While I think the bashing of Teddy B is unwarranted, there's no way he goes #1. Just cause he best Florida in a Bowl Game doesn't warrant him being the top pick.
On a side note, I don't trust any of the top QBs (Bortles, Manziel, Carr, or Bridgewater) to be franchise QBs. All have huge negatives to warrant a 1st round grade. I'd hate to have to gamble with one of them in the 1st. Smartest move, for a QB needy team, would be to wait til the 2nd or 3rd to find a QB.
There are 367 users in the forums
Gored49 Top 104 Big Board with notes
May 5, 2014 at 7:44 PM
- Travisty13
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,269
May 5, 2014 at 8:13 PM
- eastcoast49ersfan
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,112
Not sure what reminds you of Haden with Dennard other than the slow timed speed. Haden has elite quickness and hips and great length while Dennard is more physical but lacks length and change of direction skills.
I don't think your rankings of Cooks and Ellington are consistent - they are basically the same size and very similar athletes. Cooks is more polished, but if you're giving him the benefit of the doubt with his size and ranking him 19th, Ellington should be higher than 88th in my opinion. He was the team's leading receiver in the SEC - 775 yards isn't amazing, but South Carolina didn't throw the ball as much as some of the teams the top receivers played for.
Bridgewater is about 25 positions too high imo and I wouldn't rank any of the QB's in the top 12 in a big board even if 1-2 may be taken by QB needy teams.
I don't think your rankings of Cooks and Ellington are consistent - they are basically the same size and very similar athletes. Cooks is more polished, but if you're giving him the benefit of the doubt with his size and ranking him 19th, Ellington should be higher than 88th in my opinion. He was the team's leading receiver in the SEC - 775 yards isn't amazing, but South Carolina didn't throw the ball as much as some of the teams the top receivers played for.
Bridgewater is about 25 positions too high imo and I wouldn't rank any of the QB's in the top 12 in a big board even if 1-2 may be taken by QB needy teams.
May 5, 2014 at 8:40 PM
- gored49
- Veteran
- Posts: 957
Travisty - Teddy B is not my top qb because of that. From all the reports and his crappy pro day I do not expect him to go number 1 either. These are just my rankings and I will post my mock as soon as I finish cleaning up the formatting. I can't figure out how to transfer the Excel document into a readable format automatically. I think Teddy B because he is the top qb and I can see him being the face of a franchise. He is a quiet leader but a determined winner. His strengths are his pocket awareness, his accuracy in a game (I don't know what was wrong about his pro day... nerves maybe) and he can read defenses and make the appropriate adjustments like no other qb this year.
Eastcoast49ersfan - I agree Haden and Dennard are not clones. I know Dennard's cone drill is giving a lot people pause but watching him he is quick and acts quickly while the ball is in the air. I haven't seen much tape of him looking like he will be easily beaten or lacking serious quickness. If you can name games or links I would like to see and I will adjust appropriately.
I like Cooks more than Ellington because he seems like a more all around receiver. His size says slot receiver but he works back but his skills and ability says he has the potential to be like Smith and become a #1 receiver. I don't think Ellington will ever be a #1. He is more of a slot and package receiver but I could be wrong. I take it you are a fan of Ellington and not Cooks?
Eastcoast49ersfan - I agree Haden and Dennard are not clones. I know Dennard's cone drill is giving a lot people pause but watching him he is quick and acts quickly while the ball is in the air. I haven't seen much tape of him looking like he will be easily beaten or lacking serious quickness. If you can name games or links I would like to see and I will adjust appropriately.
I like Cooks more than Ellington because he seems like a more all around receiver. His size says slot receiver but he works back but his skills and ability says he has the potential to be like Smith and become a #1 receiver. I don't think Ellington will ever be a #1. He is more of a slot and package receiver but I could be wrong. I take it you are a fan of Ellington and not Cooks?
May 5, 2014 at 9:59 PM
- gored49
- Veteran
- Posts: 957
Travisty - how do you rank the 2nd or 3rd round QBs?
May 6, 2014 at 4:54 AM
- eastcoast49ersfan
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,112
Originally posted by gored49:Eastcoast49ersfan - I agree Haden and Dennard are not clones. I know Dennard's cone drill is giving a lot people pause but watching him he is quick and acts quickly while the ball is in the air. I haven't seen much tape of him looking like he will be easily beaten or lacking serious quickness. If you can name games or links I would like to see and I will adjust appropriately.
I'm more concerned with the position drills for Dennard than the 3 cone and he doesn't look nearly as quick as Haden on tape either. He had success in college being very physical with receivers, but he didn't play many future #1 and #2 NFL receivers this season. He seems like a reasonably smart and polished player but I'm not sure that will translate into being able to cover better receivers in the pros. I'm also not as big of a fan of the burn rate and completion rate statistics for corners because they are don't predict that well to NFL production and they are highly based on scheme, opponents, pass rush, etc. Michigan St. had a very strong defense which Dennard was a part of, but he definitely benefited from it statistically.
I wasn't a fan of Ellington until I started researching him and noticed he was a similar player to Cooks (less polished for sure though) who will he available much later. I see him as a good value where he's projected (early 3rd) compared to Cooks.
May 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM
- gored49
- Veteran
- Posts: 957
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:I'm more concerned with the position drills for Dennard than the 3 cone and he doesn't look nearly as quick as Haden on tape either. He had success in college being very physical with receivers, but he didn't play many future #1 and #2 NFL receivers this season. He seems like a reasonably smart and polished player but I'm not sure that will translate into being able to cover better receivers in the pros. I'm also not as big of a fan of the burn rate and completion rate statistics for corners because they are don't predict that well to NFL production and they are highly based on scheme, opponents, pass rush, etc. Michigan St. had a very strong defense which Dennard was a part of, but he definitely benefited from it statistically.
I wasn't a fan of Ellington until I started researching him and noticed he was a similar player to Cooks (less polished for sure though) who will he available much later. I see him as a good value where he's projected (early 3rd) compared to Cooks.
I'll have to see how Dennard does his rookie year. I feel like he will be a quality number 2 on the outside. If he fails I will take your suggestion and factor those other elements more in my decision. Who is your top cb and why out of curiosity.
May 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM
- gored49
- Veteran
- Posts: 957
Anyone have thoughts on Brent Urban? I'm intrigued with moving him up my draft board due to measurables and potential - his lack of prolonged success and ankle injury are big concerns but seems like a worthwhile risk as a 3-4 de.
May 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM
- eastcoast49ersfan
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,112
Originally posted by gored49:I'll have to see how Dennard does his rookie year. I feel like he will be a quality number 2 on the outside. If he fails I will take your suggestion and factor those other elements more in my decision. Who is your top cb and why out of curiosity.
Gilbert and has been since before the combine mainly for his physical gifts and potential but he's a pretty good man to man corner already and looks the part of a press corner. He's not Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman, but he has the tools to develop into a solid #1 CB. He also looked much more fluid than Dennard in the position drills. Fuller has been growing on me - Fuller, Dennard, Verrett, and Roby have been close in my eyes for awhile but Fuller may have moved in front. He is a little over-aggressive at times, but he sticks on receivers and has good length.
Dennard just has so many factors that make me question the burn rate and catch rate. He played on a defense that could rush the passer and stop the run. Getting pressure means he had to cover receivers for shorter periods which is obviously beneficial, especially in press coverage which you can see in Seattle. Stopping the run means opposing offenses are more predictable and get in more 3rd and long situations - this should help Dennard's catch rates against deep passes and his deflections because in more situations teams are forced to throw the ball down the field against their defense. Being able to stop the run also allowed Michigan State to play with safeties back which gives Dennard more freedom to play aggressively. The most concerning thing is that a Dennard was targeted a lot compared to some of the other top corners and safeties. This suggests to me that teams weren't afraid of him and that a lot of the time, his teammates were in as good of position or better when opposing QB's had to get rid of the ball. Those additional targets where his teammates were blanketing receivers should inflate his burn rate and catch rate stats as well. With a worse supporting cast, Dennard would not have had the ball thrown his way as much when he is in position to make a play.
I don't think Dennard will completely be a bust - he could be a quality #2 CB on the outside, but I could see Fuller and Roby being better outside corners (Roby may be able to play both) and I think Verrett can be a really good slot corner.
May 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM
- SofaKing
- Veteran
- Posts: 27,442
Interesting Big Board. I won't go as far as saying Bridgewater is the best player in the draft, but I do believe he is the best QB. Bortles has the size, Manziel has the flash, but Bridgewater is far more advanced as a passer IMO.
May 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM
- gored49
- Veteran
- Posts: 957
I don't think Dennard will completely be a bust - he could be a quality #2 CB on the outside, but I could see Fuller and Roby being better outside corners (Roby may be able to play both) and I think Verrett can be a really good slot corner.
I would agree with you on this. If the Niners stayed at pick 30 and Roby, Fuller and Dennard were available I would take Roby or Fuller for the potential to develop into a better pro. I think Dennard is better right now but with a little coaching in training campy Roby and Fuller could surpass him. Plus, if Dennard falls that far it would seem the entire league would have a poor opinion of his ceiling.
May 6, 2014 at 9:19 PM
- Travisty13
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,269
Originally posted by gored49:Travisty - how do you rank the 2nd or 3rd round QBs?
Not much separates them from the 1st round QBs in my opinion. To be honest, I don't see a "wow" QB in this draft. Garoppolo would be tops in the "2nd tier" of QBs, to me, but he even has his question marks.
Garoppolo, Murray, Brett Smith, and Mettenberger are guys I like past the 1st round.
It shows how questionable this year's stock of QBs is, when a guy like Tom Savage has gone from a 7TH-UDFA to now possibly a 2nd-3rd (I'm not a Savage fan).
Boyd, Fales, Wenning, and Gilbert all seem like guys that would make very good backups late in the draft. I'm so-so on Logan Thomas, physically he's amazing, but he never seemed to improve and he underachieved big time at VT.