There are 159 users in the forums

Why Martavious Bryant

Oh, and his name is Martavis.
I'd take him as a second receiver in the draft. He is raw and young. Might be a project but could develop into a deep threat.
If anyone in the entire draft strikes me as a guy who doesn't give a crap about anything on planet earth except himself it's this guy. I just get a bad vide from him. He seems like the kind of guy who's going to be all about the money & partying and just do enough to keep the money coming in.

Do I have anything solid on which to base this? No. I might be paranoid, but Bryant just strikes me as that kind of character. I'd love to be wrong about him.
...though one positive thing I will say about Bryant is that he's a willing / good blocker. That's a huge asset in the Niners' offense.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
...though one positive thing I will say about Bryant is that he's a willing / good blocker. That's a huge asset in the Niners' offense.

You posted exactly what I was going to post in reply to your first post :)

How many selfish guys who don't care block like Bryant did? Without Bryant Watkins is not a top 5 pick. Look at Watkins catches the VAST majority were in screens and a huge number of them have Bryant out front blocking.
Why another thread about this fool ????
Originally posted by Scoots:
You posted exactly what I was going to post in reply to your first post :)

How many selfish guys who don't care block like Bryant did?

That's a good point. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I just get a bad vibe from him.

The last 2 players about whom I said that were Sergio Kindle and Justin Blackmon. I felt like something was seriously off about those 2 guys. I get the same feeling about Bryant.
I got that feeling about Gilbert this year ... I can't explain it, but I just don't want that guy.

Last year I really wanted Keenan Allen because he had all the non-measurable things and when he got his chance he took it ... I think Bryant hasn't really had a chance to shine with an offense where the QB, the running game, and a passing game were all focused on other players strengths and not on the things Bryant was best at. I think given the chance he could be great. Did you know the 49ers met with Watkins at the combine to talk to him about Bryant and Breeland? It looks like the 49ers are interested ... but who knows how much or how early some other team will take him.
I like his combination of height and speed, but the he isn't a natural hands guy and the body catches are a big red flag to me. No surprise three of the biggest body catchers also the leaders in drop percentages - Moncrief 11.11%, Lee 12.31% and Bryant 12.50%. Out of these 3 Bryant probably has the best hands but I am not a fan of any wide receiver who doesnt instinctively look to high point the ball with their hands.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 27, 2014 at 2:43 PM ]
If they like his attitude, they should try to get Martavis Bryant in rd 3. He has a giant catch radius and is a deep burner who averaged >22 yds per catch for career. I haven't seen any evidence of him being a bad guy. He seems to have a good attitude, good blocker. Tall guys like him (6'5") take longer to mature, but he has the best upside of the WR's, and would be a steal in rd 3. He could blow-up into an all-pro level WR.

Latimer, Matthews, Robinson and Adams would also be good, but will likely be early rd 2 picks. I think they are looking at WR's late in draft to develop with Boldin and Stevie Johnson to be their mentors. So look for Martavis Bryant, Albert Wilson, Jeff Janis, etc.
[ Edited by maxsmart on May 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM ]

Want this kid tomorrow!
Now that he's dropped to day 3, I can justify taking him. Just didn't want him on day 2.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Want this kid tomorrow!

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Now that he's dropped to day 3, I can justify taking him. Just didn't want him on day 2.

Well if we've hosted or been caught speaking with a WR we draft then he is one of only a couple remaining possibilities

These are the remaining WRs that the FOs interest in is public knowledge. Any other WR would be someone who fell in our lap

Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson: Visit (Ranked #57)
Albert Wilson, WR, Georgia State: Visit (Ranked #220)
Jeremy Butler, WR, Tennessee-Martin: "Interested" according to WF and Pro day (Not ranked)
Kain Colter, WR: "Spoke at length with him at Pro day" (Not ranked)

Bryant is basically the only one being drafted. I could see Wilson being picked in the 7th but I'm pretty sure Butler and Colter will be UDFAs.
[ Edited by sfout on May 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM ]
So after three games, he basically looks like a young Randy Moss. He was always a boom/bust prospect, but damn if he does not look like a major boom right now.5 TDs in his first three games. Looks like he has bulked up some as well.

Breeland looks like a stud so far as well.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
So after three games, he basically looks like a young Randy Moss. He was always a boom/bust prospect, but damn if he does not look like a major boom right now.5 TDs in his first three games. Looks like he has bulked up some as well.

Breeland looks like a stud so far as well.

Bryant benefits from being the red zone target behind a QB on a great streak
Will go back to the bench when big Ben cools off
Share 49ersWebzone