There are 276 users in the forums

Pwillis52beasty's 2015 Mock #1 (first four rounds)

This is a mock with some risk, but with a lot of homerun potential on offense. Start off with key free agent resignings and guys we let walk..

Resign Gore and Culiver

Justin Smith comes back for another year

Let Iupati and Crabtree walk

Round 1 (15) Traded with Eagles for their first round (20) and third round (84) picks.

Round 1 (20) Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin 6'1 210- A top 10 talent and the BPA, but naturally he falls a little bit in the first round because teams continue to devalue the running back position. We pair him with Hyde to have one of the scariest running back tandems in the league for the next 8 years. He also gets to learn behind a future hall of famer in Gore. Can never have enough running backs and with the emphasis on getting back to running, why not have Gore, Hyde, Gordon, and Hunter all splitting carries. Also don't know how Hunter will be coming back from the injury.

Round 2 (46) Dorial Green Beckham WR Oklahoma 6'5 225- Another top 10 talent. Falls far in the draft in my wishful scenario because teams are frightened by another possible Josh Gordon type of case. However, he could be another Alshon Jeffery, Dez Bryant, Randy Moss, type of case as well. I'd be more than willing to pull the trigger on a guy with a ceiling this high in the second round.

Round 3 (79) Arie Kouandijo OG Alabama 6'5 318- Possible replacement for Iupati. Big and athletic.

Round 3 (84)- Henry Anderson DE Stanford 6'6 295- Big upside. Good with hands. Can learn behind Justin Smith and him and Carradine can wreak havoc at the end positions for years to come.

Round 4 (123)- Ladarius Gunter CB Miami 6'1 200- Big corner that will compete with Brock, Johnson, Ward for playing time.

In the later rounds, I'd grab a pass rusher, another offensive linemen, and another defensive linemen.

Our offense would now have the potential to be a straight up nightmare for opposing defenses. You're talking about two guys that have Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson like potential. Not saying they will necessarily be anything near those players, but they have a ceiling that is close to that. Imagine having a dynamic running back in Gordon and a huge super athletic receiver in DGB to stretch the field. We could do so much as an offense if the two were to pan out and if we used them correctly.

I'd try and go for the homerun on offense if I were Baalke. We can draft defense later because we are much better at finding defense later and developing those positions.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Feb 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM ]
Very unlikely but wouldn't be opposed if this actually happened
I just don't see the point in grabbing Gordon in the 1st, we have Hyde and it's not like he was a bad rb when given a chance this past season. Why would the eagles trade with us? Who would they be targeting at 15? I like all your other picks

I think a trade down would be the best scenario for SF
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I just don't see the point in grabbing Gordon in the 1st, we have Hyde and it's not like he was a bad rb when given a chance this past season. Why would the eagles trade with us? Who would they be targeting at 15? I like all your other picks

Not to mention Kendall Hunter will be coming back who is also a decent runner.
I'd be very disappointed if we took Gordon in Round 1. We don't need a Rb with a 1st td pick, we need guys who can play and help this year. My problem with your scenario is it brings gore back, and has Hyde/gordon fighting for carries.

I'd be up for trading back though. I think that could help us draft a player whose value more closely resembles a pick that can help us. I'd love to draft Maxx Williams at 20 if we moved back.

I also like DGB in rd 2, not sure if he's there though. Solid addition picks thereafter.

I'd also say a Gordon/DGB comparison would be Shady McCoy/AJ Green
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Yup hopefully he will be ready to role next season, I think they will draft a RB because they do every year just not a 15 lol.
49ers draft the best player available. We have a dline coach as our head coach who is great at developing guys. We know how to draft defensive guys. We struggle drafting offensive playmakers. That is why we should target playmakers early that have huge upsides, as opposed to trying to find gems later in the draft. Put Gordon and DGB on this team, and we immediately become one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL.... if used properly. Again we don't know how Hunter will be coming back form injury. Right now really we only have Hyde to count on for the future. Gordon is a difference maker that could be the next great running back in the NFL.

Yup hopefully he will be ready to role next season, I think they will draft a RB because they do every year just not a 15 lol.

Yeah because drafting a running back in the first is such a crazy idea You must not realize how special of a talent Gordon is. I'd take a Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson, Jamal Charles, Lesean McCoy, etc. all day every day with the 15th pick in a draft, especially on a team that's already as talented as us. See the type of impact Marshawn has had for the Seahawks? Exactly..

We don't need to reach for a defensive linemen in the first... Our specialty is at drafting defensive guys and developing them. This team needs threats on offense that have the potential to be dominant. That's what you would be getting here.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Yeah because drafting a running back in the first is such a crazy idea You must not realize how special of a talent Gordon is. I'd take a Marshawn Lynch, Adrian Peterson, Jamal Charles, Lesean McCoy, etc. all day every day with the 15th pick in a draft, especially on a team that's already as talented as us. See the type of impact Marshawn has had for the Seahawks? Exactly..

We don't need to reach for a defensive linemen in the first... Our specialty is at drafting defensive guys and developing them. This team needs threats on offense that have the potential to be dominant. That's what you would be getting here.

Yeah it's crazy because they just drafted arguably the best RB last year's draft. You have them resigning Gore, drafting Gordon is the 1st, Hyde is in his 2nd year, Hunter resigned with us, and Millard is coming back from a ACL. They all can't run the ball lol.

What you fail to understand is none of those RBs you mentioned have any other back behind them. Who's gonna be the featured back? Gore? Gordon? Hyde? We already have a good RB ready to roll in Hyde. It would literally be a waste of a pick. I agree we need offensive threats that's why we need a WR either in the 1st or 2nd....not a RB.
I don't see the value in re-signing Gore if you're going to draft Gordon. Don't forget Hunter's back healthy and ready to contribute.

Also think Cox will be re-signed before Culliver.

With Brandon Thomas, Looney, Kilgore & Marcus Martin competing for LG/C, I don't get drafting Kouandijo. OT is a bigger need, given Boone's easily the best swing OT option behind Staley & AD. JT needs better than J Martin.

Anderson's a good DE...but does he really have the right stuff to replace Justin Smith? I'd say no. I look for Baalke to grab one of the DL studs (i.e. Goldman/Malcolm Brown) earlier than the 3rd rd.

I like Gordon and GB to beef up the offense, but am sure Tomsula will lobby hard for a potential JS replacement early. Like the big CB Gunter.

If I'm Baalke I'd go get Hardy on a short term prove yourself deal 1 or 2 yr contract. His charges were dismissed! Then draft best WR available with first pick!

Yeah it's crazy because they just drafted arguably the best RB last year's draft. You have them resigning Gore, drafting Gordon is the 1st, Hyde is in his 2nd year, Hunter resigned with us, and Millard is coming back from a ACL. They all can't run the ball lol.

What you fail to understand is none of those RBs you mentioned have any other back behind them. Who's gonna be the featured back? Gore? Gordon? Hyde? We already have a good RB ready to roll in Hyde. It would literally be a waste of a pick. I agree we need offensive threats that's why we need a WR either in the 1st or 2nd....not a RB.

Millard's a fullback that was undrafted. Hunter is coming off back to back injuries. Gore would be in his final year. Gordon and Hyde would be a crazy duo for years to come. You act like teams never used three runningbacks and that injuries never happen at the running back position. Again, you don't realize how big of a talent Gordon is and what this team truly needs. We had third stringers on D last year and still had a top 5 defense. We find gems on defense all the time in later rounds. How often do we find gems on offense? What do we lack on offense? Elite playmakers. I rest my case..
It's funny because no one expected us to ever draft Hyde either. We had Gore, James, and we thought Lattimore was going to be good to go. Gordon is better than Hyde and they would compliment each other very nicely for years. With the emphasis back on the running game for this team, don't be surprised to see a running back taken. Gordon is the best back in this draft and has the potential to be the best in the whole league. If you think it's dumb to take a guy like that, you have no idea how talented he is and how much a premiere running back helps a QB and a team as a whole.

Millard's a fullback that was undrafted. Hunter is coming off back to back injuries. Gore would be in his final year. Gordon and Hyde would be a crazy duo for years to come. You act like teams never used three runningbacks and that injuries never happen at the running back position. Again, you don't realize how big of a talent Gordon is and what this team truly needs. We had third stringers on D last year and still had a top 5 defense. We find gems on defense all the time in later rounds. How often do we find gems on offense? What do we lack on offense? Elite playmakers. I rest my case..

Millard can be used in multiple ways including running the ball don't get me wrong Gordon is real good, but you don't draft a RB at 15 to touch the ball 10x a game. I mean do you plan on running the ball 40+ times a game? What teams have 3 workhorse RBs? Perfect example is Stewart and Williams in Carolina, they spit carries and the running game blows. Once Williams got hurt and Stewart got all the touches their running game improved a lot, RBs need touches and splitting them 3 ways makes zero sense.

Players like Gordon, Gore, and Hyde are better when they get their 20 + touches a game not 10.

I'm all for going offense early but not running back. There is plenty of depth at that position in this draft. Hyde is the future workhorse and was a early 2nd rd pick last year for a reason. I like the DGB, Anderson, and Gunter picks though.
It's funny because no one expected us to ever draft Hyde either. We had Gore, James, and we thought Lattimore was going to be good to go. Gordon is better than Hyde and they would compliment each other very nicely for years. With the emphasis back on the running game for this team, don't be surprised to see a running back taken. Gordon is the best back in this draft and has the potential to be the best in the whole league. If you think it's dumb to take a guy like that, you have no idea how talented he is and how much a premiere running back helps a QB and a team as a whole.

20th pick in the 1st is wayyy different than 57th in the 2nd. The FO probably had a idea that LMJ wasn't gonna be in the picture and Latt wasn't doing as well as expected.

you act like Hyde is awful or something lol. He came off of a 1,500 campaign his senior year ( 208 touches) Gordon had a beast season 2,500 yard (343 touches) but has also had 550 touches in his past 2 seasons which is a ton of wear and tear for a RB coming out of college.
Share 49ersWebzone