Cut:
Rogers – CB; Baldwin – WR; Dahl – S

Reduce/Extend (lowering cap):
Davis – TE; Gore – RB; McDonald - DT/DE

Contract Extensions:
Kaepernick – QB; Kilgore – C/OG; Miller – FB

NFL Draft:

R1: Brandin Cooks – WR/KR – Oregon State
*Explosive receiver that will be our vertical threat for this offense.

R2: Kyle Fuller – CB – Virginia (via Chiefs)
*Great ball skill and speed, but needs to improve technique – coachable.

R2: Kelcy Quarles – DE/NT – South Carolina
*Oozes with so much potential. Penetrates the backfield. Knows how to handle double teams.

R3: Donte Moncrief – WR – Ole Miss (via Titans)
*So many WRs that Moncrief can drop here. The future Anquan Boldin for the 49ers.

(Trade 3rd and 5th to move up in the round)

R3: Anthony Harris – S – Virginia (via trade)
*Another Virginia defensive back, yes. A true playmaker on the field that will replace Whitner in a few years.

R3: Anthony Steen – OG/C - Alabama (comp)
*First round talent in a 5th round's body. Steen projects best as a center due to his 6-2 height. Great value pick here.

R4: Aaron Murray – QB – Georgia
*If Lattimore can last until the 4th round, Murray can as well. Projects as Kaepernick's backup.

R6: Crockett Gilmore – TE/DE – Colorado
*I could see him as a two way player on our team. Improved as a pass catcher, and knows how to block. Replaces Dobbs.

R7: Spencer Long – OG – Nebraska (via Colts)
*Potential replacement for Iupati in 2015. Injured, so he'll be on the NFI.

R7: Chaz Sutton – DE/OLB – South Carolina (via Panthers)
*Never realized his full potential in his senior year, but showed promise over the last two years. Cam Johnson type pick.

R7: Jimmy Legree – S/CB – South Carolina (via Saints)
*PS player. Depth.

R7: Keon Lyn – S/CB – Syracuse
*Another NFI guy that will compete for a spot in 2015.

Depth Chart –

QB: Kaepnerick/Murray*
RB: Gore/Hunter/James/Lattimore
FB: Miller
TE: Davis/McDonald/Celek/Gilmore*

WR: Crabtree/Patton
WR: Boldin/Moncrief*
WR: Cooks*

LT: Staley
LG: Iupati/Snyder
C: Kilgore/Steen*
RG: Boone/Looney
RT: Davis

LE: Smith/Carradine
NT: Dorsey/Williams
RE: McDonald/Quarles*

OLB: Smith/Skuta
ILB: Willis/Wilhoite
ILB: Bowman/Moody
OLB: Brooks/Lemonier/Sutton*

CB: Brock/Wright/Morris
CB: Culliver/Fuller*/Cox
FS: Reid/Spillman
SS: Whitner/Harris*/Ventrone

ST: Dawson, Lee, McDermott
[ Edited by GEEK on Jan 9, 2014 at 3:47 AM ]
Nice mock man! Not necessarily all the players I would have picked but overall I would be very happy if this came to be. My favorite thing about this mock is grabbing two WR's. This draft is so damn deep with premium WR talent it only makes sense to load up when the gettin is good. If we were able to get Moncrief in the 3rd round I might have a stroke. Dude is gonna be a straight up stud! Quarles is also an interesting prospect and it would be nice to add to our D-line.
After a pro bowl yr N what yr 2 of his new deal we ask brooks reduce really ???
Nice mock
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
After a pro bowl yr N what yr 2 of his new deal we ask brooks reduce really ???

No, we restructure. AB83 mentioned in his posts how we can provide salary cap relief by extending/restructuring a few players to help keep our blue chip players on the team - Kaepernick, etc. They still see the money, but the dollars shift to provide relief.
Very nice mock. Like the Arenas signing for the additional special teams value.
"Javier Arenas – CB/KR – Cardinals *Slot corner with special teams skills. Very fast corner that will replace Carlos Rogers on the roster"

Cardinals fans here hate this dumb motherf**ker, and I mean like Chilo Rachal level hate. Chiefs fans hated him even worse possibly before that. He's lousy in coverage and even worse on special teams, this is the same guy who continually tries to return kicks from the back of the endzone only to get buried at the 10 yard line with shocking regularity.

As a Chief.

"According to Pro Football Focus, Arenas was targeted 66 times on the season, allowing 43 receptions for 539 yards, four TDs, zero interceptions and six pass defenses. QB's throwing at Arenas enjoyed a QB rating of 110.6. Those numbers hardly cemented his role as a starter opposite Flowers."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 7, 2014 at 9:22 AM ]
Arenas as slot corner? Aw hell naw. Why is Kilgore getting an extension? I like the draft picks. Brock and Culliver as startign corners isn't ideal in my book. Especially being that we have no idea how Culliver will hold up. Tank and Manningham had set backs so it's possible he could too. Hopefully they could get a vet in free agency. I'm still not sure what Wright can do being he hasn't seen that much action.
I know I have said players will likely restructure, but I doubt Brooks does. His base salary will likely de-escalate down by about $1.6M anyway for not reaching 12 sacks. It would be around $2.4M, but he will see a $500,000 escalator for playing time.

The guys that make the most sense are, Vernon(Extended 3 or 4 more years), Willis(Extended 2 or 3 more years, can't happen till April though), McDonald(Could add on year or 2, with roster bonuses tied to gameday active roster), and Gore(add on 1-2 years, deserves it, let him get 10k yards, he has earned his keep, one of the best RBs in the NFL, 49ers history, and one of my top 10 49ers right now, and maybe of all time. I can't put Joe on there, I never saw him play, so don't pick on me, lol.

Other than that, it's realistic. Dahl, Baldwin, and Rogers are likely out, with Dahl being the most likely to stay. He is decent on STs.

Dawson, Boldin stay, I hope Whitner is back. Brown I hope so too, would ease the idea of drafting a 1st round CB, so we could draft a SS or WR in rd 1, safety would be Clinton-Dix, WR wise, trade up for Watkins or Lee, or sit still and get Robinson, Adams, or someone else who may come on in the process.
Oh duh, Brandin Cooks is defintely one of my favorite prospects in this draft class. He would be a great pick in early 2nd round, likely late 1st by May.

Gonna be interesting to see who they value more Brown or Whitner.
Did you cut Goodwin? What about Dial, Okoye, Osgood, and Manningham?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Did you cut Goodwin? What about Dial, Okoye, Osgood, and Manningham?

Goodwin is a free agent and doesn't appear to be likely a 49er next year.

Dial will be competing for a roster spot, but most likely will be a practice squat player or flat out cut. Osgood has done well on special teams, but minimal to no impact to the offense. And Manningham most likely won't be coming back to the 49ers in 2014 - per Matt Maiocco. Honestly, I think he returns to the Giants when Nicks leaves via Free Agency. Cruz, Randle, and Manningham is a nice trio.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Phoenix- I didn't realize that about Arenas. Thanks for posting that information. In that case, I think we'd resign Cox instead of signing Arenas. I just remember the highlight plays during his time in KC.

AB - I'll change Brooks to McDonald, but you get the point I was trying to make.

Lamont - Similar to the Boone signing for Kilgore. We could potentially get a good starting player under market value. He'd be a cheap extension.

I agree with your thoughts regarding our starting CB situation. That's why I picked three in the draft (2nd round and two 7th rounders) to secure the depth.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Phoenix- I didn't realize that about Arenas. Thanks for posting that information. In that case, I think we'd resign Cox instead of signing Arenas. I just remember the highlight plays during his time in KC.

AB - I'll change Brooks to McDonald, but you get the point I was trying to make.

Lamont - Similar to the Boone signing for Kilgore. We could potentially get a good starting player under market value. He'd be a cheap extension.

I agree with your thoughts regarding our starting CB situation. That's why I picked three in the draft (2nd round and two 7th rounders) to secure the depth.

I know buddy. McDonald makes sense to redo his deal. Brooks would of had he had a down year.
Share 49ersWebzone