There are 237 users in the forums

TE Colt Lyerla quits Oregon

I had Lyerla as my my 6th TE, but now he is off my board, and big board I just posted. Originally had him in the 130 range due to off the field, and quiting Oregon, now he didn't and doesn't make my board unless he makes better of his like and situation.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Colt Lyerla arrested for cocaine possession

Former Oregon junior TE Colt Lyerla was arrested for unlawful possession of cocaine and interfering with a police officer on Wednesday.

Police saw Lyerla snort a white powdery substance in a parked vehicle in Eugene, Oregon. Lyerla later admitted to using cocaine. Police and Lyerla agreed to continue the investigation at his apartment, but once arriving, the tight end ran to a nearby apartment and was promptly arrested. He was released from jail at 9:20 pm PT. Lyerla left the Oregon program a few weeks ago following an ongoing dispute with coaches. Despite having early round talent, we doubt Lyerla will be drafted. Matt Miller was the first to report the arrest.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/27668/colt-lyerla-arrested-for-cocaine-possession
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I had Lyerla as my my 6th TE, but now he is off my board, and big board I just posted. Originally had him in the 130 range due to off the field, and quiting Oregon, now he didn't and doesn't make my board unless he makes better of his like and situation.

I will bet a dime to a dollar that some one will argue that we should draft him because he has so much potential.
I hear his nickname on campus was Coke Lyerla. Guess it wasn't much of a rumor.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

I will bet a dime to a dollar that some one will argue that we should draft him because he has so much potential.

If he is a UDFA I would say maybe but only at that point. But drama like that is unnecessary.
  • Liono
I think he'll still get a shot in the NFL, either as a late round pick or a camp invitee. But he'll really have to shine in camp. But man, if could've gotten his head on straighed, he'd have been a 1st round pick. That money could have bought him a lot of coke.
http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/10/colt-lyerla-a-troubled-talent/

Written pre-arrest. Dated the 14th, I read it about a week ago. Good article and shows some insight. Again, this was before his arrest.
Dude just went into UDFA status. Quitting school and being a coke head, while those two aren't necessarily normally unconnected, the combination is quite horrendous for someone looking for a football career.
Let's be honest.

If he does want to be a footballer he's going to clean his act up. He'll go to rehab, and then reach out to a couple of media outlets to tell the country about his fight with addiction.

He will be a changed man, and people will say everyone deserves a second chance.

He still has the support of some of the Oregon fan base. His recruiter is now the head coach of the Eagles. I could see a team trying assure he gets on board by drafting him late. He has to sell the image though.

I heard from another forum that he's actually going to rehab in Florida, and his charges are going to be dropped so it sounds like he's making an effort to clean up.

Generally, an addict has to hit rockbottom before they realize just how unhealthy their addiction is for themselves and those around them. Hopefully Colt has hit that point.
Share 49ersWebzone