Carl Davis-DL-Iowa

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
From WalterFootball:

.......However, Davis has flunked the team interviews.......He told teams that he should only play about half the snaps in a game in order to be effective. Teams felt he came across as very arrogant and lazy. Davis is going to need to turn that around before his Combine and pre-draft visit interviews.......

LoL.

If true, any interest I may have had is gone. It is WalterFootball though so who knows how reliable the info is.

He might be a guy Tomsula could get through to by putting him on the bench for awhile. The good news is that if he's just immature he may drop to the niners in the second or even third round...Keep talking Carl!

If he falls to the 2nd, I'd be excited. He'd be just what we need to replace Ray Mac, especially if our guys can put some fire into him.

Yes, I had him in the 2nd round in my Mock Draft but perhaps they can wait until the 3rd if he really annoys GMs.

If he falls out of the first I would be willing to reopen the possibility of taking him, but not before that.
I read that Davis came across as arrogant and lazy in Senior Bowl interviews. Reportedly he had no qualms about taking himself out of games at Iowa. He's got the size, strength, etc. to be an effective DL, but it sounds like his attitude going into the NFL is questionable.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I read that Davis came across as arrogant and lazy in Senior Bowl interviews. Reportedly he had no qualms about taking himself out of games at Iowa. He's got the size, strength, etc. to be an effective DL, but it sounds like his attitude going into the NFL is questionable.

If Tomsula can't get the best out of him then he would be a disappointment. I would just hope Justin is still on the team if they draft this guy. Go ahead and whine rookie as Justin is kicking it! He would look like an idiot.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FunkNinerFlex:
From WalterFootball:

One player who has had a mixed Senior Bowl is Iowa defensive tackle Carl Davis. He has displayed a nice skill set with strength, size, and a burst. However, Davis has flunked the team interviews. He has said he didn't work hard in practice at Iowa because he was going against young scout team linemen and he didn't want to risk injury against some overzealous underclassmen. He told teams that he should only play about half the snaps in a game in order to be effective. Teams felt he came across as very arrogant and lazy. Davis is going to need to turn that around before his Combine and pre-draft visit interviews.

2015 Senior Bowl: Thursday Rumor Mill By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2015rumors4.php

Who is this guy? Can he be trusted?

Next Albett Haynesworth?
Originally posted by buck:
2015 Senior Bowl: Thursday Rumor Mill By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2015rumors4.php

Who is this guy? Can he be trusted?

This has been repeated by others from the Senior Bowl. That's under discussion the past few pages and he does have that red flag...but his upside is pretty great. He just needs a coach who will motivate his rear end to action.
  • buck
  • Veteran
This has been repeated by others from the Senior Bowl. That's under discussion the past few pages and he does have that red flag...but his upside is pretty great. He just needs a coach who will motivate his rear end to action.

Who else repeated it?

I have looked for links to the reports, but I guess I missed them.

I will look again.

edit: I looked and all I see is the one report from Walther repeated various times.

Have any other pundits, scouts, or informed sources confirmed this story?

[ Edited by buck on Feb 7, 2015 at 8:47 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Carl Davis

Weaknesses Plays heavy-legged. Has smaller "radius of impact" than scouts are looking for in a high draft pick. Lacked production as pass rusher over last two seasons. Pursuit can be lazy and uninspired. As he fatigues, play quality falls way off. Rarely wins immediately. An "eventual" player rather than sudden.

Bottom Line Davis has the height, weight and length of a first-rounder, but his draft value will be hindered by his lack of productivity as a pass rusher. If Davis can get his overall production to match his talent and traits, he'll have a long NFL career

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/carl-davis?id=2552280
Who else repeated it?

I will look again.

edit: I looked and all I see is the one report from Walther repeated various times.

I'll try to find the source I first read but for evey negative story I read three saying he helped himself by playing and practicing very well. One of those predraft stories to move him down?

• buck
  • Veteran
Carl Davis from CBS

WEAKNESSES: While Davis looks overpowering, too often he plays small. More of a short-area defender with only average body control and redirection technique and while he shows good knee bend and flexibility, he often struggles with leverage issues. Bad habit of standing up, negating his power and getting pushed back.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1759544/carl-davis
  • buck
  • Veteran
Winners and losers from the 2015 Senior Bowl By Chase Goodbread

Carl Davis, DT, Iowa: NFL Media's Mike Mayock said Davis' play in Mobile might have vaulted him into the first-round conversation. At 321 pounds, he is a force inside and proved to be very difficult to move at the point of attack. Quality defensive tackles are difficult to find at the pro level and Davis' play in Mobile will make him one of the most closely watched defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine next month.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000463448/article/winners-and-losers-from-the-2015-senior-bowl
Who else repeated it?

I will look again.

I'll try to find the source I first read but for evey negative story I read three saying he helped himself by playing and practicing very well. One of those predraft stories to move him down?

I looked. I have found nothing that describes him as lazy or arrogant---except for that oft quoted take from Walther.

I am still looking.
  • buck
  • Veteran
from GBN

At least in terms of impact plays, Shelton was probably outplayed by Carl Davis of Iowa, the game's other top-ranked DT, who managed to knife into the backfield on 4-5 play when he literally exploded off the snap and was able to really disrupt things. What was a tad disconcerting regarding Davis, though, was that he didn't do much on plays when his initial surge didn't get him into the backfield; he struggled at times to hold the point of attack, especially when double-team and didn't always find the ball. And while he was able to walk his man back into the pocket on several pass rushes, like Shelton didn't show much in the way of effective pass-rush moves.

http://gbnreport.com/senior-bowl-game-report-defensive-linemen/
  • buck
  • Veteran
February 07, 2015

NFL Draft Risers: Carl Davis, DT, Iowa

Allow me to introduce you to the fastest rising prospect in the 2015 NFL draft class, fourth year senior defensive tackle Carl Davis from the University of Iowa. In 2015 Davis didn't give the Hawkeyes any gaudy statistics, only recording 36 total tackles and 2 sacks in 12 games. However with that said Davis had a great impact away from the stat sheet where it matters most displaying flashes of legit talent in every game he played and at times looking like a physically unstoppable force.

Reasons For The Rise

Over the past month or so Davis has shot up more draft boards than any other prospect out there, how come? Well despite Davis's impressive measurables and athleticism that has been able to intrigue NFL general managers and scouts from the very beginning he has now shown them another aspect of his game courtesy of the Reese's Senior Bowl, consistency.

On tape Davis's consistency seems to be the biggest knock on him, but at the Senior Bowl not only did he show consistency, but he showed extreme consistency beating nearly every offensive lineman who he matched up across from. This made scouts and general managers turn their heads and rethink previous notions by legitimately consider him as a possible first round selection.

Overview Player Evaluation

Positives

+Impressive combination of size and athleticism for a 1-technique.

+Shows good explosiveness and strength with a strong initial first punch.

+Possesses the ability to control blockers and dictate his blocker's positioning.

+Does a great job getting off blocks and not allowing offensive lineman to wash him out of a play.

+Ability to play the 3-technique

+Light on his feet for his size.

Negatives

-Too often loses the battle of leverage and gets stood up by his blocker.

-Although he showed excellent consistency at the Senior Bowl he lacked play to play consistency on tape while at Iowa.

-Production wasn't where you'd like it to be based on ability.

http://ontheclockfb.sportsblog.com/posts/1775594/2015_nfl_draft_risers__carl_davis__dt__iowa.html

I am finding nothing that supports the "report" that Davis is either lazy or arrogant.

Winners and losers from the 2015 Senior Bowl By Chase Goodbread

Carl Davis, DT, Iowa: NFL Media's Mike Mayock said Davis' play in Mobile might have vaulted him into the first-round conversation. At 321 pounds, he is a force inside and proved to be very difficult to move at the point of attack. Quality defensive tackles are difficult to find at the pro level and Davis' play in Mobile will make him one of the most closely watched defensive linemen at the NFL Scouting Combine next month.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000463448/article/winners-and-losers-from-the-2015-senior-bowl

I looked. I have found nothing that describes him as lazy or arrogant---except for that oft quoted take from Walther.

I am still looking.

NFL Insider has some negative comments in their evaluation--on Toughness and Motor:

Bull in a china shop that's tough to handle when plays hard but inconsistent underachiever. Motor runs hot and cold and better effort rushing passer than chasing run. Can fight through double teams. Can also take easy way out by pulling up one-on-one and trying to sell holding call instead of fighting through. Not an instigator and would like to see him play with more fire in belly. Lacks nasty disposition and aggressive nature.
Share 49ersWebzone