LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Baalke's new name in an envelope is.......

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Datone Jones

im gettin to the point where Datone Jones is the only name I want to hear at #31
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Last draft Baalke put AJ Jenkins name is an envelope and said that would be the player the Niners would select.

This year the surprise name in the envelope is John Jenkins. The true 3-4 NT that the Niners have never had. What surprise name is in the envelope for you guys?

False.

Baalke never revealed the name of the player.

Plus, Baalke might not have been telling the truth.
One of the DJs
Originally posted by buck:
False.

Thanks for playing!
Sheldon Richardson
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by hofer36:
why take a guy who will play only 30% of the snaps so high

It's a common fallacy on the Zone that a blue-chip NT would only play 30% of the snaps. If you add all the NT snaps from Sopoaga and RJF last year it's closer to 50%. And those are both mediocre players. It stands to reason that if we had a top-flight NT he would play even more and give our D more flexibility in our fronts.

I think this is false. If you add up all of the TOTAL snaps from RJF and Soap, it is closer to 50%. Soap had occasional snaps as a DT in the Nickel, but he was the fastest 49ers of the snap for years (Nolan used to measure it), so that makes a little sense. RJF got most of his snaps at Nickel DT and rotational DE in the base set. If you add up all of the base D snaps, you get around 40%, IIRC. Some NTs seem more likely to help on passing downs. I'd take Jenkins over Williams for that, personally.
Real tough call

If we stay pat - Jessie Williams NT/DE Alabama
rolo tamasi
[ Edited by hofer36 on Apr 25, 2013 at 8:34 AM ]
It is more likely that Jenkins is in the envelop for Round 2. I don't see him sniffing the top half of Round 2, let alone break into the first, Stranger things have happened, but there are far too many other players on the board at 31.
Last draft Baalke put AJ Jenkins name is an envelope and said that would be the player the Niners would select.

This year the surprise name in the envelope is John Jenkins. The true 3-4 NT that the Niners have never had. What surprise name is in the envelope for you guys?

I've said it elsewhere: Alex Okafor.

Now, I'm not entirely convinced this year's #31 pick is guaranteed to be a "surprise" just because last year's pick was, but if it is, Okafor is the name I keep coming back to. Fills a couple needs (instant pass rush, possible Justin heir after development/added weight) and hasn't been in any 1st round mocks despite being considered a borderline 1st/2nd talent. Just like Jenkins.

But I'm still leaning toward this year being more straightforward in terms of who we target. If we stand pat at #31, I expect us to take one of the guys who falls out of Datone Jones, Tank Carradine, Bjoern Werner, John Cyprien, DJ Hayden, Desmond Trufant, Jamar Taylor, or Cordarrelle Patterson.

I'm on the Okafor bandwagon too. If we can't get Datone Jones or Tank Carradine.... Okafor should be the guy!

Originally posted by blm7754:
I'm on the Okafor bandwagon too. If we can't get Datone Jones or Tank Carradine.... Okafor should be the guy!

Count me in. Would really help the pass rush and provide Aldon insurance.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
False.

Thanks for playing!

Your Welcome
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by hofer36:
why take a guy who will play only 30% of the snaps so high

It's a common fallacy on the Zone that a blue-chip NT would only play 30% of the snaps. If you add all the NT snaps from Sopoaga and RJF last year it's closer to 50%. And those are both mediocre players. It stands to reason that if we had a top-flight NT he would play even more and give our D more flexibility in our fronts.

I think this is false. If you add up all of the TOTAL snaps from RJF and Soap, it is closer to 50%. Soap had occasional snaps as a DT in the Nickel, but he was the fastest 49ers of the snap for years (Nolan used to measure it), so that makes a little sense. RJF got most of his snaps at Nickel DT and rotational DE in the base set. If you add up all of the base D snaps, you get around 40%, IIRC. Some NTs seem more likely to help on passing downs. I'd take Jenkins over Williams for that, personally.

Pro Foot Focus has the snaps listed by position and name.

The 49ers, according to their snap count, had a nose tackle on the field 49.5% of the time during the regular season.

The players who had snaps at nose tackle during the regular season were Sopoaga, Francois, and Williams.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM ]
Jamar Taylor
^At pick 28^
Share 49ersWebzone