LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

Jared Abbrederis WR Wisonsin

I haven't seen a thread for this guy who is currently flying under the radar but could really turn into a special player. He's listed at 6-2, 185lbs, and projected to run a 40 in the 4.4's. Very productive in college despite average QB play the last couple seasons. Nice speed with burst, ability to stretch the field, operate out of the slot, dual threat running ability. Also has very nice hands and doesn't show fear to go over the middle. Catches the ball at the highest point. He would be an awesome weapon to have on any offense. Whats even better is I believe he could be taken with our late second round pick (his draft stock will rise before the draft).

Seems like the kind of player that once he is making catches in the NFL 31 other teams scratch their heads and think "why did we talk ourselves out of picking him?"

Take a look!

My favorite WR prospect to watch. Phenomenal skill set:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/jared-abbrederis/
He really goes up and gets the ball. When the ball is in the air it's his. He's not as strong as Boldin. But he attacks the ball like Boldin but smaller and not as strong. He is a hands catcher who will go get the ball wherever it is. A little underrated IMO. He catches almost everything. You rarely see a drop with him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He really goes up and gets the ball. When the ball is in the air it's his. He's not as strong as Boldin. But he attacks the ball like Boldin but smaller and not as strong. He is a hands catcher who will go get the ball wherever it is. A little underrated IMO. He catches almost everything. You rarely see a drop with him.

Also he's a phenomenal route runner. Best I've seen in a long time. Underrated athlete, and has performed against the best. One more kicker... the guy uses his route running to get separation deep. He could be the deep threat we need, even without a blazing 4.3 40
i love him. as a receiver of course.
He made Roby and Ohio State look absolutely silly this season. Nothing spectacular about him, not very fast, not particularly strong, would be helpful if he bulked up a bit, but he's all about working hard, plays fearlessly, stays focused, mentally he's a Top 3 type talent, just a straight grinder. He's a former quarterback, very intelligent, knows how to find weak spots in a zone. Very cerebral player whose awareness and instincts make up for deficiencies in athletic ability.
I am biased because I am a Wisconsin fan, but I would love to have this kid on the Niners. He's got everything you need in a slot receiver: great hands, quickness, excellent route running ability, and more than enough speed.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He made Roby and Ohio State look absolutely silly this season. Nothing spectacular about him, not very fast, not particularly strong, would be helpful if he bulked up a bit, but he's all about working hard, plays fearlessly, stays focused, mentally he's a Top 3 type talent, just a straight grinder. He's a former quarterback, very intelligent, knows how to find weak spots in a zone. Very cerebral player whose awareness and instincts make up for deficiencies in athletic ability.
since when do YOU care about size and speed?
Originally posted by communist:
since when do YOU care about size and speed?

I don't, teams will. I do think he needs to add some bulk to his frame, he makes AJ Jenkins look swoll. My comparison for Abbrederis is Ricky Proehl, and not because they are both white guys either but because they are/were both scrappy, balls-to-the-wall hard worker types and all around pests. Proehl was a massive pest, don't remember many players inspiring the level of ire in me that Proehl did. He just kept working, working, busting his ass and he managed to always end up making big plays against the 49ers. He was the ideal #3 WR and I see Abbrederis in that sort of mold. He won't run by you, but if you slip in coverage just once, he's going to make you look stupid.

Did I mention how much Ricky Proehl annoyed me, particularly when he was with the Rams? They had Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt and if you somehow managed to shut both those guys down, you'd breath a sigh of relief and then Proehl would come along and light you up. Of course this jackass is now the Panthers WR's coach, a position he's perfectly suited for.

Abbrederis won't jump over you or run by you, he doesn't possess the same quickness as a Patton, but he runs almost sickeningly perfect routes and if the coverage isn't on point, he will beat you just like he beat Roby who's a lot faster but looked lost in the sauce trying to defend him. If you have a WR that's an absolute technician when it comes to running routes, he always has an advantage over the cornerback, no matter how good or fast that cornerback is, the WR knows exactly where he's going and if he's running excellent routes, he will get separation.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
I am biased because I am a Wisconsin fan, but I would love to have this kid on the Niners. He's got everything you need in a slot receiver: great hands, quickness, excellent route running ability, and more than enough speed.

could he competently handle an outside role? and has he?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't, teams will. I do think he needs to add some bulk to his frame, he makes AJ Jenkins look swoll. My comparison for Abbrederis is Ricky Proehl, and not because they are both white guys either but because they are/were both scrappy, balls-to-the-wall hard worker types and all around pests. Proehl was a massive pest, don't remember many players inspiring the level of ire in me that Proehl did. He just kept working, working, busting his ass and he managed to always end up making big plays against the 49ers. He was the ideal #3 WR and I see Abbrederis in that sort of mold. He won't run by you, but if you slip in coverage just once, he's going to make you look stupid.

Did I mention how much Ricky Proehl annoyed me, particularly when he was with the Rams? They had Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt and if you somehow managed to shut both those guys down, you'd breath a sigh of relief and then Proehl would come along and light you up. Of course this jackass is now the Panthers WR's coach, a position he's perfectly suited for.

Abbrederis won't jump over you or run by you, he doesn't possess the same quickness as a Patton, but he runs almost sickeningly perfect routes and if the coverage isn't on point, he will beat you just like he beat Roby who's a lot faster but looked lost in the sauce trying to defend him. If you have a WR that's an absolute technician when it comes to running routes, he always has an advantage over the cornerback, no matter how good or fast that cornerback is, the WR knows exactly where he's going and if he's running excellent routes, he will get separation.
sounds like a positive sarcasm to me.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
could he competently handle an outside role? and has he?

He needs to bulk up a bit more. But I think he could play on the outside or from the slot. He's a VERY good route runner and just an all-around team guy. He'll sacrifice his body if he has to, is fearless over the middle of the field, a hell of a run blocker who plays with bad intentions. I've seen him demolish people, completely knock them out of the play. Like I said before, in terms of how he plays, I see him as a VERY good #3 WR in the NFL, or a solid #2 WR.

He was a walk-on who has worked his butt off for everything he's gotten, no reason to expect that to change. One of those guys you absolutely love when he's on your team and annoys the crap out of you when he isn't.
Originally posted by communist:
sounds like a positive sarcasm to me.

I disliked Ricky Proehl, can't you tell? But a lot of those same factors that drove me nuts, I'd love to see on the 49ers. He was a big play guy that never stopped working, he was never a headliner, but the guy who would always be a threat, he never quit on routes, he always went after the ball with a vengeance, he'd throw some cheap shots when blocking and he just kept coming and coming at you all game along. I see Abbrederis as that same sort of player.

One thing I will say, had Harbaugh brought in Proehl instead of Morton as receivers coach, I think the receivers on this team, particularly some of the younger guys, would have shown a lot more improvement. He was always a player-coach, helping to tutor Torry Holt back in the day, as well as Steve Smith. Even Larry Centers, one of the better receiving RB's in recent times credited Proehl with having helped him improve as a pass-catcher.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM ]
i am.watching Football since '08.

I.WANT.HIM!!!
What Proehl doesn't have in terms of coaching years, he makes up for in playing experience. His 17 seasons included stints with six different teams. He played in four Super Bowls and won two.

He was on teams that enjoyed tremendous success and he was on teams stuck on the opposite end of the spectrum. "Over 17 years, you play for a lot of coaches and you play with a lot of players. You experience a lot of things – good and bad," Proehl said. "I've learned so many things from great players and great coaches, and that's what I can teach these guys."

There's a lot the Panthers wideouts can learn from him. Proehl, who played at 6-foot, 190 pounds, was a third-round draft pick by the Phoenix Cardinals. He wasn't blessed with elite size or speed, so he made his living by mastering other areas of the game and demonstrating his dependability in critical moments. "I wasn't 6-foot-4, 220-pounds running a 4.3 40 (yard dash)," Proehl said. "I had to be a good route runner. I had to be smart and know where the holes were in the coverages, if it was man or zone. I learned all of the (wide receiver) positions. I worked hard at it.

"And I went through tough times early in my career where we didn't win more than eight games. Then I end up going to four Super Bowls. I know what it takes to win. It's setting a standard that starts in practice. That's what we're going to do."

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Proehl-brings-new-energy-perspective-to-wide-receivers/af9d968c-7457-4b77-a205-27d33f51b26a
Share 49ersWebzone