There are 205 users in the forums

Bashaud Breeland is just like the Jeffersons, moving on up.

Going up in every single ranking. Still somewhat raw but physical skills are there, can play press coverage well. Can play man or zone, footwork is up there with a guy like Gilbert, had he stayed in school for a year, had a good season, he'd be a likely 1st rounder next draft, as it is, he's gone from mid 4th round range to mid 2nd round status, meaning in reality he'd be about a 3rd round pick but a lot of people are expecting him to tear it up at the Combine. He's not super tall(6'0") but has pretty ridiculous length for his size, great at breaking up passes, plays very tough and tenaciously. If you watch him play, he's got some wiggle too, a little Merton Hanks in his game.

Clemson's Bashaud Breeland is another cornerback to add to this year's crop of longer prospects who have caught my eye recently on tape. Breeland is listed at 6-0 and 195 pounds (we won't know official measurables until the combine later this month) and appears to have extremely long arms on tape. The underclassman is an easy mover for his size with above-average fluidity and change of direction skills. He displays strong eyes and instincts to anticipate and gets an early break on the ball. More important, Breeland has the length, range and overall ball skills to compete with bigger receivers downfield, something he flashed in the Florida State game matched up with Kelvin Benjamin. Breeland will gamble and get caught flat-footed on occasion and still has room for improvement in terms of breaking down in the open field to secure tackles. However, he is aggressive player with physical tools that project well to the next level. If he tests well at the combine later this month, he has a chance to work his way into the second-round range.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl-draft/post?id=2982

Breeland is a long defensive back that is a good cover guy. At a combine, he would get behind a little off the line, but his closing speed may be his best trait. He really closes on the ball well and after being behind the receiver. He has long arms, a rangy body, great closing speed, has good instincts, and he really plays under control.

Have him going to the Saints in the 4th round.

( scrambles to re-evaluate)
  • pd24
  • Veteran
If he has long arms, we are probably looking at him for sure.
My only criticism of him is that when he does get beat, he can get real handsy and doesn't turn well to locate the ball. I believe that's something that can be taught, but I don't know for sure. Great skill-set though and will definitely go in the 2nd if he runs well next week.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
My only criticism of him is that when he does get beat, he can get real handsy and doesn't turn well to locate the ball. I believe that's something that can be taught, but I don't know for sure. Great skill-set though and will definitely go in the 2nd if he runs well next week.

Culli..{cough}...ver...{cough} ....
I like him a lot...every Clemson game I have watched he seemed to be there best player in the secondary and was always around the ball..
to me, this draft just has much better prospects in the 2nd round. At positions of need too, like WR, C, S
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Feb 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
to me, this draft just has much better prospects in the 2nd round. At positions of need too, like WR, C, S

Originally posted by pd24:
If he has long arms, we are probably looking at him for sure.

He looks like he has have Morris Claiborne type arm length, if that's the case, he'll definitely move up.
Good looking prospect if he run well he will fly up the boards!!!! 2nd Round!!!

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Agreed, not really top heavy or heavy in mid round 1 but from 20 ish to say 50 or so seems like there is a lot of depth and not a lot of drop off. Not a fan of this SS class yet but there it is loaded with CB's and WR's and that's a good thing for us. Anyways, the depth leads me to believe we could trade back 5-10 spots from 30 and pick up a pick for next year and still have a lot of options. Could also move up, use our late 3 and get ourselves an extra 2nd rounder or move up from our late 2nds to early 2nd. As for Breeland haven't looked at yet so I'll come back and check him out later.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Man I hoped he would fly under the radar a little longer. At least till the combine. Now that the secret is out.
Was Clemson´s and among the ACC´s leaders in passes defended, fast, very aggressive tackler against the run, lot of upside.
Attitude and scheme wise fits 49ers to a teeth. 14 pass def, 4 int, 56 tackles, 2 sacks in 2013. Leaves college as a junior cause he has a daughter and must provide for her so you know he will work is a** off.
Finally got around to watching some of him. Definitely could be a 49ers pick. Like you guys said plays with attitude and physicality. His flexibility and change of direction seemed good. Looked a little like a smaller, not quite as good (yet) Culliver. All I can say is we picked a great year to need a CB and WR. Rounds 1-3 are loaded for both positions. Very likely we go WR or CB in rounds 2 and/or 3.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Finally got around to watching some of him. Definitely could be a 49ers pick. Like you guys said plays with attitude and physicality. His flexibility and change of direction seemed good. Looked a little like a smaller, not quite good (yet) Culliver. All I can say is we picked a great year to need a CB and WR. Rounds 1-3 are loaded for both positions. Very likely we go WR or CB in rounds 2 and/or 3.

He checked in at 5'11" and 197, so good height/build heading into the NFL.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Finally got around to watching some of him. Definitely could be a 49ers pick. Like you guys said plays with attitude and physicality. His flexibility and change of direction seemed good. Looked a little like a smaller, not quite good (yet) Culliver. All I can say is we picked a great year to need a CB and WR. Rounds 1-3 are loaded for both positions. Very likely we go WR or CB in rounds 2 and/or 3.

He checked in at 5'11" and 197, so good height/build heading into the NFL.
Arm length?
Share 49ersWebzone