I'd like to take flyers on the bolded.

I'm sure you want this guy right? Mister Cobble
[ Edited by jimrat on May 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM ]
We drafted 12 guys LOL
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
This draft really was ridiculously deep. Look at the names going in the 7th round. Crazy.

Look at the names going into UDFA, equally nuts.

Not sure if the draft was that deep... some guys dropped.. but a lot these guys in the late rounds won't be on teams much more than passed drafts... a lot of the talent was there in the first 3 rounds when teams were jumping to trade up.. after that there were a number that fell... few undrafted...

I think this draft was top heavy frankly and since the 49ers didn't jump up may have missed the potential stars in the position of needs... they did get a few potential stars.. very good nickel CB in Ward who will get PT along with Marcus Martin at C..is Goodwin staying?... they have good backups in Hyde/Borland who could start or star in other teams.. other than that the rest might have a chance at being backups or role players... and a number of them cut..
Originally posted by Jd925:
Not sure if the draft was that deep... some guys dropped.. but a lot these guys in the late rounds won't be on teams much more than passed drafts... a lot of the talent was there in the first 3 rounds when teams were jumping to trade up.. after that there were a number that fell... few undrafted...

I think this draft was top heavy frankly and since the 49ers didn't jump up may have missed the potential stars in the position of needs... they did get a few potential stars.. very good nickel CB in Ward who will get PT along with Marcus Martin at C..is Goodwin staying?... they have good backups in Hyde/Borland who could start or star in other teams.. other than that the rest might have a chance at being backups or role players... and a number of them cut..

I disagree, this draft was loaded in the middle rounds. The top was pretty flat, after the first 12 picks or so, it just fell off. I think you'll see a ton of quality players emerge from the middle and even late rounds. This was a draft that was rather pointless to trade up in because of the immense talent throughout.
Jeremy Butler-WR
DeAndre Coleman-DE
Chris Davis-CB
Matt Patchan-OT
Jackson Jeffcoat-DE
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
My UDFA List

Jeremy Butler-WR
Mike Davis-WR
Philly Brown-WR
DeAndre Coleman-DE
Mister Cobble-NT
Marcus Roberson-CB
Chris Davis-CB
Brett Smith-QB
Jeff Matthews-QB
J.C. Copeland-FB
Matt Patchan-OT
Austin Wentworth-OT
Robert Thomas-DT
Jackson Jeffcoat-DE

That's an awesome fricken name for a NT... maybe he'll be nicknamed Mr Gobble and swallow up the whole middle
Originally posted by LVJay:
That's an awesome fricken name for a NT... maybe he'll be nicknamed Mr Gobble and swallow up the whole middle

I've been a big fan of Mister Cobble for a few years now, proverbial bowling ball with legs. 6'0" and like 340. Gets leverage like crazy, high motor and quick feet for such a big guy.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Did Fales get drafted?

Yup. Bears, 6th round.

Indeed, he'll man the QB spot the second (and it won't take long) Cutler gets another hangnail
My UDFA List

Jeremy Butler-WR
Mike Davis-WR
Philly Brown-WR
DeAndre Coleman-DE
Mister Cobble-NT
Marcus Roberson-CB
Chris Davis-CB
Brett Smith-QB
Jeff Matthews-QB
J.C. Copeland-FB
Matt Patchan-OT
Austin Wentworth-OT
Robert Thomas-DT
Jackson Jeffcoat-DE

Oh man there's a good Michael Sam joke in there but I'm gonna fall back.

• LVJay
  • Veteran

I've been a big fan of Mister Cobble for a few years now, proverbial bowling ball with legs. 6'0" and like 340. Gets leverage like crazy, high motor and quick feet for such a big guy.

he's low to the ground... ain't no little RBs sneaking by the middle, he'll crack em and gobble em up

Well, he would have a hard time stopping Gore since Gore practically speed-crawls/glides/levitates off the ground
49ers just signed QB Kory Faulkner, Southern Illinois,

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/05/undrafted-free-agents-49ers-land-southern-illinois-qb.html
I'm not sure Balke wanted to take so many players. But if he didnt, I hope this draft actually leads to us using a significant portion of the players, by replacing veteran players that are backups with the young folks in the interest of saving money and planning for the future. Furthermore, I hope he learns to get rid of picks earlier and to more focus on picks earlier when other teams would like to trade with you, rather than in the later rounds.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
My UDFA List

Jeremy Butler-WR
Mike Davis-WR
Philly Brown-WR
DeAndre Coleman-DE
Mister Cobble-NT
Marcus Roberson-CB
Chris Davis-CB
Brett Smith-QB
Jeff Matthews-QB
J.C. Copeland-FB
Matt Patchan-OT
Austin Wentworth-OT
Robert Thomas-DT
Jackson Jeffcoat-DE

Oh man there's a good Michael Sam joke in there but I'm gonna fall back.

I still chuckled
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by deepniner:
I'm not sure Balke wanted to take so many players. But if he didnt, I hope this draft actually leads to us using a significant portion of the players, by replacing veteran players that are backups with the young folks in the interest of saving money and planning for the future. Furthermore, I hope he learns to get rid of picks earlier and to more focus on picks earlier when other teams would like to trade with you, rather than in the later rounds.

Also, we'll probably have a more talented PS with guys ready to fill in...
Share 49ersWebzone