LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Tank Carradine (one year wonder)

Go to ~3min mark at this video and listen to Bill Walsh's view of one year wonders:

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/NFLN-Bill-Walshs-Draft-Philosophy/5f80f19c-cb3e-4c34-bf1a-a8859f4a5be0
Actually, Tank did a good job for the Seminoles as a junior, racking up 8 TFL and 5.5 sacks in a rotational role. Before that, he was the #1 rated JUCO DE in the country and one of the top prospects overall regardless of position. So yes, he had a big senior season, but it's not like he came out of nowhere.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Actually, Tank did a good job for the Seminoles as a junior, racking up 8 TFL and 5.5 sacks in a rotational role. Before that, he was the #1 rated JUCO DE in the country and one of the top prospects overall regardless of position. So yes, he had a big senior season, but it's not like he came out of nowhere.

That's what I was going to say, Bjoern Werner is more of a one-hit-wonder than Tank.

Where:

Tank the "Won Year Oneder" can be traded up for with selections used for Lattimore

Culliver starts at FS

31 Tank Carradine/Jarvis Jones PR (pass rusher)
34 Zach Ertz TE
45 (trade up 61+93) Robert Alford/DJ Hayden CB San Diego

74 (trade down for 96 and 99) Kansas City 96 99=220

91 (trade up 99+173+180) Marcus Lattimore RB New England 99+173+180=145

96 (acquired) Montori Hughes NT

104– 99 (acquired and traded)

111 (trade up 128+157) Da'Rick Rogers WR Miami

comp - 131 Dallas Thomas OT
23 - 173 traded

20 - 180 traded
237 Sean Renfree/Jeff Tuel QB

comp - 246 Glenn Foster DT/DE

comp - 252 Ray Polk FS (6-1, 219, 4.42 [3rd fastest FS])

[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

That's what I was going to say, Bjoern Werner is more of a one-hit-wonder than Tank.

LOL You might wanna go back and watch a few games or check stats. Werner is a beast and was getting it done doubled teamed. You will not find a better 43 DE who is as highly skilled pass rushing and defending the run than Werner. The only player close to Werner is Carradine. Both players imo should be ranked and rated as better pass rushers than Ansah or Jordan.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
LOL You might wanna go back and watch a few games or check stats. Werner is a beast and was getting it done doubled teamed. You will not find a better 43 DE who is as highly skilled pass rushing and defending the run than Werner. The only player close to Werner is Carradine. Both players imo should be ranked and rated as better pass rushers than Ansah or Jordan.

How's the weather in Florida?

Let me start off by saying that I like Tank a lot, and is the #1 player I hope to end up with tomorrow (ok, #2, Hopkins is still my #1). But just bringing this up based on the comments Bill Walsh made about wondering why a player didn't start. If he didn't start in college, there is probably a reason. Again, just food for thought.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Let me start off by saying that I like Tank a lot, and is the #1 player I hope to end up with tomorrow (ok, #2, Hopkins is still my #1). But just bringing this up based on the comments Bill Walsh made about wondering why a player didn't start. If he didn't start in college, there is probably a reason. Again, just food for thought.

Kap didn't start last year until Alex got hurt, now he is widely recognized as the superior player. Gotta show it in the game to prove it to coaches, and if the other guy is already doing it, you wait until you have the chance to show that you can do it better.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

How's the weather in Florida?

Better than NYC for damn sure.

Tank had two legitimate top-tier NFL prospects ahead of him (Werner and Brandon Jenkins) when he arrived on campus in 2011. To actually get enough playing time to deliver 8 TFL and 5.5 sacks says something about how good Tank is that he would cut into their playing time. So though I understand the point you're bringing up, one has to look at each situation on its own merit and study the dynamics of it.

If Tank came in and couldn't immediately beat out a few cupcake DEs on the FSU roster, then you have an issue. But both Werner and Jenkins coming into the 2012 season were widely considered first round talents, so beating them out for a starting role was going to be damn near impossible. I mean, Tank is good, but he's not a super-star prospect by any means. So if we were drafting him in the top 10 or something, your point would probably be more applicable. But taking a chance on a productive, high-upside DE at the end of the first round, especially knowing he could be brought along slowly, seems like a fairly safe bet to me. Even if he only broke the starting lineup in college because of an injury to the perceived 1st rounder in front of him.

Just my take.

Tank had two legitimate top-tier NFL prospects ahead of him (Werner and Brandon Jenkins) when he arrived on campus in 2011. To actually get enough playing time to deliver 8 TFL and 5.5 sacks says something about how good Tank is that he would cut into their playing time. So though I understand the point you're bringing up, one has to look at each situation on its own merit and study the dynamics of it.

If Tank came in and couldn't immediately beat out a few cupcake DEs on the FSU roster, then you have an issue. But both Werner and Jenkins coming into the 2012 season were widely considered first round talents, so beating them out for a starting role was going to be damn near impossible. I mean, Tank is good, but he's not a super-star prospect by any means. So if we were drafting him in the top 10 or something, your point would probably be more applicable. But taking a chance on a productive, high-upside DE at the end of the first round, especially knowing he could be brought along slowly, seems like a fairly safe bet to me. Even if he only broke the starting lineup in college because of an injury to the perceived 1st rounder in front of him.

Just my take.

And I agree with you, but it would be unconscionable to not consider BW's thoughts :)

Also, good question that your post brings up... what's up with Jenkins? He's the forgotten man in this draft. A potential steal?
This guy plays like aldon smith.

Not sure about that ACL though.

Just my take.

And I agree with you, but it would be unconscionable to not consider BW's thoughts :)

Also, good question that your post brings up... what's up with Jenkins? He's the forgotten man in this draft. A potential steal?

True about BWs perspective, but according to Lombardi, he did say something to the effect that every situation is unique. And yes, I think Jenkins could be a steal in the 4th round+, or even a guy like Quanterus Smith...both were considered top 3-4 OLB conversion types before their injuries. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if we used one/a few of our picks on guys like this; stash them away for a year them let them compete in 2014.
Share 49ersWebzone