There are 218 users in the forums

Get Mariota

Originally posted by DeUh:
Nr. 1 QB in the 2015 Draft Class. Not even close.

It's a really bad QB class.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yeah epic bad but where would you rank him among other 1st round QBs drafted in the last 3 years ?

Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin III
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
EJ Manuel
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

*in no particular order

Yeah epic bad but where would you rank him among other 1st round QBs drafted in the last 3 years ?

Andrew Luck
Marcus Mariota
Robert Griffin III
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
EJ Manuel
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

*in no particular order

Right there.

Mariota is a better passer than most think.
Originally posted by Heisenberg:

Andrew Luck
Marcus Mariota
Robert Griffin III
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
EJ Manuel
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

*in no particular order

Right there.

I agree he's the #2 guy out of all of those players
[ Edited by LZRD_WZRD on Dec 22, 2014 at 5:02 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:
You contradict yourself in that statement. How can you say he's a bad passer if you haven't watched college ball this year? You question consistency? Name me a more consistent QB over the past 3 years than Mariota. If a bad passer has a 38/2 TD to int ratio sign me up. And for those thinking Winston is a better "passer", he threw more ints this year than Mariota did his entire college career. He's far from a Kap or RG3 type QB, he's a pass first guy that happens to be fast as f**k. I've been watching him play since he was in high school when none of you even knew who he was, except Kolohe. I'll stop talking now, sorry, just don't get the hate.

Goff is the better NFL prospect than Mariotta. He makes the throws that Mariotta doesn't. It's not that Mariotta is a bad QB but what I saw against Levi's earlier this year was a QB who had 8 million years to throw and his receivers were wide open. Mariotta also missed several easy throws that a top QB should make.

That's why you don't spend a #1 on Mariota because he's not a generational QB talent like Luck, and isn't nearly as good as Rodgers was in 2004. Too much of a risk on a guy who chances are isn't going to be all time great.
Originally posted by The411:
Goff is the better NFL prospect than Mariotta. He makes the throws that Mariotta doesn't. It's not that Mariotta is a bad QB but what I saw against Levi's earlier this year was a QB who had 8 million years to throw and his receivers were wide open. Mariotta also missed several easy throws that a top QB should make.

That's why you don't spend a #1 on Mariota because he's not a generational QB talent like Luck, and isn't nearly as good as Rodgers was in 2004. Too much of a risk on a guy who chances are isn't going to be all time great.

Okay, you're entitled to your opinion as I am mine. Only time will tell who turns out the better pro. Mariota or Goff? Gonna love revisiting this thread in a few years. I didn't know we had so many QB experts on this board that already know Mariota is gonna bust
Okay, you're entitled to your opinion as I am mine. Only time will tell who turns out the better pro. Mariota or Goff? Gonna love revisiting this thread in a few years. I didn't know we had so many QB experts on this board that already know Mariota is gonna bust

Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion. I never said Mariota would be a bust, I simply said he's not a good choice at #1 because there are some questions that haven't been answered about him, and unless the guy you are choosing is no doubter you're better off choosing a top Lt or interior DL lineman.

There have been so many busts at the QB position.

'67 Best QB Bob Griese was taken 4th after Steve Spurrier who went 3rd
'68 Kenny Stabler didn't get picked until pick #52 in the second round behind such luminaries as Greg Landry, Gary Beban and Mike Livingston
'69 Ever hear of Greg Cook (#5 pick) or Marty Domires (#11 pick) Yeah me either.
'70 Terry Bradshaw worked out as the #1 overall but I'm still waiting for the hall of fame ceremony for Mike Phipps (#3 overall pick)
'71 #1 Jim Plunkett was nearly a bust until he got new life with the Raiders, Archie Manningt didn't exactly set the world a light as #2 overall, Dan Pastronini is #3 overall pick legend, amirite? Never mind that Ken Anderson was the #67 pick and Joe Theismann went #99 in the 4th round
'72 Jerry Tagge (#11 pick) and John Reavers (#14) were the Drew Brees and Tom Brady of their eras, no?
'73 Bert Jones (#2) loved him in the Miller commercials but Jaworkski at 37 and especially Fouts at 64 were better.
'74 Hey the got one right Danny White ... except he went #63
'75 Loved Steve Bartkowski but a #1 not a chance
'76 Richard Todd (#3 pick) Made everyone forget about Namath, didn't he?
'77 It was only just yesterday that I was saying to my friend that we needed more dynamic passing duos than Steve Pisarkiewicz (#19 overall) and Tommy Kramer(#27 overall)
'78 If Doug Williams (#17) hadn't won the Super bowl would anyone know who he was?
'79 Loved the Throwin' Samoan Jack Thompson (#3 pick) but the NFL didn't. Simms was a good return for #7 overall but then there's that Montana guy who went #82 overall
'80 Ahh Marc(k) squared Marc Wilson (#15) and Mark Malone (#28) their legacy as NFL stalwarts lasts the test of time
'81 Love my Cal guys but Rich Campbell had a forgetting NFL career (#6 overall pick)
'82 If only Art could lay off the wagers (#4 overall) McMahon was good for #5 overall
'83 The famed 1983 class Elway (#1 worked out) as did Kelly (#15) and Marino at (#27), O'Brien and Eason were fairly decent and Blackledge love his eating segments on prime time college football segments
'84 Boomer good QB but #58 and Steve Young but he was an LA Express kind of guy.
'85 Randall was fun but he was only #37 off the board
'86 Chris er um I mean Jim went #3 and who can forget Chuck Long #12
'87 Drafting a colorblind QB with the #1 overall QB... brilliant! Sorry Vinny T Kelly Stouffer is one of the great ones. Chris Miller wasn't half bad if he wasn't concussed. Harbaugh was a scrapper at #26
'88 Chris Chandler at #76 first QB picked
'89 Troy Aikman (#1) was a great one
'90 Jeff George (#1) Rocket arm but a 10 cent head Andre Ware loved you with Houston ... in college (#7)
'91 If only Dan Mcgwire (#16) was a good as brother was in baseball, and Todd Marovich I'm sorry your father was a dick, but Favre was available at #33.
'92 Can't get enough of the Houston Oil.... Cougars David Klinger #6 lest anyone forget touchdown Tommy Maddox at (#25)
'93 Drew is #1 Drew is #1 well until he wasn't and Brady came in and Wally Pipp'd Drew. Rick Mirer(#2) amazing pro QB.
'94 Health Shuler (#3), Trent Dilfer (#6)
'95 Steve McNair (Rip at #3), Kerry Collins at (#5)
'96 Erase this year from NFL draft memory for QBs tony Banks was the top at #52 and it only got worse from there ...
'97 Ahh Jim Druckenmiller (#26) who doesn't love this pick as a 49er fan espeically when Jake Plummer didn't go until #42
'98 Was a tough one Peyton Manning lived up to the hype Ryan Leaf (#2) set a land speed record for busting
'99 Tim Couch (#1) was the greatest QB ever to ... (fill in the blank) be coached by Hal Mumme? Mcnabb gimme your Chunky Soup (#2) Akili Smith (first Oregon QB to go this high (#3) Daunte Culpepper (#11), Cade Mcknown (#12)
'00 Chad Pennington (#18) proof positive that Randy Moss can turn a CFL QB into a first round draft pick. Oh look there's that Tom Brady guy sitting at #199.
'01 Mick Vick at #1 or Drew Brees at #32?
'02 I think David Carr (#1) and Joey Harrington (#3) should be getting fitted for their HoF jackets, no, or should they wait in line for Patrick Ramsey (#32)
'03 Carson Palmer (#1) and Byron Leftwitch (#7), Kyle Boller (#19), Rex Grossman (#22)
'04 Eli Manning (#1) Phillip Rivers (#4) Roethlisberge #11 JP Losman (#22)
'05 Quite possibly the worst NFL draft for the Niners they get Alex small hands Smith at #1 while Aaron Rodgers goes to hated Green Bay at #24. Jason Campbell (#25)
'06 Ooh which one should I take Vince young (#3), Matt Leinart (#10), Jay Cutler (#11)
'07 JaMarcus (#1) too bad he liked the purple drank too much but hey Brady Quinn (#22) was a superstar, right?
08 Matt Ryan at #3 and Flacco at #18 good Qbs but not HoF by any stretch.
'09 Matt Stafford (#1) got love that 0-17 record versus winning teams on the road. Mark Sanchez (#5), Josh Freeman (#17)
'10 I think Sam Bradford is good but I can't tell because his career seems like one big injury (#1), but don't worry Tim Tebow will save the day (#25)
'11 Cam Newton (#1) (he took the money have no doubts) Jake Locker (#8), Blaine Gabbert (#10), Christian Ponder (#12) Good thing Andy Dalton was left on the board at #35
'12 Ahh the 1 v 2 question all over again didn't work out for #2 previously and it's not working out for #2 now. Luck (#1) Griffin (#2) Ryan Tannehill, and 28 year old rookie Brandon Weeden (#22) good thing Russell Wilson wasn't available at #75
'13 EJ Manuel (#16) and Geno Smith (#39) yeah this QB class straight up sucked ...
'14 Blake Bortles (#3), Johnny Manziel (#22) Teddy Bridgewater (#32) Derek Carr #36. Pretty sad when the #36 pick shows more than the #36 pick on 2011 (CPK)

So maybe now you see why I'd leary of taking Mariota aside from the fact that I have questions about his ability throw balls into tight spaces with accuracy under pressure?
[ Edited by The411 on Dec 22, 2014 at 4:47 PM ]
Nobody is a no doubter regardless of position. My point wasn't necessarily towards you, I just don't understand lots of people in here saying he won't pan out before he ever takes a snap, let alone even declare yet. You can list as many former picks as you want and you nor anybody else, including myself knows how Mariota will turn out. And like I said to you and another person in this thread, only time will tell and we'll see who's right.

Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion. I never said Mariota would be a bust, I simply said he's not a good choice at #1 because there are some questions that haven't been answered about him, and unless the guy you are choosing is no doubter you're better off choosing a top Lt or interior DL lineman.

'68 Kenny Stabler didn't get picked until pick #52 in the second round behind such luminaries as Greg Landry, Gary Beban and Mike Livingston
'69 Ever hear of Greg Cook (#5 pick) or Marty Domires (#11 pick) Yeah me either.
'70 Terry Bradshaw worked out as the #1 overall but I'm still waiting for the hall of fame ceremony for Mike Phipps (#3 overall pick)
'71 #1 Jim Plunkett was nearly a bust until he got new life with the Raiders, Archie Manningt didn't exactly set the world a light as #2 overall, Dan Pastronini is #3 overall pick legend, amirite? Never mind that Ken Anderson was the #67 pick and Joe Theismann went #99 in the 4th round
'72 Jerry Tagge (#11 pick) and John Reavers (#14) were the Drew Brees and Tom Brady of their eras, no?
'73 Bert Jones (#2) loved him in the Miller commercials but Jaworkski at 37 and especially Fouts at 64 were better.
'77 It was only just yesterday that I was saying to my friend that we needed more dynamic passing duos than Steve Pisarkiewicz (#19 overall) and Tommy Kramer(#27 overall)
'78 If Doug Williams (#17) hadn't won the Super bowl would anyone know who he was?
'79 Loved the Throwin' Samoan Jack Thompson (#3 pick) but the NFL didn't. Simms was a good return for #7 overall but then there's that Montana guy who went #82 overall
'80 Ahh Marc(k) squared Marc Wilson (#15) and Mark Malone (#28) their legacy as NFL stalwarts lasts the test of time
'81 Love my Cal guys but Rich Campbell had a forgetting NFL career (#6 overall pick)
'82 If only Art could lay off the wagers (#4 overall) McMahon was good for #5 overall
'83 The famed 1983 class Elway (#1 worked out) as did Kelly (#15) and Marino at (#27), O'Brien and Eason were fairly decent and Blackledge love his eating segments on prime time college football segments
'84 Boomer good QB but #58 and Steve Young but he was an LA Express kind of guy.
'87 Drafting a colorblind QB with the #1 overall QB... brilliant! Sorry Vinny T Kelly Stouffer is one of the great ones. Chris Miller wasn't half bad if he wasn't concussed. Harbaugh was a scrapper at #26
'90 Jeff George (#1) Rocket arm but a 10 cent head Andre Ware loved you with Houston ... in college (#7)
'91 If only Dan Mcgwire (#16) was a good as brother was in baseball, and Todd Marovich I'm sorry your father was a dick, but Favre was available at #33.
'92 Can't get enough of the Houston Oil.... Cougars David Klinger #6 lest anyone forget touchdown Tommy Maddox at (#25)
'93 Drew is #1 Drew is #1 well until he wasn't and Brady came in and Wally Pipp'd Drew. Rick Mirer(#2) amazing pro QB.
'96 Erase this year from NFL draft memory for QBs tony Banks was the top at #52 and it only got worse from there ...
'97 Ahh Jim Druckenmiller (#26) who doesn't love this pick as a 49er fan espeically when Jake Plummer didn't go until #42
'98 Was a tough one Peyton Manning lived up to the hype Ryan Leaf (#2) set a land speed record for busting
'99 Tim Couch (#1) was the greatest QB ever to ... (fill in the blank) be coached by Hal Mumme? Mcnabb gimme your Chunky Soup (#2) Akili Smith (first Oregon QB to go this high (#3) Daunte Culpepper (#11), Cade Mcknown (#12)
'00 Chad Pennington (#18) proof positive that Randy Moss can turn a CFL QB into a first round draft pick. Oh look there's that Tom Brady guy sitting at #199.
'02 I think David Carr (#1) and Joey Harrington (#3) should be getting fitted for their HoF jackets, no, or should they wait in line for Patrick Ramsey (#32)
'03 Carson Palmer (#1) and Byron Leftwitch (#7), Kyle Boller (#19), Rex Grossman (#22)
'05 Quite possibly the worst NFL draft for the Niners they get Alex small hands Smith at #1 while Aaron Rodgers goes to hated Green Bay at #24. Jason Campbell (#25)
'06 Ooh which one should I take Vince young (#3), Matt Leinart (#10), Jay Cutler (#11)
'07 JaMarcus (#1) too bad he liked the purple drank too much but hey Brady Quinn (#22) was a superstar, right?
'09 Matt Stafford (#1) got love that 0-17 record versus winning teams on the road. Mark Sanchez (#5), Josh Freeman (#17)
'10 I think Sam Bradford is good but I can't tell because his career seems like one big injury (#1), but don't worry Tim Tebow will save the day (#25)
'11 Cam Newton (#1) (he took the money have no doubts) Jake Locker (#8), Blaine Gabbert (#10), Christian Ponder (#12) Good thing Andy Dalton was left on the board at #35
'12 Ahh the 1 v 2 question all over again didn't work out for #2 previously and it's not working out for #2 now. Luck (#1) Griffin (#2) Ryan Tannehill, and 28 year old rookie Brandon Weeden (#22) good thing Russell Wilson wasn't available at #75
'13 EJ Manuel (#16) and Geno Smith (#39) yeah this QB class straight up sucked ...
'14 Blake Bortles (#3), Johnny Manziel (#22) Teddy Bridgewater (#32) Derek Carr #36. Pretty sad when the #36 pick shows more than the #36 pick on 2011 (CPK)

So maybe now you see why I'd leary of taking Mariota aside from the fact that I have questions about his ability throw balls into tight spaces with accuracy under pressure?

brilliant!

you win the internet. seriously brilliant piece as to why its WAAAYYYY to risky to just draft the "best" qb prospect if there are ANY questions.

but like every other year
"this time its different"
[ Edited by mtl_49er on Dec 24, 2014 at 9:01 AM ]

I can tell haven't watched Mariota play that much.
To me, it sounds like you are a Wash. St fan and watched Mariota a couple times this year.

First off when you say pressure, do you mean pressure that an average college Qb faces? Or that a QB who is playing behind walk on lineman faces?
Because there is a major difference when playing in the PAC12.

In my book Mariota should be classified as a pocket passer with the ability to scramble.
Not a hybrid like Kap or Cam.

I've seen this kid make throws some pro QB's cannot make.

He's not NFL ready in terms of reads but the dude has Russell Wilson type of instinct and that's worth a lot.
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:

Andrew Luck
Marcus Mariota
Robert Griffin III
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
EJ Manuel
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

*in no particular order

Right there.

As prospects I think it has to go with
Andrew Luck
RG3
Marcus Mariota
Teddy Bridgewater

RG 3 had a lot of hype coming out and he was expected to the second coming of Jesus.
Originally posted by shmuck:
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:

Andrew Luck
Marcus Mariota
Robert Griffin III
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
EJ Manuel
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

*in no particular order

Right there.

As prospects I think it has to go with
Andrew Luck
RG3
Marcus Mariota
Teddy Bridgewater

RG 3 had a lot of hype coming out and he was expected to the second coming of Jesus.

at best, if all goes PERFECT, mariota is alex smith, if he has at least one year to sit (prob needstwo) to rebuild his mechancs, footwork, see if he can run an nfl offense, 5-7 step drops...

quite frankly i see him as jake locker without injuries. solid QB. not a top 15 picks.

i liked luck,rg3 amd bridgewater tannehil.

i also think he's inferior to garopolo too.
not impressed. i'd take him after 20 and let him sit at least a year
3rd round at best. He will do nothing outside of this system without a couple years of retraining.
Originally posted by teylo31:
3rd round at best. He will do nothing outside of this system without a couple years of retraining.

Butt hurt FSU fan I presume?
[ Edited by LZRD_WZRD on Jan 12, 2015 at 9:10 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone