LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 127 users in the forums

a definite now..??

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
no trading up now...we will have to get one more CB then we were planning so we will need all our picks. I say we pick up jimmie ward and another CB...jimmie can play slot until he takes over bethea's spot next year

see im thinking differently..we will possibly be losing a starter who we will have to draft..so im thinking we take 1 of the 2 best CBs in the draft and then draft another say with our 3rd RD comp..
Originally posted by jersey49er:
no trading up now...we will have to get one more CB then we were planning so we will need all our picks. I say we pick up jimmie ward and another CB...jimmie can play slot until he takes over bethea's spot next year

see im thinking differently..we will possibly be losing a starter who we will have to draft..so im thinking we take 1 of the 2 best CBs in the draft and then draft another say with our 3rd RD comp..
wouldnt oppose that plan either. that will probably end happening

wouldnt oppose that plan either. that will probably end happening

our draft plan might have to change though from what the FO was originally planning
our draft plan might have to change though from what the FO was originally planning

In a draft that is relatively weak at the top, I don't see the need to trade up. I don't envision Gilbert being THAT much better of a cornerback than Fuller or Verrett to where you have to give up a 2nd round pick or more to acquire him. I think if they stand pat, they can add two very talented cornerbacks in their first three picks and then pick up a developmental guy in the late 5th or even the 7th round.
Verrett and Desir...Jason to be the slot cover guy and Desir who has the length Baalke likes so much.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
In a draft that is relatively weak at the top, I don't see the need to trade up. I don't envision Gilbert being THAT much better of a cornerback than Fuller or Verrett to where you have to give up a 2nd round pick or more to acquire him. I think if they stand pat, they can add two very talented cornerbacks in their first three picks and then pick up a developmental guy in the late 5th or even the 7th round.

I hope Aaron Colvin lasts towards the end of the draft so we can pick up as our third CB. I hope we can come away with Verrett, Desir, and Colvin.
I'll take on Fuller and Desir in the first three round..... Bank it
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

im ok with that but I really think they will trade up for Gilbert..and say he slid to umm 14 it would cost us our 1st titans 3rd and say our 5th..bc didn't it only cost us our 1st and a top 10 3rd RD pick ( unsure whos pick it was ) last year to move up from 31 to 18..? give me Gilbert who will start opposite Brock day 1 and we take another CB in the 3rd..
[ Edited by jersey49er on Mar 28, 2014 at 6:35 PM ]
Does anyone think this is all the more reason we should go with Tuitt at 30 if he is available? I honestly don't think a corner short of Gilbert or Dennard is going to make as much of a difference as a strong, 2011 level pass rush. Did anyone notice the availability of top good to elite level corners that were free agents this year? Clearly CB is not where its at. Take Tuitt with the first, Desir or Joyner with our own second.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Does anyone think this is all the more reason we should go with Tuitt at 30 if he is available? I honestly don't think a corner short of Gilbert or Dennard is going to make as much of a difference as a strong, 2011 level pass rush. Did anyone notice the availability of top good to elite level corners that were free agents this year? Clearly CB is not where its at. Take Tuitt with the first, Desir or Joyner with our own second.

ill be honest I was thinking that before..our front 7 basically made an old slow footed Carlos Rogers into a good CB..i think our front 7 clearly disguised our weekness in the secondary..but I also think having Gilbert who I personally think will be a great player for years will be amazing..finally a young secondary..except Bethea..

Exactly, a top defensive lineman will be within our reach at 30 or a few picks sooner. The 49ers have shown they can spot a DB later in the draft. The 49er mentality is based on the inside-out. Pressure makes an average corner look better than he is.

ill be honest I was thinking that before..our front 7 basically made an old slow footed Carlos Rogers into a good CB..i think our front 7 clearly disguised our weekness in the secondary..but I also think having Gilbert who I personally think will be a great player for years will be amazing..finally a young secondary..except Bethea..

I can't knock taking Gilbert. But to me, unless its Gilbert or Dennard, they should still take Tuitt if he's available.
The 49ers may have guys they already love targeted for rounds 2-5. You may need a QB but there might be a Joe Montana you are going to pick in round 3 so you don't draft a QB in round 1. You may need an ILB but there might be a Navarro Bowman you can draft in round 3 so you don't target 1 in the 1st round. Often times there are players you can get in round 2 or 3 or 4 that you like better than the players expected to go in round 1. The 49ers have done most of their evalutions, We don't know what they know or who they truly think are the best CB's in the draft and in what order they covet them.

The 1 thing we do know is that CB went from a big priority to a huge one. Now we definately need 2 CB's and maybe even a third.
im ok with that but I really think they will trade up for Gilbert..and say he slid to umm 14 it would cost us our 1st titans 3rd and say our 5th..bc didn't it only cost us our 1st and a top 10 3rd RD pick ( unsure whos pick it was ) last year to move up from 31 to 18..? give me Gilbert who will start opposite Brock day 1 and we take another CB in the 3rd..

49ers basically ripped off the Cowboys, realistically that move up should have cost the 49ers their 1st and a late 2nd round. If you want to move up to 15, it'll cost the 49ers exactly that.

I can't knock taking Gilbert. But to me, unless its Gilbert or Dennard, they should still take Tuitt if he's available.

I like Tuitt..hes a beast and will be a very good 3-4 DE and I can picture him and Carradine our future taking over for Smith and Mcdonald..but he will be a back up for a year or 2 while our need for CB is way more important this year..
Share 49ersWebzone