LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 169 users in the forums

My 49er First Round: Four Facts

My 49er First Round

#1 We will resign both Whitner and Boldin. Originally, I would have been opposed to bringing back both. Why? We have far too many more important players nearing extensions and that money should be protected for Kaepernick, Aldon, Miller, and Crabtree (I would include Iupati here, but he is as good as gone at the end of next season). However, considering the salary cap is now $133 million, we now have the money to resign these two players.

#2 In the upcoming draft, our need is greater at corner than at wide receiver. Consider our passing game: Boldin, Crabtree, Patton, Vernon, and what should be an improved McDonald. Those are five above average to good options. Now, I do not want to minimize this need – Crabtree will probably not be back following this year, so it will be important to pick up a young receiver early in the draft, but corner comes first. Brock will be on one side. At best and in the right scheme, he is an A- or B+ cover man. Rogers will be cut. Culliver is coming off an injury and even before that he was only B or B- corner. Behind those two we have the possibility of Cox, Wright, or who knows. The possibility of getting an A+ corner in the draft will make beating Green Bay, Arizona, Carolina, and Seattle a whole lot easier than without.

#3 We will trade down in the first. We have a history of doing this. We have a history of getting a good deal for it (see 2013 Dallas). We have the draft capital to do this.

#4 Of our twelve picks, we will use nine of them. Six of our picks will make the team. Why waste an extra six picks just to see them be snapped up by other teams when we release them in the last round of cuts. Side note: I find all mock drafts with the 49ers using all twelve picks senseless. Just isn't realistic; Baalke is a trading machine. So, how will we get rid of our picks: by trading up and trading back to 2015.

Therefore, I believe the 49ers will have two corners that they will target.

A. Darqueze Dennard. Dennard plays physically and could line up opposite Brock thus making a fantastic starting two corners. Plays the run well; plays man coverage better than any other corner in the draft; has great recovery speed; hard hitter; at the combine even showed great speed; what's not to like? He would be the primary player the 49ers would target. In my scenario, any trade up into the top ten would be giving up far too much. So, if Dennard is still on the board, we trade our #30, #61, and our 4th to the Giants for their #12.

B. Jason Verrett. If Dennard is not on the board by #12, then we change focus and try to move up to get Verrett. The positives: speed, smarts, fluid hips, change of direction, has a knack for breaking up plays. His game tape is better than anyone else's. The Negative (note there is one): size. Before I hear about, "We would use our first round pick on a nickel corner!?" let me explain. How many times did our opponents line up in three wide – a lot. Just watch the Packers and Seahawks games again. Verrett could shut down Harvin or Tate, Cobb or Nelson, Steve Smith, or if it came to it Welker. That would have enormous value. So, if Dennard is gone at #12 and Verrett is still on the board at #23, we trade our #30, #97, and a 7th for Kansas City's #23.

What to do in the second, we draft a wide receiver by moving up – possibly giving up our 2nd and one of our 3rds to get into the early to middle of the 2nd round and pick up one of the following: Jordan Matthews, Brandon Cooks or Odell Beckham (if they slipped), or Jarvis Landry.
We will not trade up all the way to #12 for Dennard. If Gilbert is there, we may make that trade, but 12 is way too high for Dennard after a terrible combine where he looked very stiff in drills and had very short arms. We will not have to trade up for Landry if we want him in the 2nd unless he has a much better pro day.

Verett is a little undersized, but Dennard is not a big corner and has very short arms. Verett is clearly more explosive which will help on jump balls if he's matched up with bigger receivers. Verett can be a better slot corner than Dennard can be a corner in any role in my opinion (short arms, bad change of direction is not a good combo for a corner). The two players are a lot closer than you are giving them credit for and I'd prefer Verett for the 49ers since we need a slot corner.

Dennard: 5'11 199 lbs 30 1/4" arms 9" hands, 4.51 40 time, looked like he had very bad hips in position drills, did not do vertical, 3 cone, or shuttle (probably with good reason)
Verett: 5'9 189 lbs 30 5/8" arms 9 1/4" hands, 4.38 40 time, 39" vertical, 6.69 3 cone, 4.00 shuttle, looked way more athletic and flexible in drills
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 1, 2014 at 4:08 PM ]
Originally posted by dunham83:
My 49er First Round

#1 We will resign both Whitner and Boldin. Originally, I would have been opposed to bringing back both. Why? We have far too many more important players nearing extensions and that money should be protected for Kaepernick, Aldon, Miller, and Crabtree (I would include Iupati here, but he is as good as gone at the end of next season). However, considering the salary cap is now $133 million, we now have the money to resign these two players.

#2 In the upcoming draft, our need is greater at corner than at wide receiver. Consider our passing game: Boldin, Crabtree, Patton, Vernon, and what should be an improved McDonald. Those are five above average to good options. Now, I do not want to minimize this need – Crabtree will probably not be back following this year, so it will be important to pick up a young receiver early in the draft, but corner comes first. Brock will be on one side. At best and in the right scheme, he is an A- or B+ cover man. Rogers will be cut. Culliver is coming off an injury and even before that he was only B or B- corner. Behind those two we have the possibility of Cox, Wright, or who knows. The possibility of getting an A+ corner in the draft will make beating Green Bay, Arizona, Carolina, and Seattle a whole lot easier than without.

#3 We will trade down in the first. We have a history of doing this. We have a history of getting a good deal for it (see 2013 Dallas). We have the draft capital to do this.

#4 Of our twelve picks, we will use nine of them. Six of our picks will make the team. Why waste an extra six picks just to see them be snapped up by other teams when we release them in the last round of cuts. Side note: I find all mock drafts with the 49ers using all twelve picks senseless. Just isn't realistic; Baalke is a trading machine. So, how will we get rid of our picks: by trading up and trading back to 2015.

Therefore, I believe the 49ers will have two corners that they will target.

A. Darqueze Dennard. Dennard plays physically and could line up opposite Brock thus making a fantastic starting two corners. Plays the run well; plays man coverage better than any other corner in the draft; has great recovery speed; hard hitter; at the combine even showed great speed; what's not to like? He would be the primary player the 49ers would target. In my scenario, any trade up into the top ten would be giving up far too much. So, if Dennard is still on the board, we trade our #30, #61, and our 4th to the Giants for their #12.

B. Jason Verrett. If Dennard is not on the board by #12, then we change focus and try to move up to get Verrett. The positives: speed, smarts, fluid hips, change of direction, has a knack for breaking up plays. His game tape is better than anyone else's. The Negative (note there is one): size. Before I hear about, "We would use our first round pick on a nickel corner!?" let me explain. How many times did our opponents line up in three wide – a lot. Just watch the Packers and Seahawks games again. Verrett could shut down Harvin or Tate, Cobb or Nelson, Steve Smith, or if it came to it Welker. That would have enormous value. So, if Dennard is gone at #12 and Verrett is still on the board at #23, we trade our #30, #97, and a 7th for Kansas City's #23.

What to do in the second, we draft a wide receiver by moving up – possibly giving up our 2nd and one of our 3rds to get into the early to middle of the 2nd round and pick up one of the following: Jordan Matthews, Brandon Cooks or Odell Beckham (if they slipped), or Jarvis Landry.
#30 - 620pts #61 - 292pts #125 - 47pts = 959 #12 Pick 1,200 pts
#30 - 620pts #97 - 112pts #218 - 4.2pts = 736.2 #23 Pick 760 pts

These are based off of last years draft pick value chart for the first trade the Niners would also have to surrender the #97 pick at least

For the second trade you are in the ball park value wise

Chart usedhttp://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php
The 49ers may not move up in the draft. With the depth of this draft they may stand pat or even possibly move back in round 1 for a 2015 pick.

Players that could be available at #30 include Verrett and Mathews and possibly Cooks. They may even target the DL and go for CB's and WR's in rounds 2 and 3 becuase there are so many quality players at those positions. I would love to see the 49ers get Verrett in rd 1 and Donte Moncrief in rd 2 plus maybe a safety or OL or DL then get another WR and CB in rd 3 and still have our comp pick and 4th rd pick to get a couple more premium players.
I don't think you know the definition of fact. But nice mock off-season
I like your first post. I almost feel this is a draft to have about 6 second and third rounders to take the place eventually of many of our guys that will become overpriced very soon. I don't wan the niners to get FLACCO'd like the Ravens did. So, trade back from first to second, then with our middle rounders, trade into the 3rd. Tons of really good players in the top 100 players.
First, don't you mean trade up in the first round?

Second, the Niners had 13 picks last year and used 11. I would hesitate to predict them trading away a ton of picks. Murphys1 has got it right. This is one of the deepest drafts in recent memory and the Niners can use those 2nd and 3rd picks to offset potentials losses like Whitner, Iupati, etc.
#1 I'm starting to think you're right about this one, heard on NFL Radio that the cap could be 150+M in a couple years, that means we probably can fit Kaep, Crabs, Aldon (maybe even Iupati) into our future salary structure. Boldin is a short term signing so maybe we can bring back Whitner, my personal hope is that he doesn't get the contract he wants in FA, signs here for 1 year, we draft a safety in the 2nd round and replace him in 2015.

#2 Absolutely dead on

#3 Why trade down? Yes this is a deep draft but we need impact players especially in the DB, I think we're more likely to trade up in the 1st to get our guy (and I'm hoping we somehow land Justin Gilbert)

#4 Probably right, again, I think we trade up a few times and maybe trade out some for more picks next year.
Originally posted by kronik:
I don't think you know the definition of fact. But nice mock off-season
This
Fact: something that has actually occurred or has proven to be the case
Opinion: Judgment, viewpoint or statement not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Fact: something that has actually occurred or has proven to be the case
Opinion: Judgment, viewpoint or statement not necessarily based on fact or knowledge

Fact: This was his first post ever
a WR is a great need. so is CB. Both can happen in the second rd. deep class
  • pfizz
Jason Verrett plz. would be great to have someone to match up with the smaller, speedy receivers like percy harvin and tavon austin.
[ Edited by pfizz on Mar 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone