Justin Smith - DT/DE
Stevie Johnson - WR
Jonathan Martin - OT

Resign:
Perrish Cox - CB
Chris Cook - CB
Josh Johnson - QB

Free Agency:

Torrey Smith - WR - Ravens | Speed threat with a strong rapport with Davis and Boldin. He'll help establish a new culture in the locker room.

Vince Wilfork - NT - Patriots | Anchor for Mangini's beloved 2 gap 3-4 scheme, Wilfork brings talent, knowledge, and success to the position.

Brian Orakpo - DE/OLB - Redskins | 1 year prove it deal that will frequently rotate with Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch. Bold signing.

Ryan Harris - OT - Chiefs | Swing tackle that can play some guard. Experienced in ZBS.

NFL Draft:

R1: La'el Collins - OT/OG - LSU | Outstanding pass blocking and run blocking skills, looks the part of a natural left guard.

R2: Duke Johnson - RB - Miami | A Hurricane to take over Gore's spot, Johnson would thrive in a zone scheme and adds needed speed to our O

R3: Marcus Hardison - DT/DE - Arizona St | Raw, but great athletic ability and long arms to develop into a solid starter.

R4: Darren Waller - WR - Georgia Tech (via Broncos) | 6-6 WR with sub 4.5 speed with outstanding hands. Raw route runner, but coachable.

R4: Adrian Amos - S - Penn St (comp) | Solid all around player with special teams skills. Ward stays at CB.

R5: Jake Ryan - ILB - Michigan | Strong intangibles to develop as a 3-4 ILB, but primary focus will be on special teams.

R6: Tyler Varga - RB/FB - Yale | Stout ball carrier that projects as a hybrid FB in the NFL. ST talents, too.

R6: Blake Sims - QB - Alabama (comp) | He has a feel for the game but needs coaching to refine his craft. Better than B.J. Daniels.

R7: BPA at DB and OL

Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Johnson/Sims*
RB: Hyde/Johnson*/Hunter
FB: Varga*
TE: Davis/McDonald/Carrier/Millard

WR: Boldin/Ellington
WR: Smith*/Patton
WR: Simpson*/Waller*

LT: Staley/Harris*
LG: Collins*/Thomas
C: Kilgore/Martin
RG: Boone/Looney
RT: Davis

LE: Dockett*/Hardison*
NT: Wilfork*/Dial
RE: Dorsey/Carradine

OLB: Smith/Lemonier
ILB: Borland/Ryan*/Moody
ILB: Bowman/Wilhoite
OLB: Orakpo*/Lynch

CB: Brock/Ward/Cook
CB: Cox/Johnson/Reaser*
FS: Reid/Amos*
SS: Bethea/Dahl

ST: Dawson, Lee, Nelson
Bold and Tough.

I like your approach.

Wilfork and Orakpo would add proven toughness and leadership.

The Duke and Collins are solid picks.

I'd be VERY happy w/this
  • crew
  • Veteran
I like the first 4 picks, though lean towards Ajayi over Duke Johnson. Really like Hardison in the 3rd.
Originally posted by crew:
I like the first 4 picks, though lean towards Ajayi over Duke Johnson. Really like Hardison in the 3rd.

Agreed Ajayi would be a stud pick and if Hyde gets hurt we still have a 3 down back ready to roll.
Are you cutting Ian Williams and Tony Jerod-Eddie?
Don't get the Collins pick if we have two young o-lineman waiting for their shot at LG. Love the FA pickups, I would love Wilfork in the tough NFC West (I wonder how much cash he is looking for).

I was always a fan of Orakpo, but he is always injured and I think he will get more than a 1 yr prove it deal from other teams.

NO CBs in the draft? I would rather get Waynes in the 1st than OL but that just my 2 cents

Good job
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

No sense in that, together they only count for around $2 million against the cap.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

No sense in that, together they only count for around $2 million against the cap.

It's a numbers game. Wilfork replaces Williams. Hardison replaces TJE. I don't like having 7 DL when we play out of the 4-2-5 so often.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Don't get the Collins pick if we have two young o-lineman waiting for their shot at LG. Love the FA pickups, I would love Wilfork in the tough NFC West (I wonder how much cash he is looking for).

I was always a fan of Orakpo, but he is always injured and I think he will get more than a 1 yr prove it deal from other teams.

NO CBs in the draft? I would rather get Waynes in the 1st than OL but that just my 2 cents

Good job

I say lets get Martin/Kilgore to fight with Thomas in 2016 for the RG spot. Collins is an instant starter at LG and can slide to LT if needed.

No CB and here's why: Johnson deserved he belongs. Brock is back. Ward is back. Cox is resigned. Cook is resigned. Acker and Reaser will now have a chance to make the roster in 2015 - I see them as our "draft picks". Plus you tack on McFadden and the others, and it's going to be competitive.

We could also sign him for a 2-3 year deal but incentive laden if needed. We have the cap room.

49ers need to be bold. Gore, Willis, Smith, Crabtree, Iupati, Culliver and maybe Miller...gone...
Originally posted by GEEK:

Good job

I say lets get Martin/Kilgore to fight with Thomas in 2016 for the RG spot. Collins is an instant starter at LG and can slide to LT if needed.

No CB and here's why: Johnson deserved he belongs. Brock is back. Ward is back. Cox is resigned. Cook is resigned. Acker and Reaser will now have a chance to make the roster in 2015 - I see them as our "draft picks". Plus you tack on McFadden and the others, and it's going to be competitive.

We could also sign him for a 2-3 year deal but incentive laden if needed. We have the cap room.

49ers need to be bold. Gore, Willis, Smith, Crabtree, Iupati, Culliver and maybe Miller...gone...

I'm all for bold in the FA for a change Why let two players already on the team fight for a spot next year? Why not draft for that position IF it even becomes open. Either we are benching our 1st rd pick or both of our 3rd rounders this year and that doesn't seem smart to me. I'd rather roll with Cedic Ogbuehi in the 3rd if you want to focus on 2016. I just don't see OL as our top need.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
I'm all for bold in the FA for a change Why let two players already on the team fight for a spot next year? Why not draft for that position IF it even becomes open. Either we are benching our 1st rd pick or both of our 3rd rounders this year and that doesn't seem smart to me. I'd rather roll with Cedic Ogbuehi in the 3rd if you want to focus on 2016. I just don't see OL as our top need.

I see your point but iron sharpens iron.
Share 49ersWebzone