There are 264 users in the forums

Brandin Cooks- WR, Oregon St.

Originally posted by cools:
Niners could also deal one of their players to help move up (Ian Williams, or one of the RB's)

I think they end up with Cooks or Beckham Jr. I be thrilled to have either one

Why the hell would we be trading a young and promising NT when Dorsey is signed for one more season?
Cooks will be the pick and i don't think we'll have to move up. other players will be moving up draft boards, like Aaron Donald and possibly DBs like Jason Verrett or Kyle Fuller. WRs are so talented this year that teams might be willing to wait
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Cooks will be the pick and i don't think we'll have to move up. other players will be moving up draft boards, like Aaron Donald and possibly DBs like Jason Verrett or Kyle Fuller. WRs are so talented this year that teams might be willing to wait

I'm really happy to see that my at the time irrational love affair on Kyle Fuller from last season has been validated. Would be awesome if we took him in the 2nd. Barring some freak trade up for Justin Gilbert, Fuller is the guy I want.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM ]
I think Cooks is the best WR in the entire draft, but I don't think he's the best fit for the Niners' offense. That would be Jordan Matthews IMO. Simply because the Niners run the ball so much, and they need WRs who are great blockers.

Although Donte Moncrief is close IMO. I've been drooling over him as a prospect since last offseason.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Feb 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:

I'm really happy to see that my at the time irrational love affair on Kyle Fuller from last season has been validated. Would be awesome if we took him in the 2nd. Barring some freak trade up for Justin Gilbert, Fuller is the guy I want.

i've been hearing his name a lot, especially from Mike Mayock. according to Mayock, Fuller is a 1st round talent and if he performs well tomorrow, he can be taken late in the 1st.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:

i've been hearing his name a lot, especially from Mike Mayock. according to Mayock, Fuller is a 1st round talent and if he performs well tomorrow, he can be taken late in the 1st.

Then even better because I've been saying for weeks that we should take a CB in the first, then WR and S in either order in the 2nd.
  • thl408
Does Cooks show a willingness to block in the run game?
Originally posted by thl408:

He's not a very good blocker. I don't know about willingness, but blocking is not something a Cooks fan would want to highlight. Not that I hold it against him; there's only so much you can do at 189 pounds w/ short arms.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Feb 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:

He's not a very good blocker. I don't know about willingness, but blocking is not something a Cooks fan would want to highlight. Not that I hold it against him; there's only so much you can do at 189 pounds w/ short arms.

Thanks for the reply. To me, if a skill player shows a willingness to run block, then he's already half way there towards becoming a decent blocker. Technique can be coached up, whereas tenacity and willingness to sacrifice the body is a part of the player's character. If the 49ers continue to be a run-first team, I hope the 49ers do hold any shortcomings with regards to run blocking, against the WR prospect. On multiple occasions, Kap showed his frustrations towards Kyle over piss poor run blocking.
Love Cooks...love Moncrief more.

Not really, that has been one of my complaints with him.....mostly disinterested blocker.
I'm going to start off by saying that yes I agree with most of you that blocking receivers are very important in our run-heavy offense and the decision would be easier if he were a good blocker. But I don't think this should affect his stock any. Smaller receivers w/wheels like this are in to open up the defense by running a man out of position. If he is even in on a run play he shouldn't even attempt locking up with a guy...he should be streaking down the field so if any of the secondary tries to ignore him to help with run support then we have the big play out of play action...hence the reason for having a burner on the field! If he has to actually block that far down field it would be a crack back block on a blind defender or ''setting a screen'' for whatever RB broke off the big run. So yeah give me this guy in the first and I would be happy!
[ Edited by MTninerfan on Feb 24, 2014 at 3:36 PM ]
Plus this guys grew up a 9er fan! If he becomes the star we dream he could be...he might give us the "hometown discount" and help us out for years to come!
Originally posted by MTninerfan:
I'm going to start off by saying that yes I agree with most of you that blocking receivers are very important in our run-heavy offense and the decision would be easier if he were a good blocker. But I don't think this should affect his stock any. Smaller receivers w/wheels like this are in to open up the defense by running a man out of position. If he is even in on a run play he shouldn't even attempt locking up with a guy...he should be streaking down the field so if any of the secondary tries to ignore him to help with run support then we have the big play out of play action...hence the reason for having a burner on the field! If he has to actually block that far down field it would be a crack back block on a blind defender or ''setting a screen'' for whatever RB broke off the big run. So yeah give me this guy in the first and I would be happy!

The runoff is a good point, if (big IF) he runs with the same purpose on run plays as he does on pass plays. Loafs on run plays do us no good. I haven't seen a lot of runoffs from him on run plays, so I don't know how seriously he takes his job there. A good runoff by a real threat can effectively block two guys for a couple seconds.
  • thl408
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by MTninerfan:

The runoff is a good point, if (big IF) he runs with the same purpose on run plays as he does on pass plays. Loafs on run plays do us no good. I haven't seen a lot of runoffs from him on run plays, so I don't know how seriously he takes his job there. A good runoff by a real threat can effectively block two guys for a couple seconds.

Good points. Runoffs are effective when the run goes away from that WR (other side of the field). A WR can't runoff a defender if the run is going to his side. I understand a WR's primary job is to run good routes and catch, but in this offense, there should be an added emphasis on whether he can block in the run game. This is what makes Boldin/Crabs the complete WRs that they are. It's not a deal breaker on whether a WR would be drafted or not by the 49ers, but it should be considered more so than a WR drafted by the Saints or Falcons (heavy pass first teams). Anyway, thanks for the info on Cooks. From what you guys are saying, it appears he's a below average blocker.
Share 49ersWebzone