LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

2014 Draft a NT

Last season the 9ers had to rely on Jerod-Eddie at NT when their primary guys were injured. I really think they need to finally bite the bullet and draft a legit NT. This would also allow Jerod-Eddie to focus on DE.

I dont think they'll move up for Nix, but there are several optionw this year after him.

My favorite target is Justin Ellis. Many sites have him going in the 4-5. I think he'll move up during the combine. Hes surprisingly nimble for a man his size. He should look good in shorts and drills.

At times he gets tremendous push collapsing the pocket. I was surprised that he was not always double teamed, and was often handled by one olineman, but I think if he started out as the 3rd NT, hed move up pretty quickly.
I would have like a traditional NT about 330lbs but the 49ers have not gone that direction. Maybe Dial at 318lbs can step up and assume the role.
TJE played nose?
Originally posted by lucky_49:
TJE played nose?

After Williams was injured, Dorsey missed some games. When you have to face Lynch, it seemsmlike having a big dude who can free up the LB would be helpful.
I would luv for us to draft Tuitt also he can play anywhere on our line...Alot of our D-line are FA after tha 2015 season so how great would it be to have Tank N Tuitt ready to take over N bull rush tha NFL ..
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I would luv for us to draft Tuitt also he can play anywhere on our line...Alot of our D-line are FA after tha 2015 season so how great would it be to have Tank N Tuitt ready to take over N bull rush tha NFL ..

I was thinking the same thing, but TJE is the prototypical size for DE. The Niners have many DE, but few NT. Id much rather add some beef in the middle and use the players we have on the edge.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

I was thinking the same thing, but TJE is the prototypical size for DE. The Niners have many DE, but few NT. Id much rather add some beef in the middle and use the players we have on the edge.

With Tuitt size Im sure he can handle NT N Im not against draftin both Tuitt N Ellis ...if Tuitt fallz to #30 IMO itz s no brainer ....
Don't need one, Dorsey and Williams is good. Agree with the above though that if Tuitt was there I'm all for it, he can play anywhere, him and Tank for the future is scary with Aldon, Brooks and Lemon........DAAAYYYYMMMNN
The 49ers play a true NT less than 50% of the snaps and already have Dorsey (who had a great year) and Ian Williams (who was starting over Dorsey b4 he got hurt) plus we have Q.Dial. Zero need for a NT.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Don't need one, Dorsey and Williams is good. Agree with the above though that if Tuitt was there I'm all for it, he can play anywhere, him and Tank for the future is scary with Aldon, Brooks and Lemon........DAAAYYYYMMMNN

Dorsey, Williams and Dial give us plenty of depth and we have 6'3", 303 Mike Purcell on the PS. If we draft a NT it will be sometime in the 7th and purely for training camp/development purposes.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 11, 2014 at 9:33 PM ]

Beau Allen, DT, Wisconsin Height: 6-3. Weight: 325. Projected 40 Time: 5.39. Projected Round (2014): 4-6.
2/8/14: Wisconsin got a good season out of Allen as he was a tough run-defender at the point of attack. Allen had 20 tackles with two tackles for a loss and 1.5 sacks. He could be a nose tackle in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense in the NFL.

8/10/13: Allen broke into the starting lineup as a junior and was a solid run-stuffer for the Badgers. He had 37 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss, 2.5 sacks and two passes defended. Allen chipped in 22 tackles, 5.5 tackles for a loss and four sacks in 2011. He may be best in the NFL as a nose tackle who is mainly used for run defense.

Has a motor and has played DT and Nose.
TJE played nose?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Dorsey, Williams and Dial give us plenty of depth and we have 6'3", 303 Mike Purcell on the PS. If we draft a NT it will be sometime in the 7th and purely for training camp/development purposes.

If the Niners have a chance to upgrade their 3rd NT, itd be crazy not to do it. Williams and Dorsey are ok, but they are not Pro Bowlers. The 9ers run defense often wore down late in games. Between their injury issues at NT and their current depth at DE, I think a true NT is far more vital than DE.

Dial is 6'6" and showed me nothing that says hes better than all NT in this draft.
Mister Cobble in the 7th, I'm holding firm on that. Here he is apparently planning on eating Teddy Bridgewater.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 11, 2014 at 9:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Butter:
TJE played nose?

If the Niners have a chance to upgrade their 3rd NT, itd be crazy not to do it. Williams and Dorsey are ok, but they are not Pro Bowlers. The 9ers run defense often wore down late in games. Between their injury issues at NT and their current depth at DE, I think a true NT is far more vital than DE.

Our run defense wore down because our offense ran the 30th fewest plays in the league, putting tremendous pressure on our front seven. With that, our rush defense was still 4th in the league which is amazing. Knowing Williams and Dial will very likely be back healthy, they'll get all the reps behind Dorsey (who played really well for us). Though I agree you always want to upgrade that role, we don't actually know if a healthy Williams and Dial are already perfect upgrades. If the team ends up picking a NT in the early-to-mid rounds, we'll know how they feel about their depth there. I personally don't see them doing that though.
Share 49ersWebzone