LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 356 users in the forums

2014 class for Safeties is Weak!

Safeties in this draft are slim pickings except for Clinton-Dix (even he has off the field questions)
everyone seems to have warts of some kind. 49ers are best to resign Whitner and look for his replacement next year. However there are a few that I would draft at the right slots
Deone Bucannon-2nd pick of 2nd round or in the 3rd round
Ed Reynolds-late 3rd round or with the 4th round pick
Dontae Johnson-7th round
I guess they also can convert someone to safety since this is a deep deep class for CBs
Anton Exum- 6th or 7th round (He has played some safety already)
Ross Cockrell-7th round (needs to improve run support ability)
Walt Aikens-5th or 6th round (Natural corner but maybe an excellent Safety)

Would you consider drafting Telvin Smith OLB if available in the 3rd round and change him into a safety
He is 6-3 but appears maxed out at 218 lbs, He does have 4.5 speed...I wouldn't do it, it is too risky for such a high pick that would be required

Clarification: I am not saying these player will be available in those rounds, I would just consider it if they were available in those particular slots
[ Edited by Orlando49erfan on Mar 1, 2014 at 7:08 AM ]
Telvin smith has stated he dosent want to play saftey
[ Edited by Tslope90 on Mar 1, 2014 at 7:21 AM ]
I like the idea of Exum late if the resign Whitner. He could develop behind Whitner and play ST. If he doesnt work out, no big lose.
I couldn't agree more we should have the safety position filled before the draft as it is nothing compared to last years talented class. With that said, if we don't resign hitner, FA is loaded at safety. If we don't fill it before the draft, I'm pretty sure Pryor will be our first pick after a slight trade up.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Butter:
I like the idea of Exum late if the resign Whitner. He could develop behind Whitner and play ST. If he doesnt work out, no big lose.

This. Exum has the ability to make the transition. If he falters all we do is draft a higher Safety the year we lose Whitner or sign another veteran.

This class isn't necessary weak, it just likes variety, most of them are one trick ponies in the run game and not tested enough in coverage. Still Ha'Sean (I refuse to call him Ha Ha, who the f**k names themselves Ha Ha?) and Pryor are the most complete safeties in the class. Ward has the highest ceiling, especially in terms of coverage but is he worth the highish selection that is athleticism and versatility may warrant? Hard to tell...
What's wrong with Calvin Pryor?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

I would say him and Clinton-Dix are about as complete as you could hope for. I'd say that they may even be the SS version of the Vaccaro / Eric Reid first round selections last year.

Matt Elam is a worse Safety than CD or Pryor for sure.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:

I would say him and Clinton-Dix are about as complete as you could hope for. I'd say that they may even be the SS version of the Vaccaro / Eric Reid first round selections last year.

Matt Elam is a worse Safety than CD or Pryor for sure.

There isn't anything wrong with Pryor I just feel it would require a 1st round pick to get him and there is a lot better value out there for the 49ers
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Actually if you think about it, if you wanna draft a replacement for Whitner this draft is pretty deep, IMO.

Dion Bailey - 2013, 61 tackles 5 INT's

Craig Loston - 2013, 57 tackles 3 INT's

My draft crush, Terrance Brooks, hard hitting Safety with good range - 2013, 56 tackles 2 INT's

Kenny Ladler - 2013, 91 tackles 5 INT's

Sean Parker - 2013, 67 tackles 4 INT's

Jimmie Ward - 2013, 95 tackles 7 INT's

A lot of options IMO, but if I had to pick, it would be Terrance Brooks obviously. IMO, he's a lot like Whitner, only I think he's better at covering tje deep ball.
This is why I wanted Earl Wolff at tha end of tha 4th round last yr...I wouldnt mind J.Ward but doubt he'll last til pick #56 ...I also like T.Brooks I think we can get him at pick #94.....

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Actually if you think about it, if you wanna draft a replacement for Whitner this draft is pretty deep, IMO.

My draft crush, Terrance Brooks, hard hitting Safety with good range - 2013, 56 tackles 2 INT's

A lot of options IMO, but if I had to pick, it would be Terrance Brooks obviously. IMO, he's a lot like Whitner, only I think he's better at covering tje deep ball.

No, Deone Bucannon on your list?

78 solo tackles (tied for 11th in the country) and three forced fumbles plus six interceptions
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

No, Deone Bucannon on your list?

78 solo tackles (tied for 11th in the country) and three forced fumbles plus six interceptions

OP already listed Deone Bucannon, which is also the reason I didn't list Ed Reynolds.
I agree this safety class leaves much to be desired. None of 'em measure up to Eric Reid IMO.
I like Craig Loston a lot. Would be very happy with him at 62 or 77.
Am I the only one here with a thang for Jimmie Ward.....A great modern day safety IMO
Share 49ersWebzone