LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

MadDog's 2014 NFL Draft Pre-Combine Big 100 Board

Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Thank you for the big 100. I think I ask you about this every year but maybe this year we will get it from you. Any plans on your evaluation board and any plans for your personal draft board after the combine? Any plans about your evaluation of what you think that the Niners will go for? Thanks for all of your input I think they are great.

Thanks. I always post my Best Available board, and this year will be no different. Proud to see my board in 2011 has produced Pro-Bowls from all of my top five: 1. AJ Green 2.Patrick Peterson 3. Von Miller 4. Marcel Dareus 5. JJ Watt.

Sorry for sidenote: JJ Watt was unstoppable last night. He completely humiliated Tyron Smith and abuse Jordan Gross and Joe Thomas. That was flat out. Two sacks, including a forced fumble, one or two deflections (I am forgetting), and caused two other sacks. Most dominant player in the game.

Will project what the Niners are interested in drafting. Would be surprised if they went offense. Just too many holes on defense, especially in the secondary. I think Reid is flexible to move to SS if needed. Maybe a DL as well. Age creeping up on Cowboy and McDonald (who has surprising held up physically in the NFL).

Thanks Maddog, I appreciate all of the info you share with us. I personally think that the Niner have holes all through their team. I don't think that the Oline is as healthy as we need. C, Guard, and a developing tacklle are important. WR is self evident. And I think that having a power back to support Lattimore will be essential. We have a lot of Dline but if a quality dlineman was available to the team they might take him. Never too much OLB and Willis is getting up in age and Bowman's injury make ILB an important issue to settle. Then we have Whitner, Rogers, and Brown likely to leave so we have a lot of backfield issues. So lots of things need to be done. So I would like your personal assessment of who and why we need specific people and I would like your assessment of who the Niners are most likely to take and why. Thanks again.

I think we are going secondary right off the bat, best player available, in my opinion, Reid has the versatility to move to SS if needed. Expect the team to take a really long look at Jimmie Ward with that 30th pick, Would be surprised at all is Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix on the board at 30. Calvin Pryor makes a lot of sense to me. Of course, the team could surprise and go DL. Stephon Tuitt has the experience playing in ND's 34 alignment. One player that intrigues me a ton is UCLA's Xavier Su'a-Filo. Could he transition to center? That would be a curve ball pick for sure.

The NFL is surely a league that means Not For Long. All teams have holes going into the draft, and the Niners, with wise decisions, could fill many of these holes with quality picks.

Much of our player personnel matters will be tied to free agency and the health of guys like Lattimore and Carradine.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Thank you for the big 100. I think I ask you about this every year but maybe this year we will get it from you. Any plans on your evaluation board and any plans for your personal draft board after the combine? Any plans about your evaluation of what you think that the Niners will go for? Thanks for all of your input I think they are great.

Thanks. I always post my Best Available board, and this year will be no different. Proud to see my board in 2011 has produced Pro-Bowls from all of my top five: 1. AJ Green 2.Patrick Peterson 3. Von Miller 4. Marcel Dareus 5. JJ Watt.

Sorry for sidenote: JJ Watt was unstoppable last night. He completely humiliated Tyron Smith and abuse Jordan Gross and Joe Thomas. That was flat out. Two sacks, including a forced fumble, one or two deflections (I am forgetting), and caused two other sacks. Most dominant player in the game.

Will project what the Niners are interested in drafting. Would be surprised if they went offense. Just too many holes on defense, especially in the secondary. I think Reid is flexible to move to SS if needed. Maybe a DL as well. Age creeping up on Cowboy and McDonald (who has surprising held up physically in the NFL).

Other than Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker every player in the top 11 picks has made the Pro Bowl from that draft. Pretty much everyone had those guys at the top.

True. It was, as I said at the time, the best draft in NFL history. Even guys like Quinn and J Houston were in that draft. I just think that at least four of my top five guys are headed to Canton. Green and Peterson have been ProBowlers in their first three years, Miller would have matched that, but was suspended too many games in 2013, and JJ Watt is JJWatt. The question is whether Dareus can continue to progress and become a perennial ProBowler.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Why so low on Davante Adams?

He picked up a third round grade from the advisory committee and I think that makes sense to me. Posted great numbers, inflated from FSU's system. Honestly, I think he is going to run a very mediocre time at the combine. Maybe 4.58. I don't see the extra gear

Other than Blaine Gabbert and Jake Locker every player in the top 11 picks has made the Pro Bowl from that draft. Pretty much everyone had those guys at the top.

True. It was, as I said at the time, the best draft in NFL history. Even guys like Quinn and J Houston were in that draft. I just think that at least four of my top five guys are headed to Canton. Green and Peterson have been ProBowlers in their first three years, Miller would have matched that, but was suspended too many games in 2013, and JJ Watt is JJWatt. The question is whether Dareus can continue to progress and become a perennial ProBowler.

Tried to find your best player rankings for 2011 but I dont see it. I do see last years though. You didnt have Eric Reid in your top 50 ? Pretty big whiff on that one.
What do you think of Martavius Bryant? He's one of the WRs that intrigues me a lot. He has length, speed, was often the first read in the red-zone and made some spectacular catches. He's also built like AJ and Justin Hunter, and from what I can see, moves similarly, also possessing incredible body control. What I like most about him, is that he seems under-valued due to being overshadowed by 2 other 1st round WRs while at Clemson. If he's on the board with our last pick in the 3rd, I would be very intrigued. My ideal scenario over-loads on 2nd/3rd round WRs with 3 of these guys: Bryant, Landry, Abbrederis, Adams and Matthews.

Tried to find your best player rankings for 2011 but I dont see it. I do see last years though. You didnt have Eric Reid in your top 50 ? Pretty big whiff on that one.

I was big on Reid as the best safety in the draft I have no idea why everyone was in love with Cyprien imo guy whiffed on tackles and Bucannon has the same problems in his game tape out of the safeties this year stay away 49ers.

Didn't grade him as anything more than a late second round. So far, so good for the team. We'll see if he continues to play well in 2014. Gonna hit and miss. It is all part of the process. Maybe he regresses and the guy I like better Jonathan Cyprien emerges as the better player. Maybe he distances himself from Cyprien. Very early on for all the rookies in 2013.

Looking forward to seeing Malik Jackson in the Super Bowl. Was a MadDog pick from the 2012 draft and has emerged as a major player for the team.

As for the best player for 2011, it was embedded in a thread to my recollection. Will attempt to find,
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
What do you think of Martavius Bryant? He's one of the WRs that intrigues me a lot. He has length, speed, was often the first read in the red-zone and made some spectacular catches. He's also built like AJ and Justin Hunter, and from what I can see, moves similarly, also possessing incredible body control. What I like most about him, is that he seems under-valued due to being overshadowed by 2 other 1st round WRs while at Clemson. If he's on the board with our last pick in the 3rd, I would be very intrigued. My ideal scenario over-loads on 2nd/3rd round WRs with 3 of these guys: Bryant, Landry, Abbrederis, Adams and Matthews.

Trying to project junior entry WRs at this stage is like witchcraft. So many variables over the next three months. Could go as early as second round, as late as the fifth. I think he is a fourth rounder. Tough to figure him out with so little playing time. Just a one year starter, behind Watkins and Hopkins. Very interesting prospect for sure. I am just skeptical at this point that he will show enough to crack the top 100.
Few questions MD.

Do we go after Qb? If so, when?
Ideas at WR?
Do we finally take the big NT this year?
Thoughts on the OL and DL?
Any chance we go after RB again ( for the millionth time in a row)?
I know James Wilder isn't on your top 100 board but have you got a chance to look at him yet?

WAs an FSU fan i was disappointed he didn't get many snaps. When he did he seemed to make the most of them and was a beast to bring down. He never goes down on the first hit and it takes a gang of men to bring him down. His balance seems to be unreal.

I just want to see what an outside fan sees.

Originally posted by jreff22:
Few questions MD.

Do we go after Qb? If so, when?
Ideas at WR?
Do we finally take the big NT this year?
Thoughts on the OL and DL?
Any chance we go after RB again ( for the millionth time in a row)?

Got to look at QB from 4th round on. The team does not appear to have a guy they can rely upon if CK gets injured. Keep an eye on Jeff Mathews of Cornell Or Keith Wenning of Ball State as a third day pick for the team.
The team will draft at least one WR. Probably two selections in the first four rounds: one who is pro-ready and one to develop.
Not sure we will go NT, but will surely pick a DL. Cowboy and McDonald both getting long in the tooth.
Not sure how they feel about Kilgore or Looney as a starter, but surely need to draft an interior lineman
As for RB, much depends on Lattimore's health and potential. We know the pre-ACL Lattimore, but don't know the post Lattimore. Look for a late rounder like Storm Johnson, Isaiah Crowell, David Fluellen. I like Johnson a lot as a day 3 pick
Originally posted by miked1978:
I know James Wilder isn't on your top 100 board but have you got a chance to look at him yet?

WAs an FSU fan i was disappointed he didn't get many snaps. When he did he seemed to make the most of them and was a beast to bring down. He never goes down on the first hit and it takes a gang of men to bring him down. His balance seems to be unreal.

I just want to see what an outside fan sees.

Lot of talent, but not a guy I want on my team. Simply doesnt get it on the football field, nor off the field. Did not capitalize on his opportunity, and was not going to be the primary ballcarrier at FSU in 2014 if he stayed, Is going to drop like a rock on draft weekend. Multiple arrests, bad company, too bad. Really liked his father. Maybe he can turn it around. I'd rather go with guys who bust it, because late rounders are going to be special teamers at first
MadDog49er, The guy I want playing free safety for the 49ers next season is Lamarcus Joyner from Florida St. The days of knocking receivers out is over. Joyner is built in the mold of Earl Thomas and can cover all over the field. He can run with slot receivers and also come up and hit you in the mouth in the run game.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
MadDog49er, The guy I want playing free safety for the 49ers next season is Lamarcus Joyner from Florida St. The days of knocking receivers out is over. Joyner is built in the mold of Earl Thomas and can cover all over the field. He can run with slot receivers and also come up and hit you in the mouth in the run game.

He is such a good player that I think he will make it in the NFL. However, when he comes in under 5'8", which is where he is listed right now, it simply limits what he can do. Expect him to be a terrific nickel corner in the NFL, covering slot guys like Welker and Amendola. He will end up at least two inches shorter than Earl Thomas, who is one of the smaller Safeties in the NFL. Call me a skeptic on his chances at safety in the NFL.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:

He is such a good player that I think he will make it in the NFL. However, when he comes in under 5'8", which is where he is listed right now, it simply limits what he can do. Expect him to be a terrific nickel corner in the NFL, covering slot guys like Welker and Amendola. He will end up at least two inches shorter than Earl Thomas, who is one of the smaller Safeties in the NFL. Call me a skeptic on his chances at safety in the NFL.
I can understand your concern but I've watched a ton of film on him and he plays/hits alot bigger then that. I can count on 1 hand how many jump balls have been thrown on Earl Thomas in 4 years. Scouts get caught up too many times with measurables/speed. Taylor Mays was a work out warrior but watch film on him and he couldn't cover a bank with a gun. Goldson/Whitner have all the measurables but time after time Julio Jones,Jacoby Jones and Doug Baldwin get behind them in the playoffs for big plays. I'll take the 5'8" Joyner all day in coverage while others will take Goldson/Whitner who give up big plays and 15 yard penalty's.
Share 49ersWebzone