There are 198 users in the forums

Phillip Gaines - CB - Rice University

Originally posted by Orlando49erfan:
If Rogers doesn't come back and Tarell Brown leaves via F/A, with Morris being almost a ST player exclusively, there is huge need for a large infusion of new talent in the secondary when it comes to the CBs

I am not convinced Morris will be exclusively an ST player. He did so well at that last year that they elevated him to the active roster and kept him there, but it wasn't just ST ability that kept him on the team. He was one of the best UDFA prospects out there that I feel had a lot of promise as far as his development. We have developed countless undrafted free agents and I believe he has the talent to be the next one to turn into a contributor.

As far as Gaines, again, it's hard to pinpoint where he'll go but the size and arm length make him a risky player to sit longer on. There's certainly the chance he could fall to the 4th due to the deep CB class and the areas of his game that need development, but barring any unknown medical flags, you are playing roulette in the draft when you sit on a long-armed, 6-0 corner who runs a 4.3 and had flashes of brilliance during his season.
Morris had the nice fumble recovery in the NFC title game. LMJ had coughed it. I can't wait to see Morris at CB during the preseason. If we had kept Marcus Cooper we would know as little about his ability to play CB at this point as we do Morris's. Cooper probably would have been used exclusively on special teams as was Morris. I'm Hoping that Morris develops into a legit NFL CB prospect.
[ Edited by domingo on Mar 3, 2014 at 9:56 AM ]
Originally posted by domingo:
Morris had the nice fumble recovery in the NFC title game. LMJ had coughed it. I can't wait to see Morris at CB during the preseason. If we had kept Marcus Cooper we would know as little about his ability to play CB at this point as we do Morris's. Cooper probably would have been used exclusively on special teams as was Morris. I'm Hoping that Morris develops into a legit NFL CB prospect.

The speculation is deep with this one. But that's ok, I can do that too...

We don't know if Nnamdi's failures would've opened the door for Cooper instead of Brock, or once Brock took over, of Cooper would've been the next man up instead of the team signing Eric Wright. Or when both Rogers and Wright were hurt, if the team would've turned to Cooper instead of re-signing Cox.

Clearly you like Morris for some reason and that's cool...but the chances of a draft pick like Cooper (or incoming rookies from this draft class) getting more opportunities than a UDFA like Morris are just NFL realities.
I really like this guy, but he seriously needs to hit the weight room IMO. He looks a little soft.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I really like this guy, but he seriously needs to hit the weight room IMO. He looks a little soft.

True. He needs to get to 200lbs but give him an NFL training camp and he'll be ready for the show.
I like this kid a lot. Huge upside.
Originally posted by footballfreak49:
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

True. He needs to get to 200lbs but give him an NFL training camp and he'll be ready for the show.

Would love it if he was a niner. But a niner needs to be physical and tackle well. Hope he is pumping iron right now as we speak
It's a small knock, but yeah... he does look a bit too lean. As is normal, them younglings will thicken out as they mature and utilize pro weight room routines.
Some sites are already showing him as a 2nd rounder...bad news for the 49ers his name is out there already
The 49ers may not get a chance at him
Originally posted by Orlando49erfan:
Some sites are already showing him as a 2nd rounder...bad news for the 49ers his name is out there already
The 49ers may not get a chance at him

With the CB class being what it is (THICK), I expect him to be there for us in the late 2nd... but even if not, there are other CB options we should be happy with there too.

• buck
  • Veteran
Over the last two years, he had 31 passes defended--4 picks and 27 passes defended. That is dang good.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
With the CB class being what it is (THICK), I expect him to be there for us in the late 2nd... but even if not, there are other CB options we should be happy with there too.

Walter Football did a mock draft yesterday that had Gaines going in the 5th. No way he's available that late...I've lost all faith in that website.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php
Originally posted by footballfreak49:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Walter Football did a mock draft yesterday that had Gaines going in the 5th. No way he's available that late...I've lost all faith in that website.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php
I am familiar with WF, yes... They often do have some real head-scratchers.. many sites do. I won't sit here and say that there is no way he doesn't fall that far... but it does seem highly unlikely to me.
Share 49ersWebzone