There are 288 users in the forums

Jacksonvilles #39-#40???

Do you see any scenario where we might be able trade out of #30 and land both their 2nds???

Maybe #30, #56, #170 and #242

We could go something like this in the 2nd...

Verrett
Tuitt
Moncrief
Attaochu

It could set us really nice for a great 2nd round. Any chance we could make a play for Jacksonville's two 2nds???
umm, Jacksonville only has 1 2nd rd pick.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

That. Minnesota owns #40.

I could see Jacksonville trading up from #39 to get a QB if they go another direction in the 1st, though.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Holy sh$&@t, not sure which site i was looking at but one of them has it listed #39-#40 Jacksonville.

Well then, guess that they can't really pair someone else's pick with theirs to trade us then.....
[ Edited by CWin4949 on Apr 19, 2014 at 8:28 PM ]
I'm not to sure if Verrett or Tuitt will be there even with the Jags pick
I still would love to trade back 4-5 spots and pick up 4 2nd round selections.
With 3 in the 3rd- and-2- in the 2nd- we have the ammo to move up. You want to move up not down, that's where the talent is. If we can come away with 4 pick's in the first 3rds with each pick not lower than 15 from the start of each rd. we will have owned the draft. When you can take 4 players from your draft and plug them into your starting lineup you've had a great draft. Don't forget last years they haven't arrived on the seen yet but they're coming. Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Marcus Lattimore and what's soon to come, look out Superbowl 6 it's coming.
The more I think of the 49ers draft positioning the more it is a win-win situation. If there is a run on quarterbacks in the first round there will be some pretty good players falling to us at the end of round one. On the other hand, if teams wait to take a QB late first or second round the 49ers will be able to trade and get more 2nd and 3rd round picks this year or some futures for 2015. With the right moves Baalke could enhance his value as a GM in the league. If he doesn't connect, his stay in SF will be in question.
It is possible we could trade back 4-5 slots and gain an early 3rd rd pick. We could then take both our early 3rd round picks and trade them for a mid 2nd round pick 40-45. That would leave us with four 2nd round picks. If we trade back with the depth of this draft we would probably be better off drafting three 2nd rd picks and then having four 3rd rd picks including 2 early ones. That would give us 7 premium draft picks in a very deep draft plus our 4th and 5th rounders and the three 7th rd picks.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The more I think of the 49ers draft positioning the more it is a win-win situation. If there is a run on quarterbacks in the first round there will be some pretty good players falling to us at the end of round one. On the other hand, if teams wait to take a QB late first or second round the 49ers will be able to trade and get more 2nd and 3rd round picks this year or some futures for 2015. With the right moves Baalke could enhance his value as a GM in the league. If he doesn't connect, his stay in SF will be in question.

Only here.

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
It is possible we could trade back 4-5 slots and gain an early 3rd rd pick. We could then take both our early 3rd round picks and trade them for a mid 2nd round pick 40-45. That would leave us with four 2nd round picks. If we trade back with the depth of this draft we would probably be better off drafting three 2nd rd picks and then having four 3rd rd picks including 2 early ones. That would give us 7 premium draft picks in a very deep draft plus our 4th and 5th rounders and the three 7th rd picks.

It's interesting. I had always wondered why teams don't do this all the time. My logic was, if you trade back from the 1st, then up with all your other picks you could end up with 4 or 5 players from rounds 2 and 3. And that would be better because you would still be drafting talented players, but you'd double your chances of success.

And when I look at the players I want out of any given draft year, it always seems like there's 4-5 guys I really like that could be had in that range. This year, for example, I would love come away with come combination of Moncrief, Bryant, Ellington, Jean-Baptiste, Joyner, Attaochu, Marcus Smith, Bailey, Dixon, and Bucannon.

But a few years ago the Patriots actually did this. At the time I thought they were geniuses. But it turns out we were all wrong. They didn't get a single impact player out of 4 second round picks and it actually set them back quite a bit.

I still haven't totally given up on the theory, but I see now why GMs don't do it more.

No offense, but you seem to propose the most unrealistic and one-sided trades out of everyone on here. At best, we could probably get 40 and 72 from the Vikings for 30 if a good QB was available, but that trade favors us so I think we would have to throw in our late 4th round pick. No one is going to give up an early third round pick to move up 4-5 spots. Last season, we gave up the 74th pick to move from 31 to 18. We could still end up with 4 2nd round picks if we traded pick 72 and 77 which may make sense if we are able to get Tuitt or Moncrief at 40 or in the mid-2nd round from trading our 3rd round picks.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

It's interesting. I had always wondered why teams don't do this all the time. My logic was, if you trade back from the 1st, then up with all your other picks you could end up with 4 or 5 players from rounds 2 and 3. And that would be better because you would still be drafting talented players, but you'd double your chances of success.

And when I look at the players I want out of any given draft year, it always seems like there's 4-5 guys I really like that could be had in that range. This year, for example, I would love come away with come combination of Moncrief, Bryant, Ellington, Jean-Baptiste, Joyner, Attaochu, Marcus Smith, Bailey, Dixon, and Bucannon.

But a few years ago the Patriots actually did this. At the time I thought they were geniuses. But it turns out we were all wrong. They didn't get a single impact player out of 4 second round picks and it actually set them back quite a bit.

I still haven't totally given up on the theory, but I see now why GMs don't do it more.

This is the exact thing that I've always wondered and in recent years we've seemed to have multiple higher round picks, but yet it seems like the lower drafted players make most of the impact.

Some players over the years have been no brainers, but you would think that 2-3 round range would net sure fire solid picks. The thing that sucks though, those 2-3 range guys are the ones that were rated more as development players, but sometimes you end up with franchise players and people talk about how could they have fallen.

I guess it really is just a guessing game when it comes to the draft, so maybe the more picks you have the higher percentage you have to land better players, but ultimately it's the coaching staff you have in place that can take a seemly average player and make them great or vise versa.
The pats can always be a player in the trade back game, and their sitting in a good spot at pick 29 in the first to do such.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

It doesn't matter how many picks you have if you pick the wrong players. Take a look at the draft and see who was available that the pats passed on. The best draft the 49ers ever had they traded back out of the 1st round all the way back to the 3rd round and ended up with one 2nd rd pick and a bunch of extra picks in rounds 3 and 4. That was 86.

The draft logic is trade up in a weak draft class to get good players before they are all gone and trade back in a deep draft class because there is more value in the later rounds because of the depth. This is a very deep draft class so the logic would be to trade back but we are also already loaded with picks so it could go either way. The exception to the rule is a special player you need like a Jerry Rice you have to trade up for.

This year I would probably trade back, pick up an extra 3rd or possibly 2nd round pick for 2015 then draft around 35-38. Then draft Tuitt or Attaochu. There are lots of CB's and WR's I like that we could get in rounds 2 and 3 and even into the 4th round.
Share 49ersWebzone