LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 351 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers 2014 Mock Draft V5.0

We think alike WRT taking a DL stud in the 1st rd. I agree, Tuitt's shown a lot more consistency. If Baalke goes CB, Fuller's the guy, IMHO. His "X" factor could be his almost 33" arms, which TB has championed on a number of occasions. He just loves longer armed players.

Can't argue w/Moncrief...he has size, speed and tremendous athleticism. I've been juggling he and Matthews in my mind...really like both guys. Love Matthews' production and his work ethic arguably comes from cousin Jerry Rice. I'd be stoked with either guy.

WRT Reynolds, he doesn't have the long arms...not sure how Baalke would feel about that.

Don't really get the C/OG Urschel...I'm sure he's a good player, but I question the need for yet another interior OL. Kilgore's most likely going to be manning C...he should be ready to take it over. Even with Iupati arguably playing his last season in SF, between Looney, Seymour, Snyder and now Martin, there's plenty of depth already. Think I'd take best S or ILB on the board instead.

No problem w/Dowling or Aikens, really, although Walt's another guy without longer arms. Do like his size, though. A possible option for him could be Pierre Desir, who does have 33 " arms.

Jackson's got the name and size...like the idea of another thumper a la Takeo Spikes.

Rest of the picks are fine.

Overall, I like your mock a lot...nice job.
I really like Tuitt and I understand what your doing here going BPA since we've put a good dent into our team needs in FA. I just don't want to select a player that makes us 5-6 deep at a position when we can go out and get a deep threat at WR or another good CB in the first round. If we end up with Tuitt we will have Justin, Ray Mac, TJE, Dobbs and Tank at the DE spot. Great for the future when JS retires but I prefer to improve spots that are more of a weakness since we're so close to the SB.
Love it!

The wars are won in the trenches and getting Tuitt is a present and future move. Getting him an opportunity to be mentored by Justin and Ray Mac will only improve on his talent. He also has a big time work ethic that will fit well w/us.

Getting 2 WR is "THE" way to go. Montcrief is my draft crush and IMO will be a super talent as time goes by. If we get Ellington, I hope & pray the coaches use him.

Not as big on Reynolds as you are BUT there's no denying his potential. I'm in the camp of a taller guy like Baptiste.

Aikens is going to be a STEAL!

With such a stacked roster like ours I think it's super-smart to get high caliber player like Long & Millard and stash them on IR.

Thanks for the work.
Originally posted by Butter:
Well done Phoenix! This seems like the deal draft. With the current FA signings, I think this ismthe right approach. I love the deal of a potential replacememt to McDonald.

A few factors that I think should be considered.

1) Likely trades up. The Niners have limited roster spots. I can easily see them moving up from 30, and then also moving up a second time to the top of the 2nd.

2) 2015 picks, I completely agree. Rally good chance Baalke moves some mid-late round picks for future picks.

3) Injured players, also agree theyll continue to stash injured players

I don't know that I see the need for trading up in this draft, I certainly mentioned as a possibility with the 49ers potentially moving up for Evans, but considering that there's 2 picks that would be on the IR for 2014, I think the 49ers have the room for these various roster additions, I can also see some guys getting cut off the roster...IE......Dobbs getting the boot in favor of Tuitt...etc.

I do expect a lot of trading down and acquiring of picks in 2015 as well, because this draft is so stacked at the key positions of CB and WR, the 49ers will have their choice of some top quality players but may not be married to anyone particular player.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Just don't see an OL, especially a C in the first 4 rounds. Love Moncrief. Still think there is a trade up the first to nab Kyle Fuller.

I think Urschel is a good talent, a versatile guy who would essentially take over Kilgore's role as the backup center and guard. I don't expect Adam Snyder to remain on this roster, I think with the additions of Jonathan Martin, Seymour as well as Looney being there, we'll see a great competition for the backup spots on the offensive line. Urschel is a guy with experience playing in a pro-style system, extremely bright, very hard-working, I see him as a good fit on this roster.
Originally posted by Murphys1:
I like this draft. I could see us trading away a few picks this year, though, for future picks.

If you read the disclaimer at the top, I'm making that assumption, the picks aren't necessarily in their exact same spots, I just didn't want to go through and write that the 49ers traded down 4 spots here or 6 spots there or 7 spots there....etc, I expect them to stay within range of their original picks but to acquire more in 2015 overall. For a guy like Reynolds, I'm basically assuming that the 49ers trade down somewhere to the 5th or 6th pick of the 3rd round before taking him.

Once free agency settles down and we get closer to the draft, I'll put one together that includes a series of potential trades...etc.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
We think alike WRT taking a DL stud in the 1st rd. I agree, Tuitt's shown a lot more consistency. If Baalke goes CB, Fuller's the guy, IMHO. His "X" factor could be his almost 33" arms, which TB has championed on a number of occasions. He just loves longer armed players.

Can't argue w/Moncrief...he has size, speed and tremendous athleticism. I've been juggling he and Matthews in my mind...really like both guys. Love Matthews' production and his work ethic arguably comes from cousin Jerry Rice. I'd be stoked with either guy.

WRT Reynolds, he doesn't have the long arms...not sure how Baalke would feel about that.

Don't really get the C/OG Urschel...I'm sure he's a good player, but I question the need for yet another interior OL. Kilgore's most likely going to be manning C...he should be ready to take it over. Even with Iupati arguably playing his last season in SF, between Looney, Seymour, Snyder and now Martin, there's plenty of depth already. Think I'd take best S or ILB on the board instead.

No problem w/Dowling or Aikens, really, although Walt's another guy without longer arms. Do like his size, though. A possible option for him could be Pierre Desir, who does have 33 " arms.

Jackson's got the name and size...like the idea of another thumper a la Takeo Spikes.

Rest of the picks are fine.

Overall, I like your mock a lot...nice job.

You need to stop with this length thing bro, you're killing me. Other than on the DL, the 49ers have been drafting plenty of guys who don't have "long arms". Culliver is a CB, has 31 inch arms, didn't stop Baalke from drafting him. I think people are obsessing over these measurements far more than the 49ers scouts are. Length is nice, talent is a lot better. If you can get length and talent, great, but I think some have unrealistic expectations over what priorities the 49ers have when it comes to drafting players.

If you think the 49ers are crossing guys off their draft board because they have 32 inch and not 33 inch arms, you might be disappointed come draft day.
Did you sneak into my home and look at my draft spreadsheets? Quit being a pick thief.

In all seriousness, I certainly feel Tuitt is a possibility come draft day -- it'd be one of those "how the chips fall" type of things, and of course we all know that is what makes the 49ers first pick so hard to predict.

I'm a big fan of Reynolds and think he is vastly underrated. Terrific closing speed and consistently displays tight coverage for the most part. Physical tackler too. I am not sure he goes quite that early, but I like the player.

Don't see much else to critique on, although I'll say I don't believe Dowling goes until the later parts of the draft. Questions surround his character and personality, and his physical development (he's lanky to begin with) is another concern (often got run over in the open field -- not something you want to see at level of competition WKU faced). Bad general tackling form caps off the list of concerns which, when all put together, should put Dowling in the last tier of defenders going between the 5th-7th round. Likely too much to work on to warrant a pick any earlier.

Anyways, other than that, looks solid.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Did you sneak into my home and look at my draft spreadsheets? Quit being a pick thief.

In all seriousness, I certainly feel Tuitt is a possibility come draft day -- it'd be one of those "how the chips fall" type of things, and of course we all know that is what makes the 49ers first pick so hard to predict.

I'm a big fan of Reynolds and think he is vastly underrated. Terrific closing speed and consistently displays tight coverage for the most part. Physical tackler too. I am not sure he goes quite that early, but I like the player.

Don't see much else to critique on, although I'll say I don't believe Dowling goes until the later parts of the draft. Questions surround his character and personality, and his physical development (he's lanky to begin with) is another concern (often got run over in the open field -- not something you want to see at level of competition WKU faced). Bad general tackling form caps off the list of concerns which, when all put together, should put Dowling in the last tier of defenders going between the 5th-7th round. Likely too much to work on to warrant a pick any earlier.

Anyways, other than that, looks solid.

I actually considered Brock Vereen, I like him as a prospect but I struggled mightily to get past his little girl hands.
Love all the picks except Tuitt, not because I don't like the guy, but because I think your instinct is right...we're going to trade up and get either Evans, Marqise Lee or Brandin Cooks (depending on who Harbaugh likes best). The only question I have is about McKinnon. Do you think an athlete like that will last until the end of the draft? I read in a few places that he's moved into the late 3rd/4th round as a RB prospect, so I'm not sure about that one.

Nice mock. I am surprised you went with Reynolds over Joyner in the 2nd (i might be wrong, but thought you were a big Joyner guy). Joyner could also feasibly slide into the SS role in a year or two when Bethea leaves.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Love all the picks except Tuitt, not because I don't like the guy, but because I think your instinct is right...we're going to trade up and get either Evans, Marqise Lee or Brandin Cooks (depending on who Harbaugh likes best). The only question I have is about McKinnon. Do you think an athlete like that will last until the end of the draft? I read in a few places that he's moved into the late 3rd/4th round as a RB prospect, so I'm not sure about that one.

what do you think about trading back into the early 2nd, selecting Moncrief/Joyner/Fuller, and picking up a 3rd or 2nd next year?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

what do you think about trading back into the early 2nd, selecting Moncrief/Joyner/Fuller, and picking up a 3rd or 2nd next year?

I personally love the idea, but I highly doubt that's what we'll do. I think well target someone in the 15-22 range and go up to get him.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I really like Tuitt and I understand what your doing here going BPA since we've put a good dent into our team needs in FA. I just don't want to select a player that makes us 5-6 deep at a position when we can go out and get a deep threat at WR or another good CB in the first round. If we end up with Tuitt we will have Justin, Ray Mac, TJE, Dobbs and Tank at the DE spot. Great for the future when JS retires but I prefer to improve spots that are more of a weakness since we're so close to the SB.

I think tuitt would be a great pick. mac and Justin both have a lot of miles on them, I can see where injuries to them could truly derail our SB train. Plus I think great pass rushing 3-4 defensive ends are much harder to find in the later rounds. lastly, the key to a great d is a fierce pass rush, although mac has come up big at times, I think tuitt might actually be a better pass rusher. so the worry would be if tuitt could be as stout against the run as mac. Bottom line, with injuries and just plain competition would not be surprised if tuitt played his way on to the field in a far greater role than now imagined.
Hate every mock that doesn't have us trading up.
Share 49ersWebzone