There are 255 users in the forums

PICK #2 (40): Guess The Player And Position To Be Addressed Next

PICK #2 (40): Guess The Player And Position To Be Addressed Next

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Still not over losing both Hopkins and Patterson....

But despite the big drop from them to the next group, I still think taking the best WR left is our best option. There's still a lot of value there, and it's our greatest need (really).

Question is, who is the top guy left?

I'm thinking Keenan Allen, but I'm sure some people like Hunter, Woods or even Terence Williams more.

If we go WR, who do you want?

Not going WR. Lol, never understood why people thought we would. Its not currently a huge need. I look for a guy like Mellette in later rounds.

Maybe because having a weak ass WR group cost us back to back superbowls....

But sure, THIS TIME getting an aging vet and drafting some late round guy will totally change everything. All the other years we did exactly the same thing were just anomalies.

It's totally possible that they don't go WR with that pick. But that doesn't mean it's not our greatest need. It's been our greatest need for years, and they haven't seriously addressed it in any off season. And we've been paying the price every year, when we play our most important games with guys like Joe Hastings getting snaps at WR.

Please, tell me another position where we've moved undrafted rookies from the practice squad into the active roster AND game plain during the playoffs two years in a row. Seriously. Tell me what other position has proven to be that needy.

Disagree with this.

The lack of depth at Defensive line witch killed our pass rush, exposing our secondary and consequently the crumbling of our defense in the playoffs, had way more to do with us losing the SB than lack of receiving options.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

But despite the big drop from them to the next group, I still think taking the best WR left is our best option. There's still a lot of value there, and it's our greatest need (really).

I'm thinking Keenan Allen, but I'm sure some people like Hunter, Woods or even Terence Williams more.

Not going WR. Lol, never understood why people thought we would. Its not currently a huge need. I look for a guy like Mellette in later rounds.

But sure, THIS TIME getting an aging vet and drafting some late round guy will totally change everything. All the other years we did exactly the same thing were just anomalies.

It's totally possible that they don't go WR with that pick. But that doesn't mean it's not our greatest need. It's been our greatest need for years, and they haven't seriously addressed it in any off season. And we've been paying the price every year, when we play our most important games with guys like Joe Hastings getting snaps at WR.

Please, tell me another position where we've moved undrafted rookies from the practice squad into the active roster AND game plain during the playoffs two years in a row. Seriously. Tell me what other position has proven to be that needy.

Crabtree and Boldin is a solid combo man, Boldin isaint ashed up like Moss. Jenkins is still a Question, but once Manningham comes back healthy, and haveing a healthy Williams, we have a pretty solid WR group. Best it has been in a decade. Where would a second round WR fit in? Hes not gonna play over crabtree or boldin, thats for sure. The value simply isaint there for this season. Thats why a later round WR with less investment makes sense. Next year is the year to target WR early, when we have holes to fill, and when we know what we have with guys like Jenkins..

You are assuming Manningham will be fine. What if 2 guys go down again ? We will be screwed like last season.

Funky is right, we just don't have enough talent and depth at WR. We just need a couple more weapons to get us over that proverbial hump.

Of course, TE would be a great weapon too, but seriously now if Justin Hunter is available (without trading up) which he is, you simply can't pass it up. Please remember we now have to deal with Percy Harvin and Tavon Austin in the division, that in itself is no joke, not to mention twice just within the regular season. We got to man up just to keep up. You can't just look at our own personnel situation in isolation, you have to look at the whole picture in totality.

If you are saying we should only look for WRs next year, you will only be adding additional pressure on the draft when we will need a bonafide RB stud to learn behind Frank before he hangs up his boots. Plus, if anyone doesn't work out at WR this season or anyone we lose during the offseason, we might still need to draft more WRs anyway.

Plus, if you think about it, the 49ers don't really have any proper WR studs. Yes, Crab and Anquan are great possession receivers, but is not like we have a Julio Jones, Roddy White, Calvin Johnson and the likes. To me, is a bit if a waste when we have a rising QB who has so much arm strength and potential. To be totally fair to Kaep, you need to give him top weapons in order to help develop him into a QB star.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm gonna go with Jesse Williams, David Amerson or Damontre Moore at #34 and either Jonathan Banks, John Jenkins or Jamie Collins at #61.
Been saying it in other threads so why not here ... J.Williams #34 D.slay #61 N T.Kelce #93....luv tha Reid pick I must say I did have him mocked to us just in tha second round though.
Originally posted by Rascal:

Crabtree and Boldin is a solid combo man, Boldin isaint ashed up like Moss. Jenkins is still a Question, but once Manningham comes back healthy, and haveing a healthy Williams, we have a pretty solid WR group. Best it has been in a decade. Where would a second round WR fit in? Hes not gonna play over crabtree or boldin, thats for sure. The value simply isaint there for this season. Thats why a later round WR with less investment makes sense. Next year is the year to target WR early, when we have holes to fill, and when we know what we have with guys like Jenkins..

You are assuming Manningham will be fine. What if 2 guys go down again ? We will be screwed like last season.

Funky is right, we just don't have enough talent and depth at WR. We just need a couple more weapons to get us over that proverbial hump.

Of course, TE would be a great weapon too, but seriously now if Justin Hunter is available (without trading up) which he is, you simply can't pass it up. Please remember we now have to deal with Percy Harvin and Tavon Austin in the division, that in itself is no joke, not to mention twice just within the regular season. We got to man up just to keep up. You can't just look at our own personnel situation in isolation, you have to look at the whole picture in totality.

If you are saying we should only look for WRs next year, you will only be adding additional pressure on the draft when we will need a bonafide RB stud to learn behind Frank before he hangs up his boots. Plus, if anyone doesn't work out at WR this season or anyone we lose during the offseason, we might still need to draft more WRs anyway.

Plus, if you think about it, the 49ers don't really have any proper WR studs. Yes, Crab and Anquan are great possession receivers, but is not like we have a Julio Jones, Roddy White, Calvin Johnson and the likes. To me, is a bit if a waste when we have a rising QB who has so much arm strength and potential. To be totally fair to Kaep, you need to give him top weapons in order to help develop him into a QB star.
Thank you.

Just because Boldin is better than Moss doesn't make him good enough to take us to the next level. People forget that he spent most of his time in Baltimore being pretty average. And that was when he was younger.

We've brought in a new vet WR just about every year since TO left. And NONE of them have amounted to anything.

I agree with Rascal, we need to be aiming for a young, talented, deep group of WRs. If that means Manningham or Justin Hunter have to be 4th that's fine. We need more than just 2 decent WRs. We need 4 that are actually good and 2 that could be good. Not 1 that's good, 3 that could be good, and a handful that no fan ever wants to see on the field (Swain, Hastings, etc.).

Yeah, we need DL depth too. But we still have better bench guys and better starters there than we have at WR.

Im sorry, is there a Jones, white, or Johnson available in the second round im missing? Any WR drafted in the second will get lost on the depth chart. And im not sure i get what you are saying about other teams within the divisions WR's. Why do we need more receivers to counter that? you counter that with secondary. Not more WR's.

Our offense was plenty explosive last season, and we indeed upgraded with Boldin. It was lack of depth on the D front and a poor secondary performance that killed us. That and not feeding frank in the redzone, but that was way after our defense laid an egg.

Anyone can say what if with injurys. what if Justin gets hurt again? Aldon? Two ILBs? Gore? VD? Kaep? Thats a poor arguement, when we have much more depth at WR than we do in other key positions. We can easily add depth in later rounds. Adding a slot guy that can contribute on ST like Ace Sanders, and a larger body RZ target like Mellette or Kaufman. There is simply more value at other positions in the second. Of course thats my opinion, your entitled to yours.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KegBert:
Disagree with this.

The lack of depth at Defensive line witch killed our pass rush, exposing our secondary and consequently the crumbling of our defense in the playoffs, had way more to do with us losing the SB than lack of receiving options.

I disagree.

Remember, no matter how stout your D is, noone can stop a top offense. We were all taught a lesson, not just through our own experience but other teams too. Bronocs' D was ranked 3rd, well they got burnt by Jacoby Jones. Seahawks has arguably the top secondary and yet they got burnt by Julio Jones and Roddy White. Ultimately, it is not like our D is rubbish, but you need an offense that can put points on the board and outscore our opponents to win. Very often is down to that 1 play and you got to have top weapons that can make that play. Also, what is up with all our slow starts ? Our O needs to go out and dominate from the word go and not let up. And that is how we are going to win a Super Bowl !!
Thank you.

Just because Boldin is better than Moss doesn't make him good enough to take us to the next level. People forget that he spent most of his time in Baltimore being pretty average. And that was when he was younger.

We've brought in a new vet WR just about every year since TO left. And NONE of them have amounted to anything.

I agree with Rascal, we need to be aiming for a young, talented, deep group of WRs. If that means Manningham or Justin Hunter have to be 4th that's fine. We need more than just 2 decent WRs. We need 4 that are actually good and 2 that could be good. Not 1 that's good, 3 that could be good, and a handful that no fan ever wants to see on the field (Swain, Hastings, etc.).

Yeah, we need DL depth too. But we still have better bench guys and better starters there than we have at WR.

Im sorry, i forgot swain, hastings, or even ginn were still in the conversation. And i dont know what Boldin you were watching, but his average was just as good or better than it ever was in AZ. He simply saw less targets. He had a 13.1, 15.6, and 14.2 average in Baltimore. The 15.6 was the highest of his career, and the 14.2 last season was the third best average. We also spent a first round pick on a WR last year. Im not sure exactly what you want out of a WR core. This is not the same core as it was two seasons ago.
Lol Mr rascal got a tag team partner now a two head hunter pimping dragon now that's scary lol
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Im sorry, is there a Jones, white, or Johnson available in the second round im missing? Any WR drafted in the second will get lost on the depth chart. And im not sure i get what you are saying about other teams within the divisions WR's. Why do we need more receivers to counter that? you counter that with secondary. Not more WR's.

Our offense was plenty explosive last season, and we indeed upgraded with Boldin. It was lack of depth on the D front and a poor secondary performance that killed us. That and not feeding frank in the redzone, but that was way after our defense laid an egg.

Anyone can say what if with injurys. what if Justin gets hurt again? Aldon? Two ILBs? Gore? VD? Kaep? Thats a poor arguement, when we have much more depth at WR than we do in other key positions. We can easily add depth in later rounds. Adding a slot guy that can contribute on ST like Ace Sanders, and a larger body RZ target like Mellette or Kaufman. There is simply more value at other positions in the second. Of course thats my opinion, your entitled to yours.

Very simple. Ask yourself 1 single question, who puts points on the board ? The offense.

No D can stop top weapons. I thought we had already learnt that in the playoffs. If you add on the D, yes you might have a chance to slow down beasts like Harvin or Austin by a tad may be if you are lucky. But, they are still going to score on you. What then ? Same thing, our O has to go back out to get it done !!

Oh and don't under estimate prospects just because they are in the 2nd round. If you pick the right guy, he can still blow things up. Give you an example, did anyone think Alfred Morris in the 6th was a stud ? No, but he had over 1,600 yards of rushing as a rookie. Did anyone think a 5'10" QB in Russell Wilson in the 3rd would turn out to be a stud ? No, but he is now easily a top 10 QB in the league.

Originally posted by KegBert:
Disagree with this.

I disagree.

Remember, no matter how stout your D is, noone can stop a top offense. We were all taught a lesson, not just through our own experience but other teams too. Bronocs' D was ranked 3rd, well they got burnt by Jacoby Jones. Seahawks has arguably the top secondary and yet they got burnt by Julio Jones and Roddy White. Ultimately, it is not like our D is rubbish, but you need an offense that can put points on the board and outscore our opponents to win. Very often is down to that 1 play and you got to have top weapons that can make that play. Also, what is up with all our slow starts ? Our O needs to go out and dominate from the word go and not let up. And that is how we are going to win a Super Bowl !!

Yet two top defensive teams played in the superbowl. We were 11th in scoreing last season, and thats after manningham, williams and hunter were injured, and with a QB taking over midseason. its only going to get better.

Very simple. Ask yourself 1 single question, who puts points on the board ? The offense.

No D can stop top weapons. I thought we had already learnt that in the playoffs. If you add on the D, yes you might have a chance to slow down beasts like Harvin or Austin by a tad may be if you are lucky. But, they are still going to score on you. What then ? Same thing, our O has to go back out to get it done !!

Oh and don't under estimate prospects just because they are in the 2nd round. If you pick the right guy, he can still blow things up. Give you an example, did anyone think Alfred Morris in the 6th was a stud ? No, but he had over 1,600 yards of rushing as a rookie. Did anyone think a 5'10" QB in Russell Wilson in the 3rd would turn out to be a stud ? No, but he is now easily a top 10 QB in the league.

We beat GB twice, NE and ATL.....Our offense scored plenty of points. Its also only going to get better.

And seriously...Your compareing RB's and Qb's to WR's? Sure a guy can come out of the second and become a stud, but WR is a much differant position than RB and QB.
Ill also add that "Beast" Harvin you are talking about was less productive than Boldin at WR last season. Much less. and that "Beast" Austin is a 5-8 175 pound rookie.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Apr 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM ]
Justin Hunter would probably start the season as our #3 WR. If Boldin doesn't produce more than Moss was then Hunter would be the #2 (unless Jenkins starts lighting it up).
Also with Kaepernick we'll be seeing a lot more 3 and 4 WR sets and less 2 TE sets.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Yet two top defensive teams played in the superbowl. We were 11th in scoreing last season, and thats after manningham, williams and hunter were injured, and with a QB taking over midseason. its only going to get better.

I am not saying don't draft on D. By the way, didn't we just move all the way up to 18th to draft Eric Reid ?

OK, if you don't like my comparison with RBs and QBs, then what about our own Anquan ? 2nd round, 54th overall pick. Brandon Marshall, 4th round, 120th overall pick. Jacoby Jones, 3rd round, 73rd overall pick. Torrey Smith, 2nd round, 58th overall pick. That should be enough examples right ?
Share 49ersWebzone