LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 346 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by verb1der:
I have no clue about all these names, but I just reeeeeally would like us to have a tall, fast wr to beat Richard Sherman. Who's it gonna be?

Everyone thought Jeffery was to slow no questioned his talent. I have seen benjamine lee and Watkins a few times at least.Lee is smart a leader and a pure talent. Watkins had the better year but lee imo is the better player. but I thought ted ginn would be good too.lol
Originally posted by outside4949:
I have no clue about all these names, but I just reeeeeally would like us to have a tall, fast wr to beat Richard Sherman. Who's it gonna be?

Everyone thought Jeffery was to slow no questioned his talent. I have seen benjamine lee and Watkins a few times at least.Lee is smart a leader and a pure talent. Watkins had the better year but lee imo is the better player. but I thought ted ginn would be good too.lol

From the looks of it Watkins is a pipe dream for us. I'm liking Kelvin Benjamin...he's a potential a Sherman-killer.
Jeffery was a way better prospect,imo

I agree with this. Benjamin is far more raw and has a disturbing tendency to drop a lot of easily catchable passes. He's someone that you draft, coach up and develop, the issue is thus far, I have no reason to have faith in the 49ers coaching staff to develop a receiver like that.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Jeffery was a way better prospect,imo

I agree with this. Benjamin is far more raw and has a disturbing tendency to drop a lot of easily catchable passes. He's someone that you draft, coach up and develop, the issue is thus far, I have no reason to have faith in the 49ers coaching staff to develop a receiver like that.

Well out of the tall WRs in this class, who do you think is the most ready? I just hope we draft a really tall dude
Well out of the tall WRs in this class, who do you think is the most ready? I just hope we draft a really tall dude

Allen Robinson and Jordan Matthews to me are the most game-ready guys. Moncrief is also intriguing to me but his route-running was very limited at Ole Miss. If he puts it all together though, he's got Josh Gordon like size and ability.

I still don't get the obsession with height. If you're looking at a team like Seattle, their Achilles heel is speed and quickness. This is something a lot of people have attested to, that one of the key ways of beating that defense is to get a fast receiver in motion and beat them down field, when you do that, you either get someone completely wide open downfield or you pull their one deep safety away to expose the middle further.

The biggest matchup issue the 49ers are lacking on offense is speed, speed at RB and speed at WR. They need someone that Seattle and other teams will legitimately worry about beating them deep. Right now VD is the only guy on offense with any real speed.

Allen Robinson and Jordan Matthews to me are the most game-ready guys. Moncrief is also intriguing to me but his route-running was very limited at Ole Miss. If he puts it all together though, he's got Josh Gordon like size and ability.

I still don't get the obsession with height. If you're looking at a team like Seattle, their Achilles heel is speed and quickness. This is something a lot of people have attested to, that one of the key ways of beating that defense is to get a fast receiver in motion and beat them down field, when you do that, you either get someone completely wide open downfield or you pull their one deep safety away to expose the middle further.

The biggest matchup issue the 49ers are lacking on offense is speed, speed at RB and speed at WR. They need someone that Seattle and other teams will legitimately worry about beating them deep. Right now VD is the only guy on offense with any real speed.

Right on! I will look into those guys.

I just feel like small guys are easy to jam at the line, we all know how seattle puts hands on people!

I just feel like small guys are easy to jam at the line, we all know how seattle puts hands on people!

That's a good point too, but that is why you have a speed guy that you put in the slot or get them in motion, move them around, if you have Rewind, go watch how Indy used Hilton and why he was such a problem for them in spite of going up against the much bigger and more physical Brandon Browner.

That's a good point too, but that is why you have a speed guy that you put in the slot or get them in motion, move them around, if you have Rewind, go watch how Indy used Hilton and why he was such a problem for them in spite of going up against the much bigger and more physical Brandon Browner.

Great point! Hilton did have success against them. Question now is whether or not Baalke knows what he's looking for in a WR.
speed receiver or big receiver, i just want someone that puts the work in, productive, good attitude, strong hands and leaping ability.

hmm....i think i just described Jordan matthews.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
speed receiver or big receiver, i just want someone that puts the work in, productive, good attitude, strong hands and leaping ability.

Watching highlights...I'm liking him!

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Well you can kinda get both in Jarvis Landry, ball skills, speed, quickness, 6'1" 195 lbs and decent blocker.

Watching highlights...I'm liking him!

my favorite receiver in the draft after Watkins. and he's jerry rice's cousin!!

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well you can kinda get both in Jarvis Landry, ball skills, speed, quickness, 6'1" 195 lbs and decent blocker.

i LOVE Landry. i think i may have been one of the first people on here mocking the niners as a destination in the 3rd. doesn't look possible anymore now that his stock is rising.
You need a mix of WR Speed and height. Clearly we are lacking speed more than height at the moment, so to sacrifice height for speed/quickness doesnt bother me.
We got enough picks! Trade up and take Watkins. He would be perfect for this team.
I don't care about speed and height. I just want a guy who can hold on to the effin' ball when it hits him in the hands. Someone who will not drop the rock when he gets a wrist slap or gets slammed in the back by a defender. After years of Jerry Rice's hands it make my stomach sick looking at our guys acting like stick figures. Yeah, and that includes "big bad bolden" too.
Share 49ersWebzone