. He's ok, but at 15? No. If you've got a 235-pound pass rusher you think is an elite talent, he should be blazing around corners & getting 15 sacks. Think Von Miller.
There's talk that Gregory might fall out of the 1st round completely. I don't know if I buy that, but it seems very likely that if the 49ers wanted to draft him, he'd be available at #15
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
There's talk that Gregory might fall out of the 1st round completely. I don't know if I buy that, but it seems very likely that if the 49ers wanted to draft him, he'd be available at #15

I agree. I think Ray might be available too. This might create some opportunities to trade back if there's a team in the 20s who want a top edge rusher.

On another note, are you going to be putting out a mock before Thursday?
Share 49ersWebzone