LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

has the webzone population made a major shift in drafting policy

seems like during the season i heard alot of b***hin and moaning about baalke wasting 2 picks on players who could not contribute right away in carradine and lattimore...now every mock i see here has niners taking 2 3 or even 4 players who will likely start their niners career on ir or pup
Originally posted by hofer36:
seems like during the season i heard alot of b***hin and moaning about baalke wasting 2 picks on players who could not contribute right away in carradine and lattimore...now every mock i see here has niners taking 2 3 or even 4 players who will likely start their niners career on ir or pup

Who was b***hing? I generally don't take those people very seriously. If you get a top of the 1st round talent like Carradine and another 1st round talent in Lattimore later on in the draft, especially with Baalke having traded down and acquired a future 3rd round BEFORE selecting Carradine, I'm all for it. Talent like that is worth a year to wait for.

This year, the scenario is much different, you're talking about guys like Colvin, Long and Millard who would all be late round picks, yet they all were looked at as potential 2nd-3rd rounders so once again, the value is still sky high. I know some people have brought up a guy like Easley, he's definitely an interesting prospect, but mostly, the logic is, at least mine, is that the vast majority of late round picks will be out of the NFL within a year anyways, if you can take guys who are highly talented, had injury issues, let them recover, learn the system in their first year, that second year you've got an absurd amount of talent on your hands even if one or even two continue to have injury issues, you definitely come out ahead.

I guess the way I look at it is this, if I told you that you could get a 2nd round pick and 2 3rd rounds picks in 2015 for a late 6th rounder and 2 7th rounders this year, do you do it?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 6, 2014 at 8:08 AM ]
Most people loved the tank, and Lattimore pick and the Dial pick to a lesser extent.
The people who b***h are short minded and are not thinking long term. I might even go out on a limb that most of them are fair weather fans.
So they want to win and win now before they jump ship

I do honestly believe all the long time hardcore fans love the pick and stash strategy
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Most people loved the tank, and Lattimore pick and the Dial pick to a lesser extent.
The people who b***h are short minded and are not thinking long term. I might even go out on a limb that most of them are fair weather fans.
So they want to win and win now before they jump ship

I do honestly believe all the long time hardcore fans love the pick and stash strategy

I think its a sound strategy. I'd love to go back about 10 years and analyze a lot of these injury prone guys who drop way down the boards and still end up as quality contributing players, steals at the position they were drafted in.
Too early to tell b/c we have to wait and see what these guys can produce. I'm 50/50 on it. Nothing wrong with taking a guy and him being able to get healthy a year if you have the depth. But at the same time you would like them to get someone who could possibly contribute right away, and in the future. I really don't think that was the plan with Tank. I think they thought he would contribute this year. Just gotta wait and see how this works out.

Personally I am a big fan of the PUP redshirt on late round draft picks, especially if you consider what happened with Cooper last year. The 9ers can not keep everybody and selecting late round draft picks that they can wait a year to see if they can help the team is a good idea for a roster well established.
Sure seems that way THIS YEAR but I believe there's a reason behind the thinking on Zoners part. Nonetheless I too think it's a way to go in the NFL. Get injured HIGH Quality players in later rounds and redshirt them. Let them observe and absorb their respective plays while being around PROVEN Vets whom know how to play in the league. Matter of fact I believe you will witness the rest of the NFL teams applying the same philosophy with their day 3 picks if they haven't already.

If we're sitting there around rounds 5-7 and we were unable to package those picks to move up then it's a sure bet that we should STRONGLY consider drafting players like Millard, Colvin, Easley, Long, and others. I mean what the heck. It's not like ALL the picks from round 5-7 make the TEAM. Most of them end up getting cut once end of August rolls around. And if they do make the cut then they're placed on Practice Squad only to picked off by Hyena's and Vultures.
I think it spawned at a time in the season when we had some injuries and the roster got a little thin. That talk disappeared really fast when we got healthy. I would have loved to have seen Lattimore this year of only for a few plays. This coming season could be really fun.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Who was b***hing? I generally don't take those people very seriously. If you get a top of the 1st round talent like Carradine and another 1st round talent in Lattimore later on in the draft, especially with Baalke having traded down and acquired a future 3rd round BEFORE selecting Carradine, I'm all for it. Talent like that is worth a year to wait for.

This year, the scenario is much different, you're talking about guys like Colvin, Long and Millard who would all be late round picks, yet they all were looked at as potential 2nd-3rd rounders so once again, the value is still sky high. I know some people have brought up a guy like Easley, he's definitely an interesting prospect, but mostly, the logic is, at least mine, is that the vast majority of late round picks will be out of the NFL within a year anyways, if you can take guys who are highly talented, had injury issues, let them recover, learn the system in their first year, that second year you've got an absurd amount of talent on your hands even if one or even two continue to have injury issues, you definitely come out ahead.

I guess the way I look at it is this, if I told you that you could get a 2nd round pick and 2 3rd rounds picks in 2015 for a late 6th rounder and 2 7th rounders this year, do you do it?

Also consider that Baalke would get a 5th and 2 6ths for those 3 picks, and that each of those players are at positions of need with future salary cap implications. Imagine in 2015 if Long was able to step in for Iupati because the 9ers our capped out from re-signing Kap, Crab, and Aldon. Instead of paying Iupati 6-9 million they have a 7th round salary on the books.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran

more like moaning about baalke spending an high pick on an already-maxed-out guy(tank) suited for 4-3 end and plugging his square body into the round whole of 3-4. latimore is a whatever pick. he's got some talent--albeit he's going to get lit up a lot in the nfl because he's easy to hit and he's a big target. and don't underestimate how crappy and injury prone his knees are.

also, tank better come back next training camp with a knee that is full-go 100%, or this pick will have some permanent bust attached to it.

Originally posted by xcfan:
more like moaning about baalke spending an high pick on an already-maxed-out guy(tank) suited for 4-3 end and plugging his square body into the round whole of 3-4. latimore is a whatever pick. he's got some talent--albeit he's going to get lit up a lot in the nfl because he's easy to hit and he's a big target. and don't underestimate how crappy and injury prone his knees are.

also, tank better come back next training camp with a knee that is full-go 100%, or this pick will have some permanent bust attached to it.

Lattimore is a role of the dice, training camp and pre-season will decide the issue. The health of Tank is still an issue, he started practicing with the team then stopped. I hope the team doesn't go the PUP route with their first 5 picks. Later picks is fine.
There's room for redshirting good players...I see both Carradine and Lattimore becoming studs for us. Dial, not so much, especially with how Dorsey and TJE played. After Seattle beat us in the NFCCG, I've been looking at quite a few mocks...one name I've seen several times is DT Aaron Donald, a stellar player from Pitt. Far as I know he's healthy, but could be a guy Baalke would go after if he's on the board, or even trade up to get if the price isn't too steep.

One name not mentioned a lot, but who I think's worthy of getting picked is CB Kyle Fuller from VA Tech. That school has produced a number of quality DB's over the years. He's got good size, decent speed and is a versatile player. I'd also love to see Baalke grab one of the big CB's, either Jean-Baptiste or McGill. Harbaugh would love to have more size in his secondary.

With Bowman's surgery this week, there's a decent chance he's not ready to play early next season. I have faith in Wilhoite, but it also seems like a good idea to draft someone like Shayne Skov. He's a beast and could be a future starter for us.

Assuming we re-sign Boldin, we still lack a burner to stretch the field...either Beckham or Cooks would fulfill that role, methinks.

If Whitner walks, I like Bucannon or Bailey to draft. Would love to see Baalke sign Josh Mccown (again, they let him go before), then draft Fales. QB's a bit thin now, as I don't expect them to re-sign McCoy.

Another position that could be redshirted is OL...I really see Marquardt becoming the swing OT, and maybe a starter at some point. Huge guy, very athletic. Also see Looney emerging at C...think he has a shot to become a real beast. The idea of redshirting is appealing when you have a deep roster like ours...but, definitely need to fill some positions for 2014.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Also consider that Baalke would get a 5th and 2 6ths for those 3 picks, and that each of those players are at positions of need with future salary cap implications. Imagine in 2015 if Long was able to step in for Iupati because the 9ers our capped out from re-signing Kap, Crab, and Aldon. Instead of paying Iupati 6-9 million they have a 7th round salary on the books.

This!!! Figuring future cap scenarios into draft strategy is very smart. Getting a high quality injured player who can heal and learn as a possible replacement for a player coming off his rookie contract saves money. Stockpiling draft choices brings the opportunity to accomplish a re stocking of the team and continues to keep the team in a favorable salary cap position.
The people that b***h just don't have a clue. They are entitled to their opinion but really have tunnel vision.
[ Edited by stonecold590 on Feb 6, 2014 at 4:49 PM ]
The Lattimore pick was a good pick. If Tank can play like a mid 1st rounder then he was worth it. Looking forward to seeing them in action this year.
Share 49ersWebzone