LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 226 users in the forums

Almost draft time - here is a 2 round mock plus extra NINER picks

Here is my attempt at a mock draft. I have the trades indicated and I think they are all reasonable. I did not define the trades because, let's be honest, it is impossible to determine when a team will follow the point system or not. With the rookie wage scale in place teams are less reluctant to trade and don't follow the old point system as much. Teams can throw in 2015 picks and lower picks to make something happen. I'm using this as mostly to show teams interested in moving up and what picks they will target. I believe the 49ers would trade up but I would prefer if they stayed put or moved back if the draft fell this way. Trading up for the player he wants seems to be Balke's MO.

Again, don't hold back...

Here was my personal board I posted earlier: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/178314-gored49-top-104-big-board-notes/.

1 hou DE Jadeveon Clowney
2 stl OT Jake Mathews
3 trade atl OLB Khalil Mack
4 trade tb WR Sammy Watkins
5 oak OT Greg Robinson
6 trade jax WR Mike Evans
7 trade cle QB Johnny Manziel
8 min QB Blake Bortles
9 buf S Haha Clinton-Dix
10 det CB Justin Gilbert
11 trade chi DT Aaron Donald
12 nyg OT Taylor Lewan
13 stl CB Kyle Fuller
14 trade ten OLB Anthony Barr
15 pit WR Odell Beckham
16 dal S Jimmie Ward
17 trade sf WR Brandin Cooks
18 nyj TE Eric Ebron
19 mia OT/OG Zach Martin
20 ari S Calvin Pryor
21 gb OLB Ryan Shazier
22 trade sd CB Darqueze Dennard
23 kc WR Marqise Lee
24 cin CB Bradley Roby
25 trade phi WR Cody Latimer
26 cle LB C.J. Mosley
27 no DE Dee Ford
28 car WR Allen Robinson
29 trade jax QB Teddy Bridgewater
30 trade bal DE Kony Ealy
31 den CB Stanley Jean-Babtiste
32 sea TE Jace Amaro
33 trade tb QB Derek Carr
34 was DT Timmy Jernigan
35 cle WR Davante Adams
36 oak DE Demarcus Lawrence
37 trade ne TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
38 trade hou QB Tom Savage
39 trade atl OT Morgan Moses
40 min DT Ra'Shede Hageman
41 buf WR Jordan Matthews
42 ten RB Carlos Hyde
43 nyg OG Xavier Su'a-Filo
44 stl CB Jason Verrett
45 det OT Antonio Richardson
46 pit OT Cyrus Kouandijio
47 dal DT Louis Nix
48 bal DT Dominique Easley
49 nyj WR Kelvin Benjamin
50 mia G Gabe Jackson
51 trade ten DE Kareem Martin
52 ari TE Troy Niklas
53 gb OT/OG/C Joel Bitonio
54 phi S Deone Bucannon
55 cin S Lamarcus Joyner
56 trade bal DE Stephon Tuitt
57 sd DT Daquan Jones
58 no OLB Jeremiah Attaochu
59 ind CB Philip Gaines
60 car OT Jawaun James
61 sf 61 sf DE/OLB Marcus Smith
62 ne DE/OLB Scott Crichton
63 den WR Martavis Bryant
64 sea CB Pierre Desir
77 sf CB Marcus Roberson
94 sf DE/DT Will Clarke
100 sf NT Justin Ellis
129 sf ILB Preston Brown
170 sf WR Devin Street

[ Edited by gored49 on May 6, 2014 at 2:20 PM ]
I give you points for originality. It sure was a lot more fun to read than all these cookie cutter mocks out there.
According to this we gave a 1st and 2nd for Cooks. I would rather trade back to #40 , pick up an early 3rd rd pick, draft Donte Moncreif or Jordan Mathews and use the #56 pick we didn't trade away to draft Stephen Tuitt which you have exactly at #56 going to bal.

Basically we could have Cooks or Mathews, Tuitt and an early 3rd rounder. I would take the latter.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
According to this we gave a 1st and 2nd for Cooks. I would rather trade back to #40 , pick up an early 3rd rd pick, draft Donte Moncreif or Jordan Mathews and use the #56 pick we didn't trade away to draft Stephen Tuitt which you have exactly at #56 going to bal.

Basically we could have Cooks or Mathews, Tuitt and an early 3rd rounder. I would take the latter.

I can't argue w/this.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:

I personally agree and think we should stay put and possibly try to use some of our lower picks to move up in 2nd or 3rd round. Baalke has shown time and time again he dictates the draft and moves up to get who he wants.

I do not agree though with your picks. I doubt Mathews will help alter defenses like a Cooks and I think that is what Baalke will look for. I do not want Tuitt anywhere near our team. Even TJE would beat him out on the depth chart.
The problem I see taking Cooks, Beckham or any of the smaller speed guys #1 is they'll likely be slot receivers in Harbaugh's offense. Nothing wrong w/slot receivers, but Harbaugh loves his two big WR's. With likely Crabtree gone in 2015, that creates a big hole. So think it'd be better to grab a top CB first, then choose from among Matthews, Adams, Latimer. TB can get a speed guy later...maybe Ellington. If Baalke does go smaller WR early, then who replaces Crabtree?
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The problem I see taking Cooks, Beckham or any of the smaller speed guys #1 is they'll likely be slot receivers in Harbaugh's offense. Nothing wrong w/slot receivers, but Harbaugh loves his two big WR's. With likely Crabtree gone in 2015, that creates a big hole. So think it'd be better to grab a top CB first, then choose from among Matthews, Adams, Latimer. TB can get a speed guy later...maybe Ellington. If Baalke does go smaller WR early, then who replaces Crabtree?

I see and understand your logic. I don't think it is a foregone conclusion Crabs will be gone. They will weigh free agent market and 2015 draft market to determine if he is worth a few more millions than they are willing to spend. Regardless, I see your point. I'm really high on Latimer and can see him being a target in the first. He has natural hands and jump ball experience. I like Adams in the 2nd and even compare him strongly in my rankings to Crabtree.

I question the decision to move up for a cb in the first. I don't see the potential for any of them to displace Brock as a #1 and even Gilbert wouldn't be guaranteed #2. Maybe Fuller because he is better in the slot. I think 2nd and 3rd is where to get a db for the value like a Baptiste, Desir or Roberson. They need more development but what is expected out of a 2nd or 3rd.
Don't like this mock. DL is the 2nd deepest position on the team and no more than a single developmental prospect should be drafted imo.

I would not move up for Cooks nor would I take any WR in the 1st unless that wr is Watkins.
[ Edited by WINiner on May 6, 2014 at 1:17 PM ]
Originally posted by gored49:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

I see and understand your logic. I don't think it is a foregone conclusion Crabs will be gone. They will weigh free agent market and 2015 draft market to determine if he is worth a few more millions than they are willing to spend. Regardless, I see your point. I'm really high on Latimer and can see him being a target in the first. He has natural hands and jump ball experience. I like Adams in the 2nd and even compare him strongly in my rankings to Crabtree.

I question the decision to move up for a cb in the first. I don't see the potential for any of them to displace Brock as a #1 and even Gilbert wouldn't be guaranteed #2. Maybe Fuller because he is better in the slot. I think 2nd and 3rd is where to get a db for the value like a Baptiste, Desir or Roberson. They need more development but what is expected out of a 2nd or 3rd.

None of those 3cb will be there in the 3rd.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Don't like this mock. DL is the 2nd deepest position on the team and no more than a single developmental prospect should be drafted imo.

I would not move up for Cooks nor would I take any WR in the 1st unless that wr is Watkins.

I'm totally cool with you not liking my mock. I disagree with your premise. A late 3rd or 4 on DL does not seem out of the question when you are thinking about next year and going forward. Odds are j smith won't play, Ray Mac is getting older and injury probe, Dorsey and Dobbs out of contract and Dial and Tank are unknowns. Who or what positions would you take in that range?

Originally posted by gored49:

I'm totally cool with you not liking my mock. I disagree with your premise. A late 3rd or 4 on DL does not seem out of the question when you are thinking about next year and going forward. Odds are j smith won't play, Ray Mac is getting older and injury probe, Dorsey and Dobbs out of contract, and Dial and Tank are unknowns. Who or what positions would you take in that range?

I think you mean:
- Aldon Smith
- injury "prone"
None of those 3cb will be there in the 3rd.

I said worth it to wait for either of those cbs in round 2 or 3. I think Roberson may make it to the 3rd. It seems like teams are divided on his potential. I am a big fan of his aggressiveness and ability to box receivers out of the play legally.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I think you mean:
- Aldon Smith
- injury "prone"

I did mean injury prone. Darn cell phone autocorrect strikes again. Thanks for the correction.

I also did mean Justin Smith. I think with his age and his pricey contract it is no guarantee he will be back next year - either by his choice or the teams (less likely the teams though). I also question if even Gore would be back with his contract but I know that would probably start a fire here. I love both Gore and the Cowboy on this team but that is over $10 million next year and that could mean the difference in resigning Crabtree (or someone else) next season.
I feel this draft has Sammy Watkins, and then a whole bunch of "good" WR's after that. I don't see a need to trade up into the middle of round one. Just wait at 30. There are plenty of good WR's in this draft.

If we are going to make a splash, it better be for Watkins. Go big, or go home.
I would not be happy with this haul. Secondary was, is, and will continue to be our Achilles heel if we don't address it in the draft this year. Trading up for Gilbert, Dennard , Fuller or Verrett makes more sense than cooks. How many three WR formations do we use anyway? What do we do w Patton? In a deep WR draft, I would go secondary first aNd WR second.
Share 49ersWebzone