There are 177 users in the forums

Seattle's 2014 draft

Anyone have some insight on how Seattle did? I hope the Richardson pick won't come and haunt us. It looks like they got three extra picks for trading down their #32 after the Patriots took their man Easley.

Overall, do any of you college guru's know much about their picks?
No, but reading their boards, they don't seem very enthused about their weekend.
Kiper gave them a D- for their draft.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tondiman:
Anyone have some insight on how Seattle did? I hope the Richardson pick won't come and haunt us. It looks like they got three extra picks for trading down their #32 after the Patriots took their man Easley.

They got their AJ Jenkins. I have no idea what they were thinking with Harvin as their speedster they A didnt need to draft a small/quick receiver and B shouldn't have gone with Paul Richardson. I'm glad they did. LOL They needed a bigger WR like Mathews/Robinson/Latimer/Moncrief/Adams/Benjamin etc. I guess they're going for speed. Thinking their strategy on defense will work on offense. They'd have also benefited from a big TE such as Seferian-Jenkins. I think they're planning on Lynch hitting a stacked box and are looking to get speed down field one one one. Good luck with that. If they are smart they'll pick up Brandon Coleman as a consolation prize.

Britt is a great run blocker, not happy about that seeing lynch is already beast. At 6-6 Wilson will have a wall in front of him LOL. Have fun seeing your receivers downfield buddy! Seahawks kinda muffed. The Richardon pick made ZERO sense. They should have got size at WR or TE. They could have made moves to get Martavis Bryant in the 4th and muffed that as well. They muffed big time and have a lot of players to PAY. After next season they're screwed...
[ Edited by Phil on May 12, 2014 at 8:53 AM ]
I'm not sure. Most evaluations of their draft are pretty lukewarm.

Honestly though, Seattle seems to draft somewhat unconventially. If you go back and look at the immediate grades given out after some of their drafts a couple years ago, they were heavily panned by critics. Those drafts went on to produce guys like Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, Richard Sherman, etc...
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phil:
Originally posted by tondiman:

They got their AJ Jenkins. I have no idea what they were thinking with Harvin as their speedster they A didnt need to draft a small/quick receiver and B shouldn't have gone with Paul Richardson. I'm glad they did. LOL They needed a bigger WR like Mathews/Robinson/Latimer/Moncrief/Adams/Benjamin etc. I guess they're going for speed. Thinking their strategy on defense will work on offense. They'd have also benefited from a big TE such as Seferian-Jenkins. I think they're planning on Lynch hitting a stacked box and are looking to get speed down field one one one. Good luck with that. If they are smart they'll pick up Brandon Coleman as a consolation prize.

Britt is a great run blocker, not happy about that seeing lynch is already beast. At 6-6 Wilson will have a wall in front of him LOL. Have fun seeing your receivers downfield buddy! Seahawks kinda muffed. The Richardon pick made ZERO sense. They should have got size at WR or TE. They could have made moves to get Martavis Bryant in the 4th and muffed that as well. They muffed big time and have a lot of players to PAY. After next season they're screwed...

Originally posted by theduke85:

Honestly though, Seattle seems to draft somewhat unconventially. If you go back and look at the immediate grades given out after some of their drafts a couple years ago, they were heavily panned by critics. Those drafts went on to produce guys like Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner, Richard Sherman, etc...

They straight out muffed with their first pick (Paul Richardson) 180 is his biggest weight (was 160 in college), he doesn't have good hands and didn't produce much outside of big plays on simple routes... also had a couple serious injuries (will probably get hurt again because of his size). He's a deep threat with bad hands and mediocre route skills.If the Niners drafted him in the second round I'd have been extremely unhappy. We got a better WR in Ellington late in the draft.
I wouldn't be too quick to judge Seattles draft. We know they draft well, especially since one of their masterminds helped the 49ers build the current team.

I will say though that they did seem to reach (on paper) with some of their picks. The OL in the 2nd rd had a 5th rd grade on him.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN: C-

Evan Silva, Rotoworld: C-

Matthew Fairburn, SB Nation: C+

Doug Farrar, Sports Illustrated: B-

Pete Prisco, CBS: B+

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2060424-seattle-seahawks-2014-draft-aggregating-report-card-grades-from-around-the-web
[ Edited by Jcool on May 12, 2014 at 9:21 AM ]
Originally posted by theduke85:

- Like most football fans in general, the only thing I know is what I hear in the media. Media likes to hype big names that you probably won't pick up as the #32 pick. Like you said the Seahawks draft unconventionally. Therefore they've been criticized in the past. The only difference is now given their success with those picks, people now remain on the back burner with too much criticism. You don't see the immediate reason why they picked them, and by all means it seems like a silly pick. Yet, they've already proven success by doing such things. So you don't want to speak too much against it, only to possibly look like a fool in a few months.

- I trust the Seahawks FO. Until the Aaron Curry thing happens again. I have no reason to doubt their draft picks. Although I will say a lot of will be riding on Irvin this season being the only round 1 draft pick in the last 3 picks. He was okay/good his first season, his second season was more okay but he was learning a new role. So this season is going to mean a lot in the eyes of the Hawk fans.

Originally posted by Phil:
They straight out muffed with their first pick (Paul Richardson) 180 is his biggest weight (was 160 in college), he doesn't have good hands and didn't produce much outside of big plays on simple routes... also had a couple serious injuries (will probably get hurt again because of his size). He's a deep threat with bad hands and mediocre route skills.If the Niners drafted him in the second round I'd have been extremely unhappy. We got a better WR in Ellington late in the draft.

Jermaine Kearse was undrafted for some similar reasons and he was a key player for the Hawks this season. Is Richardson going to be the next Megatron, probably not. But I think he'll contribute.
I think with Norwood they drafted a better receiver in the 4th round than the guy they drafted in the 2nd. Norwood fits their system so well its kind of scary, even before the draft you had articles on ESPN and SI talking about what a good fit he would be. Norwood isn't as fast as Richardson, but bigger and better all-around receiver. Tremendous hands and a very savvy, dangerous guy when things fall apart or when a QB starts to improvise. He won't put up big numbers, but he's the guy who will bury you on 3rd down by making a ridiculous catch along the sidelines. Clutch receiver who plays without an ego. If Baldwin doesn't get a long term deal then they just drafted his replacement.

"Nice awareness to locate and pluck, working back to the ball and aggressively attacking it. Never quits on his quarterback. Smart with an alert sideline sense. Knows where the sticks are. Good football character and known as a reliable option on and off the field. Positive attitude and carries himself like a professional. Already has his master's degree."

Understands option routes and is consistently on same page with QB. Has very good football IQ. Would excel in complex passing game, such as Patriots. Does a great job working back to QB after initial play breaks down.

Not afraid to work over middle. Makes tough catches in traffic. Not a strong runner after catch but doesn't shy from contact. Dependable possession receiver that does all the little things and pays attention to detail.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 12, 2014 at 9:29 AM ]

I think with Seattle they seemed to have made some big reaches but you just don't know. I think this draft shows that they might be get a little too full of themselves and too caught up with being non-conventional, but I still see guys that could end up being extremely successful. I'm not really a fan at all of Britt, Marsh and Scott but Norwood and Pierre-Louis are absolutely, custom-tailored perfect fits for them.

Staten is a smaller school DT who can be a force against the run and will help replace some of the depth that they've lost. Pinkins is just yet another massive defensive back project, a guy they can take their time with to develop, limited in some ways but he could play as either a Browner-style press corner or up near the line in a similar role as Kam Chancellor, eitherway at 6'2", 230, he's a handful and then some to deal with but might not see the field for quite awhile other than special teams.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 12, 2014 at 9:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN: C-

Evan Silva, Rotoworld: C-

Matthew Fairburn, SB Nation: C+

Doug Farrar, Sports Illustrated: B-

Pete Prisco, CBS: B+

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2060424-seattle-seahawks-2014-draft-aggregating-report-card-grades-from-around-the-web

So, they're moving up
https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/statuses/431212220156870656
I actually really like Richardson...just hope he won't be able to take the beating in the NFL. I don't want him to get injured...just beat around so much that he's out of it mentally.

His skills as a receiver scare me though. Hopefully mentally he'll be like AJ.
Originally posted by genus49:
I actually really like Richardson...just hope he won't be able to take the beating in the NFL. I don't want him to get injured...just beat around so much that he's out of it mentally.

His skills as a receiver scare me though. Hopefully mentally he'll be like AJ.

He's got the hands of a younger Ted Ginn.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Wilson is great at extending plays with his feet. Richardson could be a home run threat on any one of those plays based on his speed alone. I think that was part of the thought process that went into that pick.
Share 49ersWebzone