There are 273 users in the forums

2015 Picks?

SUPERB! You nailed it.

Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by theduke85:
Nope, you're confused. Lemme explain what happened.

Early in the day, we traded for Steve Johnson. We gave up a 4th round pick in 2015. At that point, we were missing our 2015 4th round pick.

During the second round, we made two trades:

1. First, we traded down with Denver. We dropped down seven spots in the 2nd (we exchanged 2nd's, we did not outright lose it):
Sent:
- 2014 2nd round pick (#56 overall)
- 2014 7th round pick (#242 overall)

Received:
- 2014 2nd round pick (#63 overall)
- 2014 5th round pick (#171 overall)
- 2015 4th round pick

2. Shortly after, we traded up with Miami:
Sent:
- 2014 2nd round pick (#63 overall, from DEN)
- 2014 5th round pick (#171 overall, from DEN)

Received
- 2014 2nd round pick (#57 overall)

Here's what the culmination of all of the three trades looked like (MIA, DEN, BUF):

Sent:
- 2014 7th round pick (#171 overall)
- 2015 4th round pick (this went to Buffalo in the Steve Johnson trade)

Received:
- 2014 2nd round pick (#57 overall, from MIA)
- 2015 4th round pick (from DEN)
- Steve Johnson

So when all is said and done ... we basically got Steve Johnson for a 7th round pick (#171) and for moving back one spot (from #56 to #57) in the second round. I have no idea how Baalke pulled this off. It was a magical sequence of events.

The two important things to take away are that:
1. We did not lose a 2nd round pick at all.
2. We regained a 2015 4th round pick (Denver's), after having originally trading ours away to BUF early in the day.

Excellent breakdown...in addition, Baalke could still trade some of the picks this year for higher picks next year, allowing us to continue our pillaging.
We started off with 2 second round picks and we only ended up with 1. So how can you say we didn't lose a 2nd round pick?
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Getting a little concerned with the lack of CB, DL/OLB picks with the players that were still available when we took Borland and Thomas were picked.

Well we do have Skuta and Lemonier who did fine last year. We do have 8 dl already and our depth isn't bad at all and we have Smith and McDonald for 2 more years so we dont necessarily need their replacements right now. We possibly already have 1, could take the next one next year or the year after. As for CB you have to remember we have Brock back, Culliver back (- few games suspended maybe), Ward/Wright for slot, Cox, Cook, Morris. Right there is a pretty solid 7 cbs already and 1 could get cut. Cook is a lot better than he played needs to be used right he was very good in college. Morris has high potential. Wright and Cox both can play the slot. Brock was really good, Culliver depending on if he returns 100% was a very good cb in 2011 and 2012.

NO.

We have wright, brock, and cox. We can't rely on cook, morris, or culliver. Though I LOVE this draft, our CB position is looking horrid. Not only do we have ZERO depth, we have an average (if that) starting core. I just hope our DL is so fierce that the CB's won't have to hold up for long.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Getting a little concerned with the lack of CB, DL/OLB picks with the players that were still available when we took Borland and Thomas were picked.

Well we do have Skuta and Lemonier who did fine last year. We do have 8 dl already and our depth isn't bad at all and we have Smith and McDonald for 2 more years so we dont necessarily need their replacements right now. We possibly already have 1, could take the next one next year or the year after. As for CB you have to remember we have Brock back, Culliver back (- few games suspended maybe), Ward/Wright for slot, Cox, Cook, Morris. Right there is a pretty solid 7 cbs already and 1 could get cut. Cook is a lot better than he played needs to be used right he was very good in college. Morris has high potential. Wright and Cox both can play the slot. Brock was really good, Culliver depending on if he returns 100% was a very good cb in 2011 and 2012.

NO.

We have wright, brock, and cox. We can't rely on cook, morris, or culliver. Though I LOVE this draft, our CB position is looking horrid. Not only do we have ZERO depth, we have an average (if that) starting core. I just hope our DL is so fierce that the CB's won't have to hold up for long.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
We started off with 2 second round picks and we only ended up with 1. So how can you say we didn't lose a 2nd round pick?
I see. I was confused by what OP was referring to. You're right -- we did lose a 2nd. We gave up a late 2nd for a high 3rd, and netted a high 5th in the process. I guess ultimately it looked like this then:

Sent:
- 2014 2nd round pick (#61 overall)

Received:
- 2014 3rd round pick (#70, from JAX)
- 2014 5th round pick (#150, from JAX)
- Steve Johnson

Or separately (which, IMO, makes more sense, I think this sequence of trades was to recoup our 4th from the Johnson deal)...
Trade #1
Sent:

Received:
- Steve Johnson

Trade #2
Sent:
- 2014 2nd round pick (#61 overall)

Received:
- 2014 3rd round pick (#70, from JAX)
- 2014 5th round pick (#150, from JAX)

There may be a couple other small trades I am missing.
[ Edited by theduke85 on May 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM ]
Duke, we also sent a 3rd round pick to someone because we had 3 to start, and ended up with 3, but we also sent a 3rd to someone but i don't see the incoming 3rd for the wash in your analysis.

I think in a nutshell we sent a 2nd round pick for a 4th, 5th, and 6th.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
I think in a nutshell we sent a 2nd round pick for a 4th, 5th, and 6th.
I guess technically. But if you look at it like that, it looks like we got fleeced. The reason is that the 2nd round pick netted us a high 3rd. The 3rd round pick we eventually traded away was a late 3rd (i.e. not the one we acquired in the JAX trade). We traded a late 2nd (#61) for an early 3rd (#70) in the JAX trade. We also got a 5th round pick -- pick #150.

The 3rd we gave up in the Cleveland deal was a late 3rd (#94), and in exchange we got an early 4th (#106). We picked up an extra 6th round pick (#180) as compensation.

Send:
- 2014 2nd round pick (#61)
- 2014 3rd round pick (#94)

Receive:
- 2014 3rd round pick (#70)
- 2014 4th round pick (#106)
- 2014 5th round pick (#150)
- 2014 6th round pick (#180)

Anyway, trying to keep all of these straight is making my head spin.
[ Edited by theduke85 on May 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM ]
Looking forward to final summary.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Looking forward to final summary.

me too
Share 49ersWebzone