LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 125 users in the forums

Niners awarded 3rd round Compensatory Pick

Niners awarded 3rd round Compensatory Pick

Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Well considering Bush gave us Goodell...you tell me

Are the commissioners of sporting leagues appointed by the Current President or r u just sticking up for Obama?

We have turned a comp pick thread into Obama when he has little to do with football and is more of a politician so I referenced the politician that recommended Roger Goodell to the NFL owners. They for whatever reason took his recommendation and now we have Goodell whether you like him or not. Are you sticking up for Obama? I don't know Obama that well and I don't know what he has done for or against football. What he has or hasn't done at his real job will have to speak for itself. Besides he has a couple years left and someone else will be running the show!
NO politics PLEASE!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
NO politics PLEASE!

Absolutely! We MUST stay inside our fantasy sports world. We must not venture out of the matrix!
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
NO politics PLEASE!

Absolutely! We MUST stay inside our fantasy sports world. We must not venture out of the matrix!

I like it here in Pleasentville!
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Whitner's contract was much larger than Bethea, and Brown signed for $3.5 mil so they should get at least a 6th for Brown

Yeah very well could be a 6th for Brown. 6 or 7 and Dixon is probably a 6 or 7th. Yeah Whitner's contract is 7 mil bigger but I don't see it being that big of a factor. It's not like we are going to get a 3rd or 4th for him because we didn't bring in a replacement. My guess stands at 6/7 and a 6/7. We could bring back Osgood as well which might factor into the equation and take away one of those late round picks.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 23, 2014 at 6:14 PM ]
We have turned a comp pick thread into Obama when he has little to do with football and is more of a politician so I referenced the politician that recommended Roger Goodell to the NFL owners. They for whatever reason took his recommendation and now we have Goodell whether you like him or not. Are you sticking up for Obama? I don't know Obama that well and I don't know what he has done for or against football. What he has or hasn't done at his real job will have to speak for itself. Besides he has a couple years left and someone else will be running the show!

I had no idea that Goodell was recommended to the owners by our ex prez, that's all I was really asking. Sorry if I came off as a dick .
4th round
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
I had no idea that Goodell was recommended to the owners by our ex prez, that's all I was really asking. Sorry if I came off as a dick .

I took no offense but I questioned the relevance of a politician that has little to do with the game and referenced one that actually made an impact though what little it may have been. As you might gather I don't care too much for politicians though I vote anyway.
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:30 PM ]

Thanks Obama.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Thanks Obama.
For some reason every time I am upset with Goodell I think of W and say why did you recommend this hack!

Originally posted by Gore_21:
I think we deserve a 3rd for Goldson and a 4th for Walker in a perfect world but obviously won't happen. Our guys got some big priced contracts and we lost a lot more than we gained although our FA's preformed a lot better than most thought they would.

And speculating on next year right now looks like Bethea will cancel out Whitner and Cook will cancel out Manningham. Leaves Dixon and Brown and I'd say we get 1-2 7s.
The way it works is that players cancel out identical or less contracts first.
So as long as we don't sign as many or more than we let go of, we'll get a comp pick for Whitner.

So far we've lost
Whitner 4.2M this year (7M avg)
Brown 3.5M
Dixon 1M this year (1.1M avg)
Manningham 795k

We've signed:
Bethea 3M this year (5.2M avg)
Cook 730k

Not sure if the salary works be contract average or by 1st year. I'll use average.
Bethea cancels out Brown.
Cook Cancels out Manningham (since we didnt lose anyone that makes less).

There's also a chance that Cook and/or Manningham don't qualify. I'm not sure if those are above the threshold.

As of right now, we get comp picks for Whitner and Dixon.
Dixon is a 7th. Whitner a 4th.
We sign anyone else for less than Whitner, and they would cancel out Dixon. We sign 2 more guys, and the first cancels out Dixon, the 2nd cancels out Whitner (regardless of him having a lower contract or not).

We need Goodwin or McCoy to sign with some other team for decent contracts (more than $1M) so we can squeeze another 7th rd comp pick. haha

Now if the salary that is computed is only 1st year salary (and not average). Then we'd get comp picks from losing Brown and Whitner and Bethea would cancel out Dixon. Brown is a 6th rd pick.

So we're likely looking at a 4th and a 7th. Maybe a 4th and a 6th. Lets not sign any other qualified FA and screw this up.
How well (or how much) a player plays also affects the pick, but no idea how much.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
taniaganguli Tania Ganguli
Good morning from NFL meetings. For those who've been asking, we should know who gets compensatory picks later today. #Texans
about a minute ago
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I wish the league would hurry up and announce them already.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

The 49ers' compensatory pick is at the end of the third round, No. 100 overall.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
taniaganguli Tania Ganguli
Good morning from NFL meetings. For those who've been asking, we should know who gets compensatory picks later today. #Texans
about a minute ago

Originally posted by Hopper:
I wish the league would hurry up and announce them already.

Yeah. When exactly is later today going to get here.
Share 49ersWebzone