LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

DeAnthony Thomas in comparison to Tavon Austin's rookie year

IF 49ers were to draft Thomas to be would we be able to use him better then Tavon is being used in STL... we he be better off being used as a Desean Jackson type WR or a Randell Cobb slot role.. He's big play player written all over him, he would most likely take Vernon Davis spot in fastest player on the offense. Thomas should have no problem with separation from CBs in the league and blow the top of coverages like Jackson does.
Meh, they can't even figure out how to use LaMichael James....I'm not optimistic.
He would be inactive all season. If we can't use lamichael, we wont figure out how to use him
I'd love for us to get Black Mamba. As long as we used him like Minnesota used Harvin (let him have a few carries, screens from the slot, go deep every so often), but i don't know if the coaches would use him to his potential.
This is a pound and ground offense. They have a fast player in LMJ, why not try him in the slot. I'd rather see a wide-out with size and speed similar to Jerry and JT.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Meh, they can't even figure out how to use LaMichael James....I'm not optimistic.

Originally posted by gold49digger:
He would be inactive all season. If we can't use lamichael, we wont figure out how to use him

^^

and Harbaugh is still trying to figure out the "lawn mowering" effect and what not
He's too fast. Pass!
Drafting Thomas would do no good. This team has a problem using talented offensive players.
Black Mamba's big play potential is way better than LaMichael's, imo.

Still. Don't want to draft another Oregon back.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
small, 4.3 40 guys kill it in college because they are sooo much quicker than the tons of 4.8 guys they play against.
once in the nfl, half of that quickness advantage evaporates, and they are just small and marginally faster than a bunch of bigger guys.
if you're looking at a small, super-quick prospect, better make sure he has elusiveness and instincts, because quickness-only won't cut it.
remember chris rainey from florida? he was like smooth lightening in college, but now he can't find a job. there's many more.

Originally posted by xcfan:
small, 4.3 40 guys kill it in college because they are sooo much quicker than the tons of 4.8 guys they play against.
once in the nfl, half of that quickness advantage evaporates, and they are just small and marginally faster than a bunch of bigger guys.
if you're looking at a small, super-quick prospect, better make sure he has elusiveness and instincts, because quickness-only won't cut it.
remember chris rainey from florida? he was like smooth lightening in college, but now he can't find a job. there's many more.
First off, Rainey was cut but Pitt because of his arrest for battery. Second, he was used as only a RB and Returner. Thomas is more of OW (Offensive Weapon) like Dennard Robinson or Percy Harvin or Tavon Austin. He's a threat to score anytime he has the ball whether from returns, screens out of the slot, or runs. He and Dri Archer of Kent St. could be used in alot of ways if a coaching staff knew how to use them. Personally I believe Austin is being underutilized in St. Louis.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Drafting Thomas would do no good. This team has a problem using talented offensive players.

Roman would have him pass-blocking half the time and then running it straight up the middle the other half.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM ]
Can he play nose tackle?
  • Liono
DAT is more than a speed guy. His acceleration and agility are elite. I think the guy could have been a great cornerback in the NFL, he's a Deion Sanders level athlete with ball skills, he was recruited to be a CB but came to Oregon to play offense. At the very least, this guy will be an all-pro kick returner.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

And then traded for a 7th rounder in next-next draft.
Share 49ersWebzone