LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 451 users in the forums

2014 Senior Bowl

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Ahh time for the draft. Does the zone have a love child yet for this draft??

Your mom

TURRON DAVENPORT ‏@TDavenport_BSN 23m
Jordan Matthews is the 1st WR to take the field. Doesn't surprise me. This guy asked for film on the DBs from the north roster

Already loved Matthews game, but little things like this make me want him as a 49er more and more. Kid wants to study opposing CBs to better himself in an All-Star game. Good love that he always wants to get better. He's also out practicing kick returns.
From all reports (which seem to fall in line with what I am seeing), the stars this week appear to be. Here is what I am seeing.
D. Ford- So explosive off the snap and has a great spin move
Ra'Shede Hageman- I've projected him as a top 15 pick, and he is moving close to the top 10, I believe, by the time the combine finishes. Just too athletic for interior guys to complete with. He is the best comparison athletically to JJ Watt since number 99 came out.
Aaron Donald- There is a reason why he won every major defensive award this year- he is flat out good. Smaller than hoped, but looks smarter, more instinctive that the guys he is facing.
Derek Carr- Huge arm. I've thought all along this would move him into consideration for the number 2 pick. Guys that can make every throw get a long look.
Zack Martin- Just a smooth OL. Good inside, good outside. Just seems calm in the midst of the storm.
Will Sutton- Blobbish, but the footwork is outstanding. Really quick off the snap.
Jordan Matthews- Looks great, looks prepared, looks sharp. Great physique, and a coachable spirit. The guy is a winner.
Jared Abbrederis- Talk about winner- Measurables are lacking, but he is a football player. Simply smarter than other guys on the field. Has Tom Brady Patriots all over him, with 100+ catches/year.
Chris Borland- Short-check;short arms-check; makes every play- check; just gets it done.
Aaron Colvin- Very good feet, and ability to close on WR makes him look terrific this week.
Jimmy Garappolo- Second best QB on the field this week. Looks so decisive and is crisp in all his movement. Some team is going to bypass this kid in the first, but take a long look at the top of the second round.
DeAndre Coleman- One of the players I was excited to watch this week. Has great measurables, and has looked solid this week. Can play a variety of schemes, which is going to help his value.
Will Clarke- Great height and length is going to help him at the next level. If he can add about 15 pound to that frame, could be a tough matchup for an OT in a 34 defense.
Kyle Van Noy- Special talent. Plug and play starter from Day One. Smart, smart, smart. Smooth. Probably can play in any system. Exceptional footwork.
Jake Mewhort- Seen him develop every year at OSU. I love the upside. Just a huge guy who carries his weight well. A smooth player who is vastly underrated. Thinking he is going to surprise as a second rounder. Can probably start at RT for many teams right away. OSU disclaimer: Not a fan of every OSU player (see future note on Bradley Roby, who may be the most OVERRATED player in this draft)

What has stood out to me so far, is that there are few surprises. The studs are studs, and the guys thought to be mediocre at this level of competition (Fales, Boyd, etc.) look mediocre.

Would be curious to see what all of you are witnessing from your living room.

Note: I enjoy watching DL/OL battles and spend a lot of time analyzing these players, as well as corners/safeties. For me, I am looking at footwork and hand play and grade heavily in this areas. Overall, just like last year, a really good group on defense.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
So far, it has been difficult to gauge a lot of the players.

Coverage is mainly the talking heads talking.

One on one offensive line vs. defensive line and running backs in pass protection was closely covered.

Almost a waste of time to watch for two hours and see about 25 to 30 minutes of drills.

when it comes to the Senior Bowl, Jordan Matthews gets the nod as my draft fave
where can I watch it?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
From all reports (which seem to fall in line with what I am seeing), the stars this week appear to be. Here is what I am seeing.
D. Ford- So explosive off the snap and has a great spin move
Ra'Shede Hageman- I've projected him as a top 15 pick, and he is moving close to the top 10, I believe, by the time the combine finishes. Just too athletic for interior guys to complete with. He is the best comparison athletically to JJ Watt since number 99 came out.
Aaron Donald- There is a reason why he won every major defensive award this year- he is flat out good. Smaller than hoped, but looks smarter, more instinctive that the guys he is facing.
Derek Carr- Huge arm. I've thought all along this would move him into consideration for the number 2 pick. Guys that can make every throw get a long look.
Zack Martin- Just a smooth OL. Good inside, good outside. Just seems calm in the midst of the storm.
Will Sutton- Blobbish, but the footwork is outstanding. Really quick off the snap.
Jordan Matthews- Looks great, looks prepared, looks sharp. Great physique, and a coachable spirit. The guy is a winner.
Jared Abbrederis- Talk about winner- Measurables are lacking, but he is a football player. Simply smarter than other guys on the field. Has Tom Brady Patriots all over him, with 100+ catches/year.
Chris Borland- Short-check;short arms-check; makes every play- check; just gets it done.
Aaron Colvin- Very good feet, and ability to close on WR makes him look terrific this week.
Jimmy Garappolo- Second best QB on the field this week. Looks so decisive and is crisp in all his movement. Some team is going to bypass this kid in the first, but take a long look at the top of the second round.
DeAndre Coleman- One of the players I was excited to watch this week. Has great measurables, and has looked solid this week. Can play a variety of schemes, which is going to help his value.
Will Clarke- Great height and length is going to help him at the next level. If he can add about 15 pound to that frame, could be a tough matchup for an OT in a 34 defense.
Kyle Van Noy- Special talent. Plug and play starter from Day One. Smart, smart, smart. Smooth. Probably can play in any system. Exceptional footwork.
Jake Mewhort- Seen him develop every year at OSU. I love the upside. Just a huge guy who carries his weight well. A smooth player who is vastly underrated. Thinking he is going to surprise as a second rounder. Can probably start at RT for many teams right away. OSU disclaimer: Not a fan of every OSU player (see future note on Bradley Roby, who may be the most OVERRATED player in this draft)

What has stood out to me so far, is that there are few surprises. The studs are studs, and the guys thought to be mediocre at this level of competition (Fales, Boyd, etc.) look mediocre.

Would be curious to see what all of you are witnessing from your living room.

Note: I enjoy watching DL/OL battles and spend a lot of time analyzing these players, as well as corners/safeties. For me, I am looking at footwork and hand play and grade heavily in this areas. Overall, just like last year, a really good group on defense.

MD, do you think Donald fits in our system? Are there a few prospects that stand out to you the ones you want for the niners? (for me it's Abberaderis, Landry, Matthews, ASJ, Desir, Hoskins, Bryant, and a few others). One last thing, two guys I noticed in weigh-ins are Keith McGill and Kareem Martin. Look like the have the production to back up their impressive size. Haven't seen either play yet though. Do you have thoughts on either?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
where can I watch it?

NFL network
yes sir, Cal's only rep this week, Dendre Coleman getting noticed

played 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT at Cal
Last year I recorded the game and spent 5 hours re-watcing every snap taking notes on every player per play. Will try to do it again this year, was actually really helpful.

Tough break for Aaron Colvin, tore his ACL today.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

damn. at first, they reported a sprained knee, but that's horrible news for him. he was doing so well in practice.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Oh that just sucks. Well.. maybe he will be a Niners 5th rd pick now/
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Your mom

you take that back!
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Your mom

you take that back!

I hear she runs a 4.30 forty!
Share 49ersWebzone