Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 695 users in the forums

What are our biggest needs..

Browse 49ers books and videos
Originally posted by dompernick53:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by dompernick53:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by dompernick53:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Originally posted by jonjt49:
I agree with areas of concern..however I don't think we take back qb on day 2. The first three rounds should for impact players only. Not to mention there are only too good qbs worth taking...why draft a qd that's going to be a third string guy for the next two years.... your other things are absolutely right though(I say go find two b+ guys that won't break the bank in free agency...we be better off that way....

I think there's got to be someone that's worth a 4th or 5th round pick at QB.

Like who
Sean Mannion. Don't ask me why, I just have this hunch we shouldn't pass up on him like how we did with Brady unfortunately. Bring the kid home and let him develop behind Kap.

Some scouts were saying he looked undraftable at the senior bowl practices. I don't want a rookie as Kap's backup. I'd rather have Locker or JJ over a rookie QB who shouldn't be drafted higher than the 6th.

We should definitely have a vet as Kap's backup but we should be developing a QB as well, especially with Kap's regression from last season. If what those scouts were saying is true, then Mannion should be available to be your 6th round or later QB.

If he is chilling there in the 6th then sure, I don't see the point in going earlier on any of this QBs. No sense in wasting a pick on a QB for the sake of "developing" them. There are plenty young QB's in FA and J Johnson is better than half of this prospects lol. I think scheme, poor blocking, injuries, and dropped balls played a big part in Kap's regression (wasn't even a real regression).
I definitely agree a lot of Kap's regression revolved around factors he couldn't control. In regards to Mannion, watch this video of him I believe from his RS Soph year against a stacked UCLA D (Datone Jones, Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks) to name a few. Good pocket awareness, gets the ball out relatively quick, good ball placement for the most part on his passes. Bad throw on the int but that is gonna happen to every QB now and then.


He isn't very mobile and not sure how the offense would transition if Kap got hurt. He doesn't really extend plays and you need to do that in the NFC West (had 30 fumbles and 54 INTs in his college career) he would get eaten alive behind our current line lol. There is potential and if he is there in the 6th then sure. I just don't like this qb class and just because SF might need a "developmental QB" doesn't mean they have to draft one if the value isn't there.
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Because Maiocco just quoted him as saying the team needs to build depth at cornerback. But it could very well be that's him just BSing the rest of the league.

If Baalke says that the 49ers need to build depth at CB, that makes it very clear to me that they'll be drafting DL early.

This.
I wouldn't read too much into what Baalke is saying.
Plus, depth doesn't necessarily mean spending a first/second round pick.
We built depth at that position last year and didn't take a CB until the 4th round

Exactly this. There is absolutely zero evidence Baalke is targeting a corner with the 1st pick.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by pho_t_9er:
We need better center play... Corners Corners Corners, fast tight end, big play Wr and PR/KR.. if we can find this this offseason quest 4 six will be achieved.... we can pick up Nick Fairley. Bring T. Brown back...resign Cully or Cox.. try for Cromartie.. sign Percy on the low. Draft DGB and Funchess. Wr/Te combo...

I thought Kilgore played very well when he was at center. Bring Brown back? why not just resign Cully or Cox? They don't have the cash for Fairley, Percy or Cromartie. what position would Funchess play? He is too small for a TE and can't block and has horrible hands

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by pho_t_9er:
We need better center play... Corners Corners Corners, fast tight end, big play Wr and PR/KR.. if we can find this this offseason quest 4 six will be achieved.... we can pick up Nick Fairley. Bring T. Brown back...resign Cully or Cox.. try for Cromartie.. sign Percy on the low. Draft DGB and Funchess. Wr/Te combo...

I thought Kilgore played very well when he was at center. Bring Brown back? why not just resign Cully or Cox? They don't have the cash for Fairley, Percy or Cromartie. what position would Funchess play? He is too small for a TE and can't block and has horrible hands at WR.
We are gonna do enough restructuring to make room for some moves we will have at least 15 mil to play with.. and like I said better Center play I didn't say replace. Delanie Walker played Wr in college and Te for us In the pros we need that element back.
Originally posted by pho_t_9er:
We are gonna do enough restructuring to make room for some moves we will have at least 15 mil to play with.. and like I said better Center play I didn't say replace. Delanie Walker played Wr in college and Te for us In the pros we need that element back.

My bad I must have misunderstood, center play should be much better once Kilgore is back and healthy. Millard can take on some of the Walker role next year. Funchess is slower than Walker and can't block, Walker was a very good blocker.

I hope they focus on their own FA before going elsewhere. They will also need around $5 million for draft picks.
  • crew
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 805
Got to go DL and WR with the first 2 picks. If White or Parker are still on the board at #15, you go WR there and DL in the 2nd - Carl Davis or Xavier Cooper.
If White and Parker are gone by #15, go DL with a trade down of 5-7 spots - either Malcolm Brown, Arik Armstead or Carl Davis and pick up an extra 3rd RD pick.
Then go WR in the 2nd RD - Devin Smith or Philip Dorsett.
WR , CB, OL
Lots of Needs but Baalke better take a legit crack at this WR thing. Kap has a rocket arm and our deep threat for years had been Vernon. Boldin is awesome but almost done. Even if we want to run the ball, we still need a deep threat. Baltimore had it rolling with Boldin and Torrey Smith.

Every year we mock a wr. I just want this issue solved.

I wanted Cooks so bad last year. He looks good. I just want to believe that on any given play, we could play action and Kap could launch it deep to someone who can run it down. Vernon is just not realistic deep threat anymore.
Originally posted by crake49:
Elite speed at the outside receiver position.

Another defensive lineman.

Another offensive tackle.

A corner.

A very tall tight end who used to play basketball.

Another running back.

this...

and please Baalke, for the love of God a PUNT RETURN SPECIALIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ellington is not the answer
Talent, talent, talent. Don't get too fixated on any one position. This team needs an infusion of young talent.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
I'd love to take one of the top WR's at #15, but I wouldn't mind RB Melvin Gordon at that spot either and pair him with Hyde. I'd definitely cream my pants.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
https://twitter.com/search?q=mannion%20undraftable&src=typd

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler Jan 20
So far we've seen undraftable QB Sean Mannion in practice. Just like most of his 2014 game film... #SeniorBowl

Thats one person's opinion, a guy who hasnt had the best track record in calling them over the past few years either. I'd be wary of what the talking heads are saying.


Not that im the biggest fan of Mannion but to call him "undraftable" is absurd.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 11, 2015 at 12:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Thats one person's opinion, a guy who hasnt had the best track record in calling them over the past few years either. I'd be wary of what the talking heads are saying.


Not that im the biggest fan of Mannion but to call him "undraftable" is absurd.

I think Brugler expresses the frustration of many when he see Mannion, who should be so much better. Mannion is going to be drafted, simply based on his size and the lack of QB talent in this draft. However, he flunked his opportunity at the Senior Bowl. He should have lapped that field.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by crew:
Got to go DL and WR with the first 2 picks. If White or Parker are still on the board at #15, you go WR there and DL in the 2nd - Carl Davis or Xavier Cooper.
If White and Parker are gone by #15, go DL with a trade down of 5-7 spots - either Malcolm Brown, Arik Armstead or Carl Davis and pick up an extra 3rd RD pick.
Then go WR in the 2nd RD - Devin Smith or Philip Dorsett.


Xavier Cooper or Carl Davis are two of the players that I see as options for defensive end in the second round. My third option is Mario Williams from Florida.

Both Cooper and Williams were more productive in college than Davis.

I am becoming certain that both White and Parker will be gone before we pick. If they are gone, I would seriously consider taking Jalen Strong in the first. A trade down for an extra third round pick and getting Strong would make me happy.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 11, 2015 at 8:16 AM ]
Trade down from #15 and somehow try to get 6 picks in the top 100. That is my draft strategy. This team has Holes all over with not too much depth. WR needs size and speed and CB is a Major need. DT/3/4 End is a MAJOR Need. OG is a Major need.

Why not trade down from from 15 to say 25 to 30 and pick up another 2nd rounder. We'd still be able to get a Good WR/CB/DE/OG/RB in any order. This team needs reinforcements.
I'm telling ya ... our first pick in the draft is going to be TE. Davis is going to have to be released or restructured. If released, no way we go into the season with Vance McDonald and his two catches and one fumble as the primary TE.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone