LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

I won't lie. I think that the top 4 WR prospects in this class are in this order:

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Davante Adams
3. Allen Robinson
4. Jordan Matthews

I don't see what ANYONE sees in Mike Evans. Dude is slow off the line and seemingly only gets open when Manziel pulls one of his tricks and dances for minutes in the pocket. Never creates his own separation unless the DB blows coverage. And Marqise Lee is just fast. I understand that he is good in some people's opinions, but I'm not seeing something. I would love for someone to explain what they are seeing to me. Watkins is unrealistic unless he falls out of the top 10. But I have fallen IN LOVE with Davante Adams' play! Dude will be a beast in the NFL, and would be a great replacement if we can't resign Boldin for less money.
Originally posted by loyalniner:
I won't lie. I think that the top 4 WR prospects in this class are in this order:

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Davante Adams
3. Allen Robinson
4. Jordan Matthews

I don't see what ANYONE sees in Mike Evans. Dude is slow off the line and seemingly only gets open when Manziel pulls one of his tricks and dances for minutes in the pocket. Never creates his own separation unless the DB blows coverage. And Marqise Lee is just fast. I understand that he is good in some people's opinions, but I'm not seeing something. I would love for someone to explain what they are seeing to me. Watkins is unrealistic unless he falls out of the top 10. But I have fallen IN LOVE with Davante Adams' play! Dude will be a beast in the NFL, and would be a great replacement if we can't resign Boldin for less money.
You left Lee out of the list. He is hands down the #2 prospect at WR. Evans is a far better prospect than both Adams and Robinson. I like Matthews a lot but not even sure he is more of a prospect than Evans either.

Evans has tremendous size and runs ok for someone that big. He is a huge target in the red zone. He is a possession receiver with very long arms.

I rank the top 10 WR's as followed:

Watkins
Lee
Evans
Matthews
Benjamin
Beckham Jr.
Cooks
Robinson
Landry
Adams
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
Originally posted by loyalniner:

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Davante Adams
3. Allen Robinson
4. Jordan Matthews

You left Lee out of the list. He is hands down the #2 prospect at WR. Evans is a far better prospect than both Adams and Robinson. I like Matthews a lot but not even sure he is more of a prospect than Evans either.

Evans has tremendous size and runs ok for someone that big. He is a huge target in the red zone. He is a possession receiver with very long arms.

I rank the top 10 WR's as followed:

Watkins
Lee
Evans
Matthews
Benjamin
Beckham Jr.
Cooks
Robinson
Landry
Adams

Wow no respect for Adams........dude is a stud, touchdown machine with incredible hands.
It's not disrespect, it's just a deep year for WR's. Adams played at a pass happy offense while prospects like Landry and Beckham played for balanced offenses that don't sling it around 60+ times a game.
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
I'll disagree and say Matthews by a mile. This guy caught everything thrown at him. Coach Franklin used to be a WR coach at Green Bay and he said Matthews was one of the best receivers that he has seen in his coaching days.

Matthews reminds me of a slightly less athletic Larry Fitzgerald. The more I watch him the more I love his game.

Landry will have bigger hands than Matthews at the combine. More than that Landry has snatched balls out of DBs hands and made some beautiful contested catches. The GIF abovr is just one example. And more than that Cam Cameron was the OC for Ravens before he was fired and hired by LSU. He plays a prostyle and their WRs block for the run. Essentially you're getting a pro ready player. Anyways I like Matthews too but I was more impressed by Landry refined skill set. Both the LSU WRs show an intermediate understanding of setting down routes and beating the press. Im not going to say they're the most advanced WRs in the country but they're in a small group..
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM ]
This class is one of the deepest I've seen possibly ever! I so hope we get two out of this class, I can honestly say that I like a lot of them
I have a draft crush on Jarvis Landry. He would be the ideal replacement for Boldin on this team from this draft.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
After watching todays game, speed is definitely a need for the 9ers offense. I know they tried to get it with AJ Jenkins and failed, but now is a chance for Baalke to redeem himself with Jarvis Landry. I'm fully on the Jarvis Landry bandwagon and now consider him as my 1st round draft crush for the 9ers, which the 9ers may have to trade up for.

Secondary can be had in the later rounds, perhaps the 2nd, and yes, I'm looking at you Kyle Fuller!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
After watching todays game, speed is definitely a need for the 9ers offense. I know they tried to get it with AJ Jenkins and failed, but now is a chance for Baalke to redeem himself with Jarvis Landry. I'm fully on the Jarvis Landry bandwagon and now consider him as my 1st round draft crush for the 9ers, which the 9ers may have to trade up for.

Secondary can be had in the later rounds, perhaps the 2nd, and yes, I'm looking at you Kyle Fuller!!!

ALL THIS
Damnit Keenan Allen is killing it today...

Ths class is insanely deep. Some very talented receivers are going to slide later than they should based off of numbers alone.
  • Liono
Should we trade up for Marquise Lee?
  • Liono
A good sleeper pick is WR Josh Huff from Oregon. He's good speed, good hands, but he's very tough and a good run blocker on the edge, so he'd fit in well with the 49er way. He's also an intense competitor.
[ Edited by Liono on Jan 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Liono:
Should we trade up for Marquise Lee?

If the 9ers trade up for ANY WR it better be Jarvis Landry. Overall speed, quickness, hands or ball skills you gotta give it to Landry. I also think Landry is a better blocker and against more superior competition. Caught 90 yards vs. Alabama, 118 yards vs. Auburn and 156 yards vs. Georgia, like I said pretty productive against far more superior competition. Besides, Baalke tends to shy away from the PAC12 prospects aside from LaMichael James who hasn't really lit it up in the NFL. In the end, USC talent is nothing but fools gold when it comes to the NFL, nothing worth drafting high.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Ths class is insanely deep. Some very talented receivers are going to slide later than they should based off of numbers alone.

Originally posted by 49ers808:
This class is one of the deepest I've seen possibly ever! I so hope we get two out of this class, I can honestly say that I like a lot of them

With WRs this deep, I don't have a particular favorite WR, may be except for Watkins, who is out of reach and not willing to go all out for him like what the Falcons did for J. Jones a few years back. Their team could sure use those draft picks they traded away now that the Falcons have fallen apart. I wouldn't mind 49ers moving up 8-10 spots but not top 10 pick. Just too costly.

I would be happy if 49ers is able to draft one of the considered top 8 WRs in this draft. LOL, watch Baalke throw us a curve ball and draft a WR no one saw coming. LOL.
Share 49ersWebzone