There are 170 users in the forums

Cooper 2014 Mock Draft 3.0

Originally posted by adrenaline:
I personally wouldn't franchise Whitner and draft a SS presumably to eventually start in the same year. Yes, Whitner can play another year and teach the younger backs but I think six million is too much. 49ers could get a vet for cheaper. Let the young guns play.

There's good depth in the free agency market for safeties, but I think getting Whitner for one more year for $6mil isn't that bad.. He was a leader on the defense this year and it also forces him to play in another contract year
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
They won't franchise Whitner...ties up almost $7M in cap space that's at a premium going into the off-season. As for the picks:

- Matthews will likely be an early pick...only way Baalke gets to him is to trade up, possible, but not likely.

- Like the Joyner pick, but agree Jean-Baptiste is the big CB to go after.

- Don't see Baalke drafting a C in 2nd rd. Besides, he's got Kilgore & Looney just waiting for their chances to take over at C. My money's on Looney. It'd make sense to draft a guy who can play OG/C, but for depth in later rds.

- Bailey's a good S, but I think Bucannon's better. He had eye-popping numbers and was very consistent. I'd hesitate to cut Dahl if Whitner walks.

- Like the Fales pick...not sure he lasts that long, but he could

- The rest are ok, but I'd anticipate Baalke using a number of these to trade up in earlier rds to get players he and Harbaugh really want.

I know a lot of ppl disagree with me on Whitner, but I think he is the leader of the secondary and it would be great to get him back in another contract year,

-Matthews will fall a bit due to lack of elite athleticism.

-SJB will be over drafted, whereas Joyner will be under drafted (I had Jean-Baptiste in my mid-season mock in like the 6th round before he started getting all this hype)

-IMO, Looney or Kilgore would have gotten a shot to start at center this year if coaches felt they were capable
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Jan 29, 2014 at 8:43 AM ]
5'8", 5'9" (listed) -- not gonna happen
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
They won't franchise Whitner...ties up almost $7M in cap space that's at a premium going into the off-season. As for the picks:

- Matthews will likely be an early pick...only way Baalke gets to him is to trade up, possible, but not likely.

- Like the Joyner pick, but agree Jean-Baptiste is the big CB to go after.

- Don't see Baalke drafting a C in 2nd rd. Besides, he's got Kilgore & Looney just waiting for their chances to take over at C. My money's on Looney. It'd make sense to draft a guy who can play OG/C, but for depth in later rds.

- Bailey's a good S, but I think Bucannon's better. He had eye-popping numbers and was very consistent. I'd hesitate to cut Dahl if Whitner walks.

- Like the Fales pick...not sure he lasts that long, but he could

- The rest are ok, but I'd anticipate Baalke using a number of these to trade up in earlier rds to get players he and Harbaugh really want.

I doubt we'd have to trade up for Matthews. He isn't even a sure fire first rounder (like Watkins, Evans, and Lee). Most of the mocks have him as a late first round selection (around our pick) or early second round. Could go either way.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Not bad. Whitner will be gone not franchised. We should draft a 2nd WR and we don't need 2 rookie QB's. This draft is deep in WR and CB talent and with all our picks we should take 2 of each. Wr's take time to develop anyway but it would give us much needed depth.

I don't even know if we draft 1 QB. We have our starter for years to come. If there is an injury do you want a rookie or a vet holding down the fort? Resign McCoy or let him go and sign a different vet to back up Kap. We probably only keep 2 on the roster and then add a 3rd to the practice squad.
He took 2 WRs, Matthews and Herron. And if Harbaugh isn't worried about 2 rookies being backups, he had Kaep and Tolzien backing up Alex his first year. If Harbaugh trusts a rookie, I'd be fine with it too. Rookies aren't the mistake prone lost QBs they were 10-15 years ago. Rookies now regularly come into the league and win right away.
There is a huge difference this year than Harbaugh's 1st year with 2 rookies backing up Alex Smith.

1. Kap was drafted early in the 2nd round and was Harbaugh's QB of the future not a 4th round pick you have no intention of ever starting. If the draft were held again today he would probably be the 1st or 2nd QB taken. Kap is our projected starter for years and years to come. A QB of the future has no place here at this time.

2. We were coming off a lot of losing years. Not trying to protect an expected run for the super bowl. We expect to challenge for the super bowl this year. Do we want to trust that to a rookie taken in the 4th round? Also in Kap's case we knew we could resign him but with the starting job locked up we won't be able to resign a rookie QB unless he isn't good enough to start when his contract is up.

3. We didn't have the depth we have now. We could keep 3 QB's. We only had 2 on the roster this year and next year's team will be even harder to make. We will probably keep 2 QB's an add another on the practice squad.

We could draft 1 QB to be our back up but how much better would a rookie be than a vet we could sign if at all? Why not use the 4th round pick for another saftey or a CB who could compete for a starting job or even a 3rd WR we could develop. Rookies backing up a long term vet is 1 thing because the rookie might become your future starter but our future at QB is pretty locked up. If that's how the 49ers want to go I am down with it but 2 QB's drafted makes no sense at all.

Logan Thomas is a pick that probably won't make the team, but is worth a shot at practice squad and in training camp with a 7th round pick.. Fales would be better than a vet for several reasons.. Cheaper, more coachable, and could potentially add more value if he impresses in pre-season and limited time.. Plus I think he will be a better back up THIS YEAR than McCoy or any other vet we can get on a cheap contract..

But will logan thomas make it to the practice squad? 2 of our 3 , 7th round picks this year ended up on other teams including a QB. If he is any good some other team will grab him and we wasted the pick. Better to hope he goes undrafted and then sign him to put on the practice squad. If a rookie can be the best option so be it but drafting players to put on the practice squad is a waste of picks.
Really good draft, I don't agree w/it all but looks solid.

Kilgore will be the starting C next year and Looney will be a back-up G and possibly a replacement for Iupati. They both know the offense VERY well. As far as "if they were good enough" they would have played stuff - I don't agree at all. Goodwin did NOT play bad at all and JH played him because he was better.

When Looney played G when Boone moved over to Tackle he got raves. These 2 guys will be big contributors next season and beyond.

I think Whitner really stepped up this season BUT it's all about $$$ so I think he'll move on.

Really like the Fales pick - good, smart move.
Originally posted by rapid4:
5'8", 5'9" (listed) -- not gonna happen

I think some of you guys put much more unnecessary emphasis and distinction on height than Baalke does.

Joyner is 5'8 but don't let his height fool you, the guy is a beast and as physical and aggressive as they come. He also has freakishly long arms and Baalke does tend to value that in defensive players.

Joyner can also add depth at both CB and S. Discounting him for his height would be a huge mistake IMO. A mistake many teams will make which could work in our favor as I'd love to choose him with one of our picks. If he was a few inches taller, 1st rounder no doubt.

Herron in the third round would be great value. Good hands, runs clean routes (as he exhibited in the Senior Bowl), and as "zoom" indicates, very quick and fast. And as we all know, speed is severely lacking in the receiving core.

Seriously Cooper, two of my favorite picks in your mock.
Joyner is better than Baptiste to me. Folks getting carried away wiht height. It's a plus but folks are talking as if just being tall makes you good.
Matthews pick i like though I would try to trade down and get him still then. I don't think that he will be gone this early.

Joyner may have the instincts and the talent overall but 5-8 is REALLY small.

Richburg in the 2nd is a reach, imo. Swanson ist the best Center in this draft.
However, I like that you adress the Center early.

Herron is a very nice pick.

Bailey I also like.

Honestly, I had to look up for Aikens. Seems to be a big reach here. McGill and Jean-Baptiste could be available as well.

I don't like Fales at all. Would pick Murray instead.

We are pretty much set at OLB and ILB, imho.
Powell's injury history is a simple horror. Would not touch him before the 7th round.

Long, Colvin, Thomas are good picks.
There is a huge difference this year than Harbaugh's 1st year with 2 rookies backing up Alex Smith.

1. Kap was drafted early in the 2nd round and was Harbaugh's QB of the future not a 4th round pick you have no intention of ever starting. If the draft were held again today he would probably be the 1st or 2nd QB taken. Kap is our projected starter for years and years to come. A QB of the future has no place here at this time.

2. We were coming off a lot of losing years. Not trying to protect an expected run for the super bowl. We expect to challenge for the super bowl this year. Do we want to trust that to a rookie taken in the 4th round? Also in Kap's case we knew we could resign him but with the starting job locked up we won't be able to resign a rookie QB unless he isn't good enough to start when his contract is up.

3. We didn't have the depth we have now. We could keep 3 QB's. We only had 2 on the roster this year and next year's team will be even harder to make. We will probably keep 2 QB's an add another on the practice squad.

We could draft 1 QB to be our back up but how much better would a rookie be than a vet we could sign if at all? Why not use the 4th round pick for another saftey or a CB who could compete for a starting job or even a 3rd WR we could develop. Rookies backing up a long term vet is 1 thing because the rookie might become your future starter but our future at QB is pretty locked up. If that's how the 49ers want to go I am down with it but 2 QB's drafted makes no sense at all.
We had Kaep, Colt, and Daniels than Kaep, Colt and Skelton, than Kaep, Colt and McBLT all year. 3 QBs all year.

And I'm not saying Kaep isn't the future, but you can find solid rookie QBs everywhere in the draft nowadays. Wilson was a 3rd, Fales a 3rd, Cousins a 4th, Glennon a 3rd, McGloin an UDFA, Keenum an UDFA. All started as very young QBs in the league and played well. With colleges going to more pass happy offenses, rookie struggles aren't as prevalent as it once was. Plus with Harbaugh's offense, we would never make a rookie qb throw it 30 times if he had to come in for Kaep. We have a potentially elite QB in Kaep and still don't throw it that much. I wouldn't be to worried with a rookie or 2 being our backup and spot starter, if need be. And Harbaugh has shown he's not to worried about it neither.

That is not a Kaep thread. Stop this crap please.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 29, 2014 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Joyner is better than Baptiste to me. Folks getting carried away wiht height. It's a plus but folks are talking as if just being tall makes you good.

Joyner is clearly better right now, but I don't think he has the long-term upside of SJB as a corner. To me, there's no right or wrong approach because nobody knows exactly how every pick will work out (says Mr. Obvious), but it comes down to preference: Lower floor or higher ceiling?
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Joyner is clearly better right now, but I don't think he has the long-term upside of SJB as a corner. To me, there's no right or wrong approach because nobody knows exactly how every pick will work out (says Mr. Obvious), but it comes down to preference: Lower floor or higher ceiling?
True; It just seems like folks are overrating the measureables to a certain extent based off how Sherman/s game ending play. Guess it's just more taller prospects this year
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

True; It just seems like folks are overrating the measureables to a certain extent based off how Sherman/s game ending play. Guess it's just more taller prospects this year

True, but Jean-Baptiste does have solid skills to work with along with his great size (breaks well on the ball, can be physical at the LOS and is great with the ball in the air). He more than held his own the last few years in the Big 10 and at the Senior Bowl where he was expected to be stiff/bulky.

In a perfect world, we'd end up with a combination of DBs...someone like Joyner who could come in immediately and add value AND a development CB with a lot of tools to work with but lacking refinement in technique.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

We had Kaep, Colt, and Daniels than Kaep, Colt and Skelton, than Kaep, Colt and McBLT all year. 3 QBs all year.

And I'm not saying Kaep isn't the future, but you can find solid rookie QBs everywhere in the draft nowadays. Wilson was a 3rd, Fales a 3rd, Cousins a 4th, Glennon a 3rd, McGloin an UDFA, Keenum an UDFA. All started as very young QBs in the league and played well. With colleges going to more pass happy offenses, rookie struggles aren't as prevalent as it once was. Plus with Harbaugh's offense, we would never make a rookie qb throw it 30 times if he had to come in for Kaep. We have a potentially elite QB in Kaep and still don't throw it that much. I wouldn't be to worried with a rookie or 2 being our backup and spot starter, if need be. And Harbaugh has shown he's not to worried about it neither.

Those Qb's lasted about a week or so each and were cut and the last one was on the practice squad. We spent most of the season with 2 QB's and with our roster spots being so competative we probably won't keep a 3rd on the roster this coming season.

Have there been good QB's drafted in those rounds. Sure. Montana was a 3rd and Brady a 6th rounder. The guys you mentioned all played well but how many did you not mention that played poorly? It's a long list. Wasn't McCoy a 3rd rounder? Imagine we get a rookie McCoy in the draft. Hopefully if they go with a rookie they draft better but they didn't exactly nail it with the AJ Jenkins pick. I suppose they could resign McCoy or someones else, draft a rookie and then cut McCoy if the rookie looks good and keep him if the rookie disapoints. With a vet you have a much better idea of what you have. You have a lesser chance they will give the game away. Alex Smith had 1 TD and 11 picks as a rookie if I am not mistaken.

If they want to go with a rookie QB I am ok with that. I prey they draft a good one. Even if they do he will be gone when the contract is up. Hopefully we can trade him instead of just watching him walk but I heard rumblings about the Redskins shopping Cousins but have not seen it come about. From the looks of this draft there are going to be some very talented receivers and corners available in the 3rd and 4th rounds and I wouldn't mind them using the pick on 1 of them and they might become starters for us as well as adding depth and rotating in. If they want to go QB that's ok, I prey they draft well but I still can't see drafting a 2nd one. Roster spots are just too hard to come by. They most likely will keep our 3rd QB on the practice squad.
Share 49ersWebzone