LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

49ers Draft Prediction- TWO picks in Rnd 1, WR then CB (updated w/ ESPN, SFC, CSN)

Originally posted by kryptonite13:
We should stay right where we are, with a bit of luck Kelv. Benj will be there and then we can watch him run over Richard Sherman. Don't panick the niners are sitting pretty, if they don't mind eating a little crow Austin Sef. or Troy Nilkas in the second would give them a nice much needed redzone target.

Nice to hear someone else gets it....
No way the team trades away next years #1.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Baalke does need to draft future starters...at WR, for sure.

Exceptional analysis!
I agree. WR is the area they need to focus on for future starters. But because they are looking for a FUTURE starter.

What I mean when I say that Baalke wants to draft "starters" is that he wants to draft guys that I believe he can feel comfortable putting on the field like at mid-season 2014 without hesitation. He wants to put a first-round caliber WR in for Michael Crabtree if Crabs twists his ankle in Week 7. He wants to throw a first-round caliber CB in the slot when Chris Cook plays below par as the nickel CB.

Crabs is in a contract year. Boldin isn't going to be here long. Lloyd may not make the roster. Assuming Patton becomes a #1 or #2 is questionable.

Cully could get suspended. Besides Tremaine Brock, we have no one at CB besides Cook & Cox.

So when you guys say "future" starters, I think we're kinda on the same page, but I think the 49ers will show urgency on draft day. The whole gist of my prediction is that this team has the ammo to move up and take more "NFL-ready" talent in the first round rather than take guys in later rounds who might need more time to develop. Again, the talent drop-off from Rounds 1 to 2 in the draft is significant considering WR, as outlined in one of my earlier posts.

And I think the 49ers want that NFL-ready guy in a WR because they were burned so bad on AJ Jenkins. Why take a shaky receiver at #30 or in the second round when you can move up and take a guy you feel more confident about in Round 1? Especially when they have the draft picks to do it and a generally full roster.

I think Baalke & Harbs want a stud at WR who can move into a starting position (#1 or #2) as early as 2015. They want the guy that visited Santa Clara this spring that wowed them big time. They don't want to compromise on some mid-level WR that will drop to them at #30. That's what I mean by "starter," as opposed to a developmental player.

Again, look back at my post when I discuss the Packers taking receivers as a means to invest in the future (Nelson & Cobb). I think the 49ers can and will do the same in Round 1.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Apr 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM ]
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by kryptonite13:
We should stay right where we are, with a bit of luck Kelv. Benj will be there and then we can watch him run over Richard Sherman. Don't panick the niners are sitting pretty, if they don't mind eating a little crow Austin Sef. or Troy Nilkas in the second would give them a nice much needed redzone target.

Nice to hear someone else gets it....

What do we gain by staying at #30? Guarantee you they won't.

The 49ers will not draft 11 players. They barely need 7.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
No way the team trades away next years #1.

Yeah, it's iffy. We kinda came to that conclusion on page 2. Looks more like move up in Round 1 for a WR and maybe in Round 2 as well for a CB.

But you never know...
I dont get why some of you are so afraid to move up in the draft. If baalke has player targeted then you move up and do what it takes. Gotta sac up and get in win now mode.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I'd go nuts if we got Watkins
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Baalke was responsible for the 2010 draft.

Regardless, what's the point of waiting? The 49ers need starters, not depth. They barely need 7 new players, let alone 11.

The Niners will take the stud-players they want unless they can't find a trade partner. Two guys in the first round. Bet on it.

Personally the signing of Lloyd to a one year contract allows the 49ers the flexibility to draft a developmental WR in this years draft. I.e. they can get a physically talented WR but without the accomplishments of a top pick and develop him for a year. I do think the 49ers will trade up for a top flight WR, that position needs some depth as the cap will destroy it by next year, but it will be after they pick up a top flight cornerback. WR hasn't been a big concern for this front office and the coaching staff since they have been here. I believe that other than AJ Jenkins -- the other 3 WR's chosen in the previous drafts were very low round picks. Harbaugh places a premium on strong defenses to close out and win games, and he's not really shown an interest in putting a lot of high draft capital in the WR position in previous years other than AJ Jenkins. Patton has been developing nicely and was productive in the playoffs. I believe the signing of Lloyd, the development of Patton, and the depth of this draft will allow the 49ers to choose a WR possibly in the 2nd or 3rd rounds rather than the first.

But if they do draft Mike Evans with their first round pick - and I don't know how expensive that trade will be - I certainly won't mind!!!
Lloyd didn't even play last yr and isn't even guaranteed spot! We need play makers on this team now not development players. I want someone who can open the field and allow us to have 3 WR sets plus give Davis one on one match ups with no safety help. I hope we move up for ODB JR he would be able to create miss matches and take care of punt/kick returns...There was a reason we were looking at Djax, sanders and Edelman.

Mostly to Giedi...

First off, Lloyd is insurance. That's it. He's there in case someone gets injured.

Think that's wrong? During every season of the Harbaugh era, the WR position has been decimated by injuries. In 2011, we lost everyone except Crabtree, which brought the likes of Brett Swain to a starting position. In 2012, Manningham & Kyle Williams both went down, leaving Crabs, Moss, & Ginn as the only starters. In 2013, Manningham was still hurt and Crabtree & Patton went down for half the season.

See a trend there? You have to look at this team and think of it without Lloyd AND Anquan Boldin. Lloyd is a insurance... he won't be here long and the 49ers would rather move forward without having to rely on him period. Meanwhile, Boldin has only got probably two years left. And Patton is a project that may or may not work out.

So assuming Boldin is done in two years, why would you wait until Round 2 or 3 to draft your next starter at the WR position? Why wouldn't you move up in Round 1 (since they have the picks to do it and nearly a full roster) and take a guy that will without a doubt start on this team for the next 5-8 years?

That's what i'm talking about. Even if Patton works out, he could be the #3. Crabs & a guy like Evans or Beckham, Jr. would be your #1 & #2.

And I counter your "drafting WR" argument with the fact that the 49ers have not taken a CB in the draft in the first two rounds cine Shawntae Spencer in 2004. That logic goes both ways. And while I agree with you that the 49ers win games with defense, the WR position has been a problem with this team dating back to the Erickson-era. Yeah, they got Crabs, but haven't found anyone consistent to play opposite of him. I think they'll move up for that guy come draft day.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by kem99:
The Mort report sounds like typical draft smoke and mirrors but if they did trade up to 5, it should be for Watkins, not Evans.

Beyond that, if they trade up to the middle of the 1st round, I'd expect it to be for a CB. Both positions are deep but WR seems a little deeper in the 2nd tier (w/ Watkins and Evans in the 1st tier) and there seems like there is a real possibility that there could be a run on CB's that starts around the middle of Round 1, so if the 49ers want one of the top 5-6 CB's, they may very well need to move up.

That said, they've been pretty good at finding CB's, so it might be a move-up in the 2nd round to get a CB that they particularly like and believe can come in and play that the Kipers and McShays of the world view as going later, such as what occurred when the 49ers selected Culliver.

Of course it would be for Watkins. I mean seriously people?

How many times was Mike Evans given a handoff by his team? How many times was he thrown a screen? A couple?
Sammy Watkins took a "handful" of screens to the house. He is infinity Google Plex more talented than Mike "I caught a few jump balls" Evans.

Moving up for Watkins at number 5 would be the only dramatic move up I could accept. I still don't think it is a good idea for the long term, but I would be very excited if our team ended up with Sammy Friggin Watkins.

I'd love them to go after Watkins, but I don't think they'll spend all the picks on one player. Evans or Beckham would be cheaper.
Mostly to Giedi...

First off, Lloyd is insurance. That's it. He's there in case someone gets injured.

Think that's wrong? During every season of the Harbaugh era, the WR position has been decimated by injuries. In 2011, we lost everyone except Crabtree, which brought the likes of Brett Swain to a starting position. In 2012, Manningham & Kyle Williams both went down, leaving Crabs, Moss, & Ginn as the only starters. In 2013, Manningham was still hurt and Crabtree & Patton went down for half the season.

See a trend there? You have to look at this team and think of it without Lloyd AND Anquan Boldin. Lloyd is a insurance... he won't be here long and the 49ers would rather move forward without having to rely on him period. Meanwhile, Boldin has only got probably two years left. And Patton is a project that may or may not work out.

So assuming Boldin is done in two years, why would you wait until Round 2 or 3 to draft your next starter at the WR position? Why wouldn't you move up in Round 1 (since they have the picks to do it and nearly a full roster) and take a guy that will without a doubt start on this team for the next 5-8 years?

That's what i'm talking about. Even if Patton works out, he could be the #3. Crabs & a guy like Evans or Beckham, Jr. would be your #1 & #2.

And I counter your "drafting WR" argument with the fact that the 49ers have not taken a CB in the draft in the first two rounds cine Shawntae Spencer in 2004. That logic goes both ways. And while I agree with you that the 49ers win games with defense, the WR position has been a problem with this team dating back to the Erickson-era. Yeah, they got Crabs, but haven't found anyone consistent to play opposite of him. I think they'll move up for that guy come draft day.

I don't think we will keep Crabs long term. If he asks Mike Wallace money, I would pass. No WR is worth that money. I rather wait and draft another WR to take his spot, or sign a cheaper player.

I don't see Boldin going anywhere for the time being. He is our #1 WR right now IMO. Crabs had 1 great season, with injury filled other seasons. I love Crabs, but I wouldn't go over $8-$9M a year for him. And I highly doubt Baalke will either.

Unless we plan on letting Crabtree go after this year I see no point in giving up the farm for Watkins or Evans. Even if we do to me it's not worth giving up our entire draft for one player when this is a deep WR class. Plus we aren't even a passing team so the first year we end up having Watkins or Evans as our #3 and they only play half or less of the plays this season. However, I could see us trading for another first. I'm good if we can end up with Dennard, Gilbert, Verrett or Fuller and then if we trade up for another first I think Beckham or Cooks would be the target but I'd be fine with staying at 56 and taking Jordan Matthews.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 25, 2014 at 7:15 PM ]
To trade up to get to 12ish area will take a lot. No way i see us then trading up again to get into the 1st rd again
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Unless we plan on letting Crabtree go after this year I see no point in giving up the farm for Watkins or Evans. Even if we do to me it's not worth giving up our entire draft for one player when this is a deep WR class. Plus we aren't even a passing team so the first year we end up having Watkins or Evans as our #3 and they only play half or less of the plays this season. However, I could see us trading for another first. I'm good if we can end up with Dennard, Gilbert, Verrett or Fuller and then if we trade up for another first I think Beckham or Cooks would be the target but I'd be fine with staying at 56 and taking Jordan Matthews.

It's an investment for the future. Boldin's only gonna be here 2-3 years.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Trade up twice into the first round? Dude, are you high? Also, I agree with sofa ... the draft is way too deep to waste picks. More numbers in camp to compete equals more chances to find a gem. And I fully expect the walking wounded selections too continue as well, which are equal to high draft picks next year when they are healthy.
Ok. But 11 players are not a waste? 5 might make our team.... everything else will be handed away. So I like trading up. I really think drafting more than 7 is a waste. Unless we get a miracle after the 5th no one is making the team. We need to draft heavy in the first 4 rounds
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Baalke was responsible for the 2010 draft.

Regardless, what's the point of waiting? The 49ers need starters, not depth. They barely need 7 new players, let alone 11.

The Niners will take the stud-players they want unless they can't find a trade partner. Two guys in the first round. Bet on it.

Personally the signing of Lloyd to a one year contract allows the 49ers the flexibility to draft a developmental WR in this years draft. I.e. they can get a physically talented WR but without the accomplishments of a top pick and develop him for a year. I do think the 49ers will trade up for a top flight WR, that position needs some depth as the cap will destroy it by next year, but it will be after they pick up a top flight cornerback. WR hasn't been a big concern for this front office and the coaching staff since they have been here. I believe that other than AJ Jenkins -- the other 3 WR's chosen in the previous drafts were very low round picks. Harbaugh places a premium on strong defenses to close out and win games, and he's not really shown an interest in putting a lot of high draft capital in the WR position in previous years other than AJ Jenkins. Patton has been developing nicely and was productive in the playoffs. I believe the signing of Lloyd, the development of Patton, and the depth of this draft will allow the 49ers to choose a WR possibly in the 2nd or 3rd rounds rather than the first.

But if they do draft Mike Evans with their first round pick - and I don't know how expensive that trade will be - I certainly won't mind!!!
Lloyd didn't even play last yr and isn't even guaranteed spot! We need play makers on this team now not development players. I want someone who can open the field and allow us to have 3 WR sets plus give Davis one on one match ups with no safety help. I hope we move up for ODB JR he would be able to create miss matches and take care of punt/kick returns...There was a reason we were looking at Djax, sanders and Edelman.

Mostly to Giedi...

I tend to agree with NickSh49. I think we move up to get a stud WR in the first round, and that WR will be our first pick. I have a feeling it will be Beckham, Jr. or Marqise Lee in the 15-20 range. I also think we will move up for our second pick and draft a CB (or Demarcus Lawrence if he is still available, which would cause CB to slide until end of second round), whether we get all the way back into the first round or top of the second remains to be seen. No reason not to use our draft capital to maneuver for the guys we want.
Share 49ersWebzone