There are 125 users in the forums

NYniner85's First Mock!!

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Yeah the more I watch him the more I like...he can play CB and safety reminds me of Tyler Mathieu a little. He was a leader for FSU, we don't blitz a lot, but his sack total ranked 1st among NCAA DB's.

Very solid comparison. Antoine Winfield is another one that makes sense. Joyner would be an excellent slot CB from day one. He also has multi-position flexibility and outstanding intangibles by all accounts.

I'm biased as a lifelong Noles fan, but I think he'd be a perfect fit in this defense.

Yes I've heard that comparison! I'm Noles fan too, so I might be a little biased as well lol

I'm a Noles fan and like both of your mocks today but would take Wilder with a 7th if he's there :)
Originally posted by hofer36:
i think youre wrong re niners drafting brent urban--dallas will pick him
so that they have an urban cowboy

Lol
Originally posted by T-9ers:
A starting cornerback is what we need most and is what I think we willl target in round 1. Last year's draft a free safety was what we needed most and that's what we got. I'm not buying all this stuff about HarBaalke knowing how to get corners later and develop them. If this is totally true then why the hell do we need a corner upgrade every year? The deepest talent pool for receivers ever and everyone wants to pick one early. Not feeling it, we run the ball and play defense. Let's not forget what we do best.

I have us grabbing 2 cbs in the 1st 3 rds...do we nee a cb every yr? TB values the DL and pass rush over cb as we have seen in the past. Our DL has made our secondary better EX Rogers (was a bust before coming to San Fran). They were looking at Djax, sanders, nicks for a reason and if we end up paying Kap top ten QB money then we'd better give him some play makers!
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
The Jags are going to give us a 4th rd pick and next years 2nd rd pick to move up from #70 to #56? Really?

We get a mid 2nd rd pick next year plus an early 3rd rd pick and an early 4th rd pick this year for a late 2nd rounder?

If they see a QB they like at that spot sure,We might be able to grab a 4th (mid 4th) from a team with a need like QB
But we are not getting a 4th. For trading #56 with #70, moving back 14 slots we are getting a 2nd rd pick in 2015 and a 4th rd pick plus the #70 pick.

No QB available late 2nd rd will draw that kind of a trade.
The Jags are going to give us a 4th rd pick and next years 2nd rd pick to move up from #70 to #56? Really?

We get a mid 2nd rd pick next year plus an early 3rd rd pick and an early 4th rd pick this year for a late 2nd rounder?

If they see a QB they like at that spot sure,We might be able to grab a 4th (mid 4th) from a team with a need like QB
But we are not getting a 4th. For trading #56 with #70, moving back 14 slots we are getting a 2nd rd pick in 2015 and a 4th rd pick plus the #70 pick.

While I do think it might be a stretch(for the extra 4th) why wouldn't there be a QB there? Hell they have Bridgewater dropping out of the 1st in some mocks now and there are players like Garoppolo and Savage.

While I do think it might be a stretch(for the extra 4th) why wouldn't there be a QB there? Hell they have Bridgewater dropping out of the 1st in some mocks now and there are players like Garoppolo and Savage.

They could still be on the board but a 2nd rd pick to move up 14 slots in to the top of the 2nd is pretty steep. Especially an early to mid 2nd rounder. That kind of move would normally get you a 4th round pick and maybe a 6th added, not a 2nd rd and a 4th rd pick. You could possibly get a future 3rd rounder and a 6th.

Draft charts vary. The one I checked shows #56 worth 340 pts and #70 worth 240 pts. The difference is 100pts which would be worth the 100thpick, very late 3rd rounder in the compensatory range. You would normally get a late 3rd rounder or an early 4th rounder plus a kicker like a 6th. The 70th pick is the 8th pick in rd #3. You could get the 8th pick in rd 4 plus a 6th or possibly get a future 3rd plus a 6th. A future 2nd from a team drafting 8th would probably be an early to mid rd pick #40-#45 and they wouldn't part with it just to move up to the end of rd 2.

That would be a 2015 aprox #43 plus the #70 and aprox #110 , for our #56, not likely.

They could probably get a better deal from the team at #55 or #57

They could still be on the board but a 2nd rd pick to move up 14 slots in to the top of the 2nd is pretty steep. Especially an early to mid 2nd rounder. That kind of move would normally get you a 4th round pick and maybe a 6th added, not a 2nd rd and a 4th rd pick. You could possibly get a future 3rd rounder and a 6th.

Draft charts vary. The one I checked shows #56 worth 340 pts and #70 worth 240 pts. The difference is 100pts which would be worth the 100thpick, very late 3rd rounder in the compensatory range. You would normally get a late 3rd rounder or an early 4th rounder plus a kicker like a 6th. The 70th pick is the 8th pick in rd #3. You could get the 8th pick in rd 4 plus a 6th or possibly get a future 3rd plus a 6th. A future 2nd from a team drafting 8th would probably be an early to mid rd pick #40-#45 and they wouldn't part with it just to move up to the end of rd 2.

That would be a 2015 aprox #43 plus the #70 and aprox #110 , for our #56, not likely.

Yeah it is a bit much I will agree, but like you said draft charts vary, we moved up 13 spots in the 1st for just a 3rd pick...it also comes down to how much a team covets a player.

Yeah it is a bit much I will agree, but like you said draft charts vary, we moved up 13 spots in the 1st for just a 3rd pick...it also comes down to how much a team covets a player.

How about a conditional pick for next year? We still get the players in the mock and future pick depending on the players play.
A starting cornerback is what we need most and is what I think we willl target in round 1. Last year's draft a free safety was what we needed most and that's what we got. I'm not buying all this stuff about HarBaalke knowing how to get corners later and develop them. If this is totally true then why the hell do we need a corner upgrade every year? The deepest talent pool for receivers ever and everyone wants to pick one early. Not feeling it, we run the ball and play defense. Let's not forget what we do best.
Your statement describes well what the Niners have been. The problem is that philosophy, or focus, has not yielded a SB victory. IMO, the team should grow.

I've tried to avoid looking at mocks lately outside this forum...largely because unless you really follow the Niners, you tend to not know what they're likely to do in the draft. One thing I did notice after looking at Walter Football, DraftTek and a couple of others, though, is the top CB's have slipped some...I hope that actually happens, so if Dennard or Fuller's available in the early 20's, I could see Baalke making a deal to get his guy.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Your statement describes well what the Niners have been. The problem is that philosophy, or focus, has not yielded a SB victory. IMO, the team should grow.

Exactly! We will still run the ball, but if we add a play maker like Beckham it opens the field, no more 8 in the box! If we are going to sign Kap to top 10 QB money we need to give him young play makers
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I've tried to avoid looking at mocks lately outside this forum...largely because unless you really follow the Niners, you tend to not know what they're likely to do in the draft. One thing I did notice after looking at Walter Football, DraftTek and a couple of others, though, is the top CB's have slipped some...I hope that actually happens, so if Dennard or Fuller's available in the early 20's, I could see Baalke making a deal to get his guy.

Yeah it blows my mind seeing some of the picks that the "draft experts" are giving the Niners. I am a fan of Fuller and wouldn't mind if he is the pick. I really wouldn't want to move up for a CB in the 1st just because TB, at least in the past, hasn't valued the CB position as much as the front 7 (hasn't drafted a CB in the 1st 2 rds). I think there is good value in the 2nd with Joyner (who I like based on versatility and toughness), Breeland, Desir, Gaines, Reynolds, McGill, Jean-Baptiste should all be available there.

Exactly! We will still run the ball, but if we add a play maker like Beckham it opens the field, no more 8 in the box! If we are going to sign Kap to top 10 QB money we need to give him young play makers

Adding playmakers like ODB or Brandin Cooks, guys that can take the top off a defense at any moment, adds a whole new element to this offense and opens a lot of things up. Like you pointed out, teams can't stack the box with those one of those guys on the field so it's kind of like picking your poison.

And you're right, if Kap is getting a mega contract, might as well give him some more playmakers that we'll have on the cheap for the next 4-5 years.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

Adding playmakers like ODB or Brandin Cooks, guys that can take the top off a defense at any moment, adds a whole new element to this offense and opens a lot of things up. Like you pointed out, teams can't stack the box with those one of those guys on the field so it's kind of like picking your poison.

And you're right, if Kap is getting a mega contract, might as well give him some more playmakers that we'll have on the cheap for the next 4-5 years.
Someone agrees!!
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 7, 2014 at 8:44 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone