There are 185 users in the forums

Trading up might be cheaper than we think

http://www.sportsplusnumbers.com/2013/04/nfl-draft-trade-machine.html

This is a fascinating "Trade Machine" where you can input the picks surrendered on both sides, and it tells you which team gets more value based on FOUR different charts. The "old" chart and the Harvard chart are at the extremes. There are two other charts (one from this blogger's own site) that fall in the middle.

I plugged in the following: 31+34+128 for 14+44.

The old chart said that favored us enormously. Two of the other three charts gave Carolina the edge, and the third gave us a slight edge. In other words, if the old chart is truly going out of style, and if the teams in the 10-20 range of this draft are as desperate to trade down as media reports suggest, we might end up being surprised how cheap it is for us to move up.

I mean, who here wouldn't give up 31 and 34 and 128 for 14 and 44? We'd still have five picks in the top 93.

14: Sheldon Richardson or Tank Carradine
44: DB
61: TE
74: DB
93: DL or WR
Interesting tool

I like 31, 61, 93, & 128 for 14 & 44.

Still leaves us with 34, 44, & 74.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Interesting tool

Not bad. I'd probably want Carradine/Richardson followed by CB, FS, TE in that scenario.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
http://www.sportsplusnumbers.com/2013/04/nfl-draft-trade-machine.html

This is a fascinating "Trade Machine" where you can input the picks surrendered on both sides, and it tells you which team gets more value based on FOUR different charts. The "old" chart and the Harvard chart are at the extremes. There are two other charts (one from this blogger's own site) that fall in the middle.

I plugged in the following: 31+34+128 for 14+44.

The old chart said that favored us enormously. Two of the other three charts gave Carolina the edge, and the third gave us a slight edge. In other words, if the old chart is truly going out of style, and if the teams in the 10-20 range of this draft are as desperate to trade down as media reports suggest, we might end up being surprised how cheap it is for us to move up.

I mean, who here wouldn't give up 31 and 34 and 128 for 14 and 44? We'd still have five picks in the top 93.

14: Sheldon Richardson or Tank Carradine
44: DB
61: TE
74: DB
93: DL or WR

In this scenario, essentially we are just moving back 10 spots in 2nd round and giving up a 4th round pick to move up 17 spots in the 1st round? Don't see how that could work. But hell let's try it!
To add to that... in THIS draft there are lots of teams looking to trade back but not many looking to trade up, due to the quality of the 2nd tier talent in this draft. So supply/demand is in our favor.

Calculators are great, but teams still have to deal with the economics of the situation on draft day.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Interesting tool

Would like this one
Share 49ersWebzone