LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 175 users in the forums

Garrett Grayson-QB-Colorado State

So while we're all freaking out about quarterbacks, let me throw my hat into the ring. Out of what I think is a very weak QB class, Grayson is one of my favorite QB's right now. He quietly has become one of the very best quarterbacks in college football. He owns pretty much every single passing record at CSU. There's nothing fancy about him, physically he's not really notable in any way but he's got decent arm strength, shows good decision making in the pocket, has enough mobility to move around and get away from the pass rush. His accuracy throwing the football has been improving, his footwork still leaves something to be desired but by all accounts he does possess good intangibles and strong leadership skills.

If he was to be able in the 3rd or 4th rounds, I'd say he's worth a look but any earlier than that and I would think that it is reaching. He still has a bit of work to do, particularly in regards to his footwork, he also has a tendency to stare down his receiver at times but he's definitely more along the lines of a typical pocket QB. If nothing else, I could see him being a pretty good backup QB. One thing I really love is that no matter what he's doing, he's pretty much always keeping his eyes downfield, he has enough mobility to take off and run, but he's always looking to throw the ball, to find someone open, he reminds me of Rodgers in that regard. He can run and make plays with his feet, but he opts to wait to make the pass instead.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
My favorite mid round QB for us. Your report is spot on. Nice work.

Here Is A Feature

we don't need a QB we have Gabbert
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Said no one ever.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Said no one ever.

i know
Few things I don't like:

He doesn't appear to have a very strong arm
Doesn't scan the field a lot and locks onto receivers

Few things I like:

Looks comfortable in the pocket
Decisive player, not afraid to make throws to receivers who are one-on-one

I see him as a 5th round talent. Nothing he does amazes me, but he seems to be quite a capable player. Career backup I think, but could develop into a solid starter if given time to learn the system.
From these highlights and the interview, he looks good with some strong QB intangibles (leadership, competitiveness, instincts, etc.). Not bad size (6'2", 220). You always have to wonder how a college QB's game will translate to the NFL level. Did Grayson take many snaps under Center or was it mostly out of the gun?
Phoenix, would you mind to tell us the Scouts inc. report?
Originally posted by communist:
Phoenix, would you mind to tell us the Scouts inc. report?

I doubt they even have one for Grayson yet.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
From these highlights and the interview, he looks good with some strong QB intangibles (leadership, competitiveness, instincts, etc.). Not bad size (6'2", 220). You always have to wonder how a college QB's game will translate to the NFL level. Did Grayson take many snaps under Center or was it mostly out of the gun?

CSU plays in a pro style offense so thats another plus for Grayson.

Steve Fairchild who was the head coach at CSU when Grayson got there was an NFL offensive assistant and offensive coordinator. The current CSU offensive coordinator was on staffs ran by Jack Elway, John's father and was once the head coach at San Jose State. The current(suddenly former) coach at CSU was the OC at Alabama for about four or five years where he ran a largely pro style offense.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

CSU plays in a pro style offense so thats another plus for Grayson.

Steve Fairchild who was the head coach at CSU when Grayson got there was an NFL offensive assistant and offensive coordinator. The current CSU offensive coordinator was on staffs ran by Jack Elway, John's father and was once the head coach at San Jose State. The current(suddenly former) coach at CSU was the OC at Alabama for about four or five years where he ran a largely pro style offense.

That's great to hear - running such an offense and having that influence will definitely help his transition into the NFL. Grayson could end up being a solid starter in the NFL...maybe it'll just take a year or two as a back-up first. He may not last past the 3rd Rd.
A poor-man's Phillip Rivers
Originally posted by ivanm05:
A poor-man's Phillip Rivers

Pretty good comparison actually
I prefer dick grayson
i went Colorado state and owning QB records there isn't that much an accomplishment...trust me haha! Ive seen him live and he is okay. Wouldn't expect him to be anything too great.
Share 49ersWebzone