There are 295 users in the forums

Jaelen Strong - WR, Arizona State

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
ive heard that white wasn't that fast

That's a surprise to me. He might be the fastest of all the big receivers in the draft. He's 6'3", 210 lbs and NFLdraftscout.com has his fastest 40 at 4.38. They project him at 4.4 for the combine.

And his speed passes the eye test as well. When you watch him play, he's getting behind corners and pulling away.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I've also heard him compared to Colston and even Boldin. While I like Strong we already have possession WRs in SJ and Boldin we need a burner.

We don't necessarily need a burner. We need someone who can threaten teams deep and Strong may not have 4.3 speed but he has good game speed and his size allows him to threaten defenses down the field.

We need a burner SF needs to use Kap's arm down the field and we need to open up the field (like Moss did). Strong doesn't have that speed you covet and I don't see a WR that will threaten teams deep.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
ive heard that white wasn't that fast

That's a surprise to me. He might be the fastest of all the big receivers in the draft. He's 6'3", 210 lbs and NFLdraftscout.com has his fastest 40 at 4.38. They project him at 4.4 for the combine.

And his speed passes the eye test as well. When you watch him play, he's getting behind corners and pulling away.

Yeah for his size he has wheels, if he is there at 15 he needs to be the pick! I don't see him lasting until 15 though.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
The more I look at my own recorded videos from last season's games, the more I think Jaelen should be the one for us.. he really reminds me of Andre Johnson..
Has issues getting separation. Hmmmm. Yeah, no thanks. We have enough guys who have that issue.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
Has issues getting separation. Hmmmm. Yeah, no thanks. We have enough guys who have that issue.

Separation? Who cares. Just be 6'3" with elite hands and leaping ability. Check, check and check.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:

Separation? Who cares. Just be 6'3" with elite hands and leaping ability. Check, check and check.

Except that is entirely neutralized in a division where the DBs are just as a big as him, so you're left with a slow WR who can't get separation and is his only strength is neutralized by the opponent...NO THANKS.

No point in debating because there's no way in hell Baalke would draft this guy. He knows this team desperately need speed, quickness and athleticism on the offensive side.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Feb 7, 2015 at 10:01 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Tape vs UCLA 2014

Originally posted by genus49:
I've also heard him compared to Colston and even Boldin. While I like Strong we already have possession WRs in SJ and Boldin we need a burner.

We don't necessarily need a burner. We need someone who can threaten teams deep and Strong may not have 4.3 speed but he has good game speed and his size allows him to threaten defenses down the field.

We need a burner SF needs to use Kap's arm down the field and we need to open up the field (like Moss did). Strong doesn't have that speed you covet and I don't see a WR that will threaten teams deep.

I doubt it he will run a 4.5 - 4.6
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
I doubt it he will run a 4.5 - 4.6

You think he will run faster than a 4.5? I see him right around that range.

One thing to keep in mind about Strong is that Kap has been working out with him in PHX. That is a good thing to have because your QB has an inside track to know if he would fit in the offense. If Kap liked him, then he could make a case to the FO to draft him.
Strong is a good complimentary receiver in a system that already has speed threats. Just not a fit for our team right now. We need the speed to take the top off, or a height advantage for the red zone, or both. These kinds of receivers going deep also have great potential to draw flags from the coverage because they have to compensate for either their lack of speed/getting burnt, or lack of height/being out-jumped for balls.
Originally posted by TheRathman44:
One thing to keep in mind about Strong is that Kap has been working out with him in PHX. That is a good thing to have because your QB has an inside track to know if he would fit in the offense. If Kap liked him, then he could make a case to the FO to draft him.

Didn't work for Lockette, lol
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Strong is a good complimentary receiver in a system that already has speed threats. Just not a fit for our team right now. We need the speed to take the top off, or a height advantage for the red zone, or both. These kinds of receivers going deep also have great potential to draw flags from the coverage because they have to compensate for either their lack of speed/getting burnt, or lack of height/being out-jumped for balls.

huh? Have you seen Jaelen play?

Probably the best WR in the draft at jump balls....
  • 909er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Totally agree
Share 49ersWebzone