LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 222 users in the forums

Byron Jones CB UConn

Watching Jones interview he is a very smart and extremely athletic. Gold star character, big and long armed. Can't wait to see what he posts at his pro day.
[ Edited by LottOfDefense on Mar 13, 2015 at 12:06 PM ]
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Watching Jones interview he is a very smart and extremely athletic. Gold star character, big and long armed. Can't wait to see what he posts at his pro day.

I like him a lot as a prospect
oh hell yes!!!!!!
I know he is a athlete but why was he projected as a 5th before the combine? I have him in the 3rd in my mock but people are saying high 2nd...why?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I know he is a athlete but why was he projected as a 5th before the combine? I have him in the 3rd in my mock but people are saying high 2nd...why?

Projected as a 5th by who exactly? I saw him as a 3rd rounder even in December.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You had him as a 4th round pick in your mock draft? Cbs sports had him rated as a 4-5th rounder before the combine. I like him but don't think he is worth a 2nd rounder that's all.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 14, 2015 at 10:06 AM ]
You had him as a 4th round pick in your mock draft? Cbs sports had him rated as a 4-5th rounder before the combine. I like him but don't think he is worth a 2nd rounder that's all.

He was looked at as a potential 2nd rounder before his injury. Even when I made my first mock I wasn't sure how far the injury would drop him. Last year I thought that Spencer Long would fall way further than he did. I think mid 3rd round is pretty much ideal for Jones....that said, I can also easily see him getting overdrafted in the same way that guys like McGill and SJB were last draft. I'm expecting him to go anywhere from mid 2nd round to late 3rd round.
I will also say this about Jones, in Seattle's system I could see him being an absolute nightmare. He's very physical, loves to grab, loves to keep the receivers close to him and has the top notch athleticism to keep up with most receivers down the field as well. Putting him opposite Sherman could be pretty scary as he's a very prototypical press corner with explosiveness to boot. If he doesn't go to the 49ers, I sincerely hope he goes anywhere else other than Seattle.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/2015-nfl-draft-profile-byron-jones-cb-connecticut.html/

Summary: It certainly doesn't hurt that the NFL is becoming populated with quite a few UConn Huskies on the defensive side of the ball recently to demonstrate the caliber of defensive backs that school is producing. But, that said, he is his own man and it would be absurd to accuse him of being a "combine creation" as his tape stands up impressively as a combination of both large build and impressive athletic traits. On top of that he has very nice tape to back him up where he can really lock down on his man with aggressive man-cover traits you will want on Sunday. There are many solid corners in this draft, but you don't have to go very far down that list to find this guy. He only played 7 games in 2014, but 43 college games overall tell you that he has plenty of experience at the position and looks the part of a 1st-2nd round pick.

• crew
  • Veteran
I've seen him as high as #22 in the 1st to Steelers in a mock, many mocks have him going in upper part of Rd2. If he's off the board at #46, as an alternative, Alex Carter should still be there.

- 4 year starter

- Probably the best combine EVER for a CB

- Prototype size and length for the modern day NFL CB

- Gold star, A++ intangibles all around

When prospects like that are not successful, it's likely because of unfortunate variables like injuries. He has flaws like every prospect, but I believe those "flaws" can be attributed to lack of experience against elite level competition.

Maybe he's not a Week 1 impact player, but he has insane physical tools, has a wealth of experience playing the position, and the mental make-up to succeed in the NFL.

I could totally see a team rolling the dice on him in the 1st, this is what I call a "Low-risk risk"... would be a no-brainer if he's on the board at our 2nd pick IMO.

How do you think he compares to Kevin Johnson? Peters, Johnson and Jones play very aggressively which I like. I hope one of the three is there with our round pick
Originally posted by jordanroberts88:
How do you think he compares to Kevin Johnson? Peters, Johnson and Jones play very aggressively which I like. I hope one of the three is there with our round pick

Johnson is my favorite CB in the draft. He just kind of glides across the field, has incredible hip movement, change of direction ability, I think he's a more ready starter than Jones. I could see Jones taking a similar trajectory as Culliver. I see both as very good NFL CB prospects.
Originally posted by jordanroberts88:

Johnson is my favorite CB in the draft. He just kind of glides across the field, has incredible hip movement, change of direction ability, I think he's a more ready starter than Jones. I could see Jones taking a similar trajectory as Culliver. I see both as very good NFL CB prospects.

I've only seen his games from draftbreakdown.com and he definitely looks the part of a top CB. There seems to be a lot of buzz around Wayne's, Darby and Peters, but Johnson has looked the best from what I've seen
Trae Wayne's is asked to do the most of all those CB's.

A good friend of mine is the DC of a very prominent hs program, and is always going to on campus coaching clinics and practices for DI programs during the off-seasons. I remember he went to Michigan St. a couple times over the last 2 years, because they run the same scheme.

I asked him what he thought of Waynes when I saw him a few weeks ago, told me the CB's in Michigan State's D are basically put on an island with no help most of the game, and their whole D is based air-tight single man coverage by the CB's.

Marcus Peters style is more "electric", and he could be just as good of a pro or better... but character flags make Waynes a better prospect.

Really wouldn't be interested in any other CB's in the 1st round, and with the 49ers signing Wright to a 3-year deal, drafting Jimmie Ward last year and Dontae Johnson showing he can play... would be hard to imagine us going CB early.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran

I don´t think he will make it out of the 2nd round. I had him in my Top 75 before his insane workout at the Combine.
Share 49ersWebzone