LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

Telvin Smith Florida St. LB/SS

I don't think there's a linebacker in this draft who's a good fit as a safety. If you want a big safety I say go Craig Loston or Ahmad Dixon.

My favorite option to fill the safety spot in the event of Whitner's departure is Telvin Smith's teammate Terrence Brooks or Jaylen Watkins. Neither is getting a ton of hype, but both lack any red flags in coverage, tackling or run support. I'd love to get Lammarcus Joyner as the starting safety, but I have a feeling he's gonna be gone before the 56th pick.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I don't think there's a linebacker in this draft who's a good fit as a safety. If you want a big safety I say go Craig Loston or Ahmad Dixon.

My favorite option to fill the safety spot in the event of Whitner's departure is Telvin Smith's teammate Terrence Brooks or Jaylen Watkins. Neither is getting a ton of hype, but both lack any red flags in coverage, tackling or run support. I'd love to get Lammarcus Joyner as the starting safety, but I have a feeling he's gonna be gone before the 56th pick.

Agreed...either Brooks (who was more of a free safety at FSU) or Joyner would be much better options than Telvin Smith.
A "Pro-Roverback", both Chancellor and this kid. Carrols dfense in Seattle has Chancellor playing a Roverback type role(think USC), whereas, our scheme calls for a guy to do much more. I'd like this kid if we ran a 4-3, and had him play like Lee Woodall (same size and position in college), but not for our defense (esp. with no Whitner).
[ Edited by toppdogg32 on Mar 9, 2014 at 6:51 PM ]
I would not draft him to play safety. There are some other convertible prospects out there, and one in particular that I REALLY like for us to possibly take a stab at in the middle rounds is Kevin Pierre-Louis (don't be surprised to see him in an upcoming mock), if nothing else for great S depth.

Pierre-Louis, at 6-0 232 is widely seen as a great transition candidate from OLB to SS. He certainly has the athleticism. The measurables were off the charts at the combine. A 4.51 forty at his size, 28 reps on the bench, a 10-07 broad jump, 39 inch vertical, shuttle of 4.02, and 3-cone of 6.92 (those agility numbers in particular at his size are outstanding).

Again, would not be surprised at all to see the Niners go after Pierre-Louis. Telvin Smith though? No.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I would not draft him to play safety. There are some other convertible prospects out there, and one in particular that I REALLY like for us to possibly take a stab at in the middle rounds is Kevin Pierre-Louis (don't be surprised to see him in an upcoming mock), if nothing else for great S depth.

Pierre-Louis, at 6-0 232 is widely seen as a great transition candidate from OLB to SS. He certainly has the athleticism. The measurables were off the charts at the combine. A 4.51 forty at his size, 28 reps on the bench, a 10-07 broad jump, 39 inch vertical, shuttle of 4.02, and 3-cone of 6.92 (those agility numbers in particular at his size are outstanding).

Again, would not be surprised at all to see the Niners go after Pierre-Louis. Telvin Smith though? No.

I wonder what his balls skills are like though. He seems to have the athleticism to make a transition like that, but can he make plays with the ball in the air over WRs/TEs who have spent their careers learning how to high-point the ball? That's more rhetorical of course because I don't know if anyone knows the answer to that right now. IMO, that's where most of these LB-to-safety conversion players fail.

Seems to me the best approach is to take one of these oversized CBs (McGill, SJB, Desir, Aikens, Keon Lyn, etc.) and convert them to safety.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I wonder what his balls skills are like though. He seems to have the athleticism to make a transition like that, but can he make plays with the ball in the air over WRs/TEs who have spent their careers learning how to high-point the ball? That's more rhetorical of course because I don't know if anyone knows the answer to that right now. IMO, that's where most of these LB-to-safety conversion players fail.

Seems to me the best approach is to take one of these oversized CBs (McGill, SJB, Desir, Aikens, Keon Lyn, etc.) and convert them to safety.

It's up to the coaches to decide if he's worth the development. With the measurables, it's hard to not consider it, and word is he's widely considered a great fit to convert to SS.

I think of all the above names you listed, McGill is going to have to go to safety -- and even then, I'm not sure how well he would do. The guy has the height/weight/speed, but he just isn't a good, smooth football player. Based on what I've seen, McGill would get roasted at CB in the NFL. I give him a 6th round grade at the position.

I like Desir though. Keon Lyn is also a name I am keeping my eyes on. I want to see how he's recovered from his injury. He was the best cover corner on that Syracuse team and he could be a nice target late. He was in my very first mock, actually.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 10, 2014 at 12:32 PM ]
It's up to the coaches to decide if he's worth the development. With the measurables, it's hard to not consider it, and word is he's widely considered a great fit to convert to SS.

I think of all the above names you listed, McGill is going to have to go to safety -- and even then, I'm not sure how well he would do. The guy has the height/weight/speed, but he just isn't a good, smooth football player. Based on what I've seen, McGill would get roasted at CB in the NFL. I give him a 6th round grade at the position.

I like Desir though. Keon Lyn is also a name I am keeping my eyes on. I want to see how he's recovered from his injury. He was the best cover corner on that Syracuse team and he could be a nice target late. He was in my very first mock, actually.

This. Intriguing prospect with nice size for the position.
Share 49ersWebzone