There are 275 users in the forums

2014 defensive back/safety class?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's all about Jason Verrett yo. Cocky b*****d, but he backs it up with his play. Totally destroyed Ward when TCU played Texas Tech. The way its looking, I see him as a late 1st rounder.

Baalke, draft the man dammit!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YungAce:
Bene Benwikere!

Fales has failed me so far but Bene has been Ballin so far

Because he's from a smaller school and won't get hyped as much, he might slip to mid/late rounds... hopefully, we can get him there and have a couple of quality rookie DBs. He'll be close to home, it would be nice to snag him up.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
I'm not a huge fan of this safety class.

I'm hoping Eric Reid takes over as the SS next year & Whitner bolts. That means I'd want another Eric Reid type of player (which is a lot to ask). But I want them to err on the side of coverage ability over tackling / run support. There aren't a lot of safeties I like for that role in this draft.

I like Ed Reynolds of Stanford, even after he got ejected for blowing up ASU's QB.

I rather Reid stays at FS, why make him learn SS when he will have 1 yr at FS. I like Craig Loston of LSU, and Deone Buchannon of Washington State at SS.

Reynolds teammate is a good one, Jordan Richards, but a bit on the small size.
Dion Bailey SS USC!
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Nice, just trying to gather as much info as i can on the DB's in this draft class since we will most likely see a pretty big turnover in the Niner secondary this offseason. A quality CB with the first pick is a must, imo (of course WR will also be a pressing matter depending on what happens with Crabtree, Boldin etc)

It's all about Jason Verrett yo. Cocky b*****d, but he backs it up with his play. Totally destroyed Ward when TCU played Texas Tech. The way its looking, I see him as a late 1st rounder.

He sounds good too and they would have the ammo to move up . What are your thoughts on this guy they have them taking?
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-09-25/nfl-mock-draft-2014-bridgewater-clowney-mariota-hundley/slide/28
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Oct 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM ]
He sounds good too and they would have the ammo to move up . What are your thoughts on this guy they have them taking?
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-09-25/nfl-mock-draft-2014-bridgewater-clowney-mariota-hundley/slide/28

LOL, I swear these guys making these mock drafts have no imagination, they're like grade school kids copying off each other on a grade school quiz. So many have the 49ers taking Ekpre-Olumu. He's actually a fine player, a bit undersized, prone to gambling a bit too much at times but does well with the ball in the air, definitely more of a ballhawk type.

LOL, I swear these guys making these mock drafts have no imagination, they're like grade school kids copying off each other on a grade school quiz. So many have the 49ers taking Ekpre-Olumu. He's actually a fine player, a bit undersized, prone to gambling a bit too much at times but does well with the ball in the air, definitely more of a ballhawk type.

Would you rather sit back and wait for him or move up to grab a guy like Dix or Verrett? Actually I forgot you were advocating the FS from Stanford in your mock. I'm fine with any sort of infusion of youth and talent into the secondary.
just might have become even more important.
definately would love Ha Ha paired with Reid. I'm sick of these 5'11 and below corners. I think seattle is doing it right, having BIG (6'3) physical CB's with a ball hawking FS. I think if we had two big physical corners, with guys like Eric Reid and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, with ILB bowman and willis, and getting pass rushes from lemonier and aldon smith.. you're looking at a more scary D than seattles.
Originally posted by denali22:
definately would love Ha Ha paired with Reid. I'm sick of these 5'11 and below corners. I think seattle is doing it right, having BIG (6'3) physical CB's with a ball hawking FS. I think if we had two big physical corners, with guys like Eric Reid and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, with ILB bowman and willis, and getting pass rushes from lemonier and aldon smith.. you're looking at a more scary D than seattles.

I used to think the same thing, but with Reids recent concussion issues I dont think moving him to SS is such a good idea.

Maybe finding a ball hawking SS is a better option, or a big FS/CB. SS usually go a little later in the draft too.

• buck
  • Veteran
Florida junior CB Marcus Roberson has been suspended for Saturday's game against South Carolina.

Head coach Will Muschamp cited a violation of team rules for Roberson's suspension.

This means Florida's top two corner prospects, Roberson and Loucheiz Purifoy, have been suspended at some point this season. We expect both to enter the draft.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/28233/gators-cb-roberson-suspended-vs-scar
[imp=http:// http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24243902/2014-nfl-draft-wsus-bucannon-passes-key-test-vs-arizona]

Latest update on Buchannon
Gilbert has been playing quite well this year, I know a few guys were high on him on here. Played pretty well against Mike Davis, only got beat once from what I saw and his return ability is an added bonus. I was skeptical after his poor junior season but I watch a lot of Big Ten football and CFB in general and I find him to have been more impressive than Roby (OSU prospect that was looked at as possibly the top CB). Roby is younger of course but Gilbert's size is really nice.
Share 49ersWebzone