LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Who would you rather the 49ers draft in the 1st round? Big WR or Speed WR?

Who would you rather the 49ers draft in the 1st round? Big WR or Speed WR?

Has to be both.
Originally posted by fan49:
i dont think any receiver slower than a 4.40 will change or help the offense at all. we need help this year and a big receiver will just sit on the bench all season behind crabs and boldin period... mathews runs what a 4.45?? he will sit behind boldin and crabs this year. first round pick needs to start not learn

Matthews is a straight footballer
Dude is legit. Went up against the best defenders and came out on top of the SEC in Yards and Catches
Speed no matter the size but the guys that impressed me were Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Martavious Bryant, Brandin Cooks. I would take either one of these guys in the early.
Moncrief...why settle for speed OR size when you can get both?
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Matthews is a straight footballer
Dude is legit. Went up against the best defenders and came out on top of the SEC in Yards and Catches

This is so true! His speed, size and productivity are really first rate. Compared to his legendary relative his 4.4 40 is pretty darn good. J Rice was in the 4.6 range...before electronic timing improved consistency of results.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 24, 2014 at 5:45 AM ]
I like Evens. I think he can fight for the ball both deep and in the red zone, where the speed advantage gets somewhat nullified when the field is shorter. According to this article, it would take a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to trade up to get him. http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=66783

Let's say the 49ers target Evans, who would be a great fit for them. They will likely get up to 10-12 range to get a chance for him. If he is available at 12 and the New York Giants are willing to trade down, the 49ers could potentially be interested.

What would it cost to go from No. 30 to No. 12? It would be less than what it cost Atlanta to go from No. 27 to No. 6 to take receiver Julio Jones in a deal with Cleveland. This is what the Falcons sent the Browns' first, second and fourth-round picks in 2011 and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Moncrief...why settle for speed OR size when you can get both?

This.
Neither. Our need at WR isn't that big that we need to draft one in the 1st. . . . . . . . . But if I were forced to pick I'd say a big WR.
Moncrief gives you both...size and speed. Slam dunk.
Obviously at 30, we aren't going to get that rare big and fast athlete that is also a good football player.

I think the best fit would be someone that is fast, but plays big for his size. I'm ok with a guy that is less than 6' tall, but he has to be aggressive and attack the ball. We didn't get that with AJ Jenkins. You don't have to be big to compete with physical DBs, but you have to be tough. I'm thinking a Steve Smith type of player.

Anybody know of a prospect that fits that mold?
[ Edited by blm7754 on Feb 24, 2014 at 9:45 AM ]

Originally posted by blm7754:
Obviously at 30, we aren't going to get that rare big and fast athlete that is also a good football player.

I think the best fit would be someone that is fast, but plays big for his size. I'm ok with a guy that is less than 6' tall, but he has to be aggressive and attack the ball. We didn't get that with AJ Jenkins. You don't have to be big to compete with physical DBs, but you have to be tough. I'm thinking a Steve Smith type of player.

Anybody know of a prospect that fits that mold?

Brandin Cooks?
Share 49ersWebzone