There are 203 users in the forums

Niners draft without trades.

Rd 1 - Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
We obviously need some youth, depth, and potential starter on the DL. Jones is the best passrusher who's best fit is 3-4 DE.

Rd 2A - Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
If he's here, then it's a no-brainer to pick him. The dude is a stud who's "bad hands" are hugely exaggerated. Can take the top off the defense like no one else we have right now.

Rd 2B - David Amerson, FS, North Carolina State
Total ballhawk and FS will be his best fit in the NFL.

Rd 3A - Brandon Williams, NT, Missouri Southern State
A very versatile lineman who will provide a passrush at NT

Rd 3B - Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati
Takes Walker's spot in the lineup, great potential.

Rd 4A - Tyrann Mathieu, CB, Ex-LSU
Time to take a flyer. Mathieu is a playmaker on special teams and defense. We can afford to bring him along slowly.

Rd 4B - Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
Another flyer. He says he'll be ready for game 1 but the best bet would be for the Niners to send him to IR or PUP for the year to keep building his strength back.

Rd 5 - William Gholston, DE, Michigan State
Stock up on young potential for the DL. Will take Dobbs' roster spot. With the money and years we have in our LB's we need to have plenty of young cheap DL.

Rd 6A - Manase Foketi, OT, West Texas A&M
We're kinda short on Tackles, we could use more. Practice Squad.

Rd 6B - AJ Klein, LB, Iowa State
We need a replacement for Grant/Gooden.

Rd 7A - Travis Johnson, OLB, San Jose State
Depth at OLB, we can't be sure of what we have in Fleming or Johnson. Haralson will be gone after this year. Will go to practice squad.

Rd 7B - Brandon Kaufman, WR, Eastern Washington
Awesome production and totally dominant at a small school. Will go to practice squad.

Rd 7C - Braxton Cave, OC, Notre Dame
I think he has pretty good potential. Another practice squad candidate for now.

Obviously there'll be trades and the Niners won't make 13 picks in the draft. Just wanted to do it this way.
Would be a very good draft. Really wish Tank Carradine wasn't rising up draft boards because I prefer him over Datone Jones since he's a much better pass rusher. Jones might be more solid all around though. Also like the late round pick Travis Johnson. He gets sacks! Was in my class too.
Very nice luv tha first 5 picks ... hate both 4th round N gholston picks ... luv Kaufman pick he's one of my favorite WR .... A- draft grade though
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Would be a very good draft. Really wish Tank Carradine wasn't rising up draft boards because I prefer him over Datone Jones since he's a much better pass rusher. Jones might be more solid all around though. Also like the late round pick Travis Johnson. He gets sacks! Was in my class too.

I like Tank a lot too but I think Jones is more ready to be a 3-4 DE than Tank is. Would be stoked for either one.

Johnson could be a great player someday. All time sack leader in the WAC and his sack numbers went up every season.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

Jones and Carradine were used differently. I agree Tank has the upper hand in the pass rush department. But we'd like somebody that can play the 5-technique and be an effective inside pass rusher too. Tank hasn't done that really. He'd be making a change. Jones is widely viewed as a 5-technique DE. He's not a pure outside rusher, but he can generate pressure up the middle and play the run better than Tank (at least initially).

I'm with you, I'd prefer Tank because I think he has amazing upside. But Jones would be a solid pick.
Share 49ersWebzone