LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 97 users in the forums

irish's 1000th post... MOCK DRAFT...V2.0

Instead of burning good picks to get Gilbert, Baalke should target Fuller. He may have to trade up slightly, but at a much lower cost. Another option is to trade out of #30 spot to gain a 3rd 2nd rounder. Trading up in 2nd or 3rd rds not as expensive as in the first...and plenty of talent to choose from.

Matthews is a better pick than Moncrief. I say that based on a much more extensive college career with consistent production. Also arguably has the best work ethic of anyone in this draft.

Don't see Landry as a replacement for either Crabtree or Boldin. Plenty of options for bigger WR's who are faster, like: Adams, Robinson, Abbrederis, Bryant & Ellington (not big, but a stout 195 lbs on a 5-9 frame).

You didn't include a DL, QB or ILB, all three in need of depth.
Originally posted by irishluder:
First off I want to say that I've been with the Webzone for a very long time and I don't tend to post unless I find it necessary, hence its taken me almost 10 years to get to 1000 posts.

It was the 2005 draft that gave me my borderline obsession with the 49ers draft and the draft process... I want to thank OTC, MadDog, and AB81 for the early years of draft and salary cap updates that helped me through the offseason's.

TRADES:
SF trade #30 and #77 to TEN for #11
SF trades LaMichael James to Eagles for #162 (5th) ... Chip Kelly can use James much better than we could, we part ways. Good for both teams and player.
SF trades the #129(4th) to the Raiders for a 2015 3rd round pick.
SF trades the #242 to the Patriots for a 2015 6th round pick.

DRAFT:

#11- Justin Gilbert CB OK State
Baalke trades up to get an instant starter and very good corner with a high ceiling due to his athletic ability. Gilbert will contribute in his rookie year and also makes James expendable because of his ability to return kicks at a high level.

#56- LaMarcus Joyner CB/S Florida State
In this deep draft we wait and take best DB/WR, in this case Joyner falls to us. He is tough as nails and will be a great nickle corner and transition to a Safety position when Bethea is done or continue to be a undersized CB to follow the shifty WR's in the slot.

#61- Donte Moncrief WR Ole Miss
A promising WR that will stretch the field and add some height to the WR corps. Needs to work on the route tree and concentration as drops were a slight issue, but can also make circus catches. Needs to learn to catch the ball at the high point and not body catch. Boldin will help tremendously as an on the field coach and mentor.

#94- Jarvis Landry WR LSU
I honestly dont think we will/can resign Michael Crabtree, We'll focus on resigning Kaep and keep our salary cap under control by continuing to add solid rookie talent. Landry is a GREAT hands catcher, blocker, and fearless catcher in the middle of the field. Not a speedster or #1 WR, therefore is still here. He will be honored and very fortunate to learn under a veteran like Boldin, Landry could be considered a Boldin clone and IMO a steal in the 3rd thanks to the deep talent in the draft.

#100- CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
Vernon isn't getting any younger and we sorely need to upgrade the #3 TE with all the talent we have on the roster. CJ has the size to block in the NFL and big soft hands, but doesn't have alot of college production as a receiving tight end. Will push McDonald to be the #2.

#129- Traded away for a 3rd rounder in 2015 to the Oakland Raiders.

#162- Brandon Thomas OG Clemson
Poor kid tore his knee during a workout with the saints, he was a low 2nd rounder to high 3rd rounder pre injury. He could be this years Tank Carradine. He will be placed on the IR and hence will learn behind Iupati and not lose a year on the contract.

#170- Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma
Another talented player that was shooting up the draft boards before he tore his ACL. He will spend the year on the IR and learn from the bench and allow us to focus on DL upgrades in next years draft. Should have been gone in the 2nd round if not injured, our talented roster is making other GM's puke because we can invest in the future without hurting the present SB run we are making.

#242- Traded to NE for a 6th rounder in 2015.

#243- Nickoe Whitley S Miss State
A tough as nails football player, played most of his senior season on a torn ACL, has good instincts and can play the ball and make turnovers. Not the most gifted athlete, but rather a mentally tough player that hopefully works hard to breakdown QB film and could be a starter in the NFL in a couple of years.

#245- Howard Jones OLB Shepard
Small school prospect that could go anywhere from 5th round to UDFA, a very athletic player who was consistent statistically. Started as a WR then went to the defensive side of the ball. Has room to grow strength wise. With a NFL training program he could fill his frame and get the strength he'll need in the NFL. Has possible learning issues and could struggle with learning a complicated NFL playbook. Special teams and great camp competition at OLB.

I'll be adding the 53 man roster tomorrow, its getting late.

NOTE:
I wanted to get a impact player and add to the DB and WR group, I realize that I didn't add a QB or ILB. I feel that Wilhoite will fill in nicely and Moody could surprise also. I dont think a rookie would push either off the roster unless he is picked in the top 100. I trust in Harbaugh and if he likes Gabbert then great! He was a 1st round talent and a change of scenery could help the kid and his confidence.

First off congrats on your 1,000th post...now with your draft I like Gilbert, but like everyone else has said it would most likely take our 1st, 1st 2nd, and 1st 3rd to move up to that spot ( I'd rather do that for Evans based on Baalke's eye for drafting CB in later rds ... WR not so much). I think maybe moving up a couple picks to get Fuller who has the size and length (which Baalke likes) might be the smart move.

Joyner is a tough player that would work in the nickle and I'm on the Moncrief bandwagon. We need to grab a slot receiver with speed instead of Landry maybe Richardson or Herron? I think we are fine at TE and we don't need to draft one in the 3rd.

I'm on board for scooping up injured players with talent...all in all I like the players you talked about, but if we move up I hope its for a play maker not CB because our D is based around the front seven (which makes our DB's look like studs). I think we can find a CB or 2 in the 2nd-3rd that will fit our scheme
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
Imo no rookie will start our roster is set
I still like M. Lee at #30
What!?!?! We have serious holes at CB, a rookie WILL be starting after the first quarter of the season, maybe game 1?

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Matthews is a better pick than Moncrief. I say that based on a much more extensive college career with consistent production. Also arguably has the best work ethic of anyone in this draft.

Don't see Landry as a replacement for either Crabtree or Boldin. Plenty of options for bigger WR's who are faster, like: Adams, Robinson, Abbrederis, Bryant & Ellington (not big, but a stout 195 lbs on a 5-9 frame).

You didn't include a DL, QB or ILB, all three in need of depth.
I do like Matthews also, but Moncrief is the speed threat that we need down the sideline. Landry is a very good possession receiver and will make losing Boldin to retirement not so bad, the future will be Moncrief and Patton on the side and Landry in the slot. Thats a good combo

DL is Carradine, QB is Gabbert and UDFA for camp competition, ILB is mentioned in thread

Originally posted by NYniner85:
First off congrats on your 1,000th post...now with your draft I like Gilbert, but like everyone else has said it would most likely take our 1st, 1st 2nd, and 1st 3rd to move up to that spot ( I'd rather do that for Evans based on Baalke's eye for drafting CB in later rds ... WR not so much). I think maybe moving up a couple picks to get Fuller who has the size and length (which Baalke likes) might be the smart move.

Joyner is a tough player that would work in the nickle and I'm on the Moncrief bandwagon. We need to grab a slot receiver with speed instead of Landry maybe Richardson or Herron? I think we are fine at TE and we don't need to draft one in the 3rd.

I'm on board for scooping up injured players with talent...all in all I like the players you talked about, but if we move up I hope its for a play maker not CB because our D is based around the front seven (which makes our DB's look like studs). I think we can find a CB or 2 in the 2nd-3rd that will fit our scheme
TE is more of a need than we realize... its time to load that part of our offense to be ready for Vernon's retirement and utilize complex TE formations to spread defenses thin.
Too many CB. We don't need 3 out of this draft. Don't need any te unless they are willing to give up on McDonald already. Would take Abbrederis over Landry.
[ Edited by WINiner on Apr 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by TheRedDemonWillis52:
Not really a good mock. Gilbert isn't really worth to trade up. Nope, he isn't going to be an instant starter. I only like your pick on Moncrief and Brandon Thomas, but I disagree with the rest of your selections.

Says who? He and Dennard could definitely start from day one.

Only as #2 CB, but not as #1 CB. They would be better off to start as the 3rd stringer. These guys won't be the instant fix solution to patch up the hole in the CB for any team. It would take 1 or 2 years for them to become a decent starter. Sorry to burst your bubble.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Moncrief will not make an impact this season....
Originally posted by fan49:

You are right, I didn't notice that he already reached too high to select Moncrief.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

TE is more of a need than we realize... its time to load that part of our offense to be ready for Vernon's retirement and utilize complex TE formations to spread defenses thin.

I mean are we gonna put 3 TE's out there? Vernon is far from retirement and we just drafted McDonald in the 2nd rd last year! I mean he would be in a competition with Celek for the 3rd spot! Just not a great idea when there is talks of running more 3 WR sets.
The selections are realistic, but the trades are not realistic with the exception of LaMichael James.

We aren't getting the 11th pick for #30 and #77. That isn't happening in any draft and the Cowboys' GM has taken a lot of flak for agreeing to the trade we made with them last season which was much less one-sided. The Titans are not going to let the 49ers screw them just because they don't have a 3rd round pick this season. I'm sure another team would offer a better trade if they really want to trade out of that spot.

We aren't getting a 3rd round pick in 2015 for pick #129 and we definitely aren't getting a 3rd round pick from a bad team like the Raiders. We may be able to move up a round trading a pick in the middle of the round like 77, but teams aren't going to give us a higher round pick to pick at the end of the round. If teams consistently offered future picks a round higher, we would he making trades like that every season and constantly getting higher picks. The same thing applies to the Patriots trade - that 7th round pick is practically a free agent given there are only 10-15 players taken after it including comp picks. We may be able to package 2 of those picks for a 6th rounder or trade one for a 7th round pick to avoid losing the player off our practice squad if we don't have space.

I like your first, 2nd, and 5th round picks but am not a fan of Landry or getting another TE. I would rather have a slot receiver with some speed if we get a second receiver. Landry seems like a slow possession receiver who could play right away which we don't need (we have Crabtree, Boldin, and Patton for now). The last thing we need is for our receiver corps to get even slower.

Crabtree gets hurt
Boldin gets hurt

What now?

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quest4six:
Crabtree gets hurt
Boldin gets hurt

What now?

Patton gets hurt, then what?
Originally posted by TheRedDemonWillis52:

You are right, I didn't notice that he already reached too high to select Moncrief.

Moncreif at the end of the 2nd isn't a reach at all, and all he's needed for is his speed over the top to stretch defenses and the red zone. Year 2 and 3 we'd need him, not his rookie campaign.
Share 49ersWebzone