LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 318 users in the forums

Smithc28 final mock draft

I've raised a few points recently how Baalke might be targeting Offense over Defense, for the first two picks especially as most mocks had us taking a safety and d-lineman mostly Cyprien and Datone Jones which I think would be a huge waste and make our D a lot worse than it has been over last couple of years.
The reaction was mixed and I still believe offense will be the way to go but I did try to see it from other perspective and think of a way we could go improve our D a lot and try to make the offense a bit better as well, especially in certain situations. And I am now happy

No way we do 13 picks so I'm bringing it down to 8

#34 + #93 = 23
#61 + #128 = 55

#157 - traded for 2014 4th round
#237 - traded for 2014 6th round

No.23 - Sylvester Williams DE/DT
Limited to certain situations this year similar to what we did with Aldon. I'd really like for him to come in for Smith or McDonald giving either a rest and taking up the double teams so Aldon can go one on one for the sack. That's why Justin is so effective for Aldon.

No. 31 - Tank Carradine DE/OLB
Yes a 2nd D-lineman, why you may ask. the amount of quality depth we would have there would just be pressure after pressure after pressure. 4th quarter when O-line are tired your switching D-line to keep them fresh. The quarterbacks would never get the chance to do what they did in the playoffs.
It also means we wouldn't have to rely on secondary as much because the QB would not be getting enough time pick his men out. Aldon and Justin wouldn't get tired or injured towards the playoffs so we'd be dominant.
Tank could come in as either Defensive end or OLB and I would use him as above bringing him in in certain packages.

No.55 - Terrence Williams WR
Great understudy for Boldin and could be a great legit no.2 wide receiver for 2014. Vertical red-zone target and a great compliment for Crabtree. He is also a very hard worker and very willing blocker. I would bring him in Redzone option situations as I can see him making an impact for Kap, Gore and Lamike in the run game.

No 74 - DJ Swearinger FS
I don't know why this guy is always picked as a mid 3rd rounder but I'll take that all day. In fact I think this is the biggest bargain on the board. Let him compete and maybe even share the job as free safety with Trent Robinson. I'm sure in any other draft he'd be an early 2nd rounder but he fits the need and we aren't wasting a big pick on him.

No. 131 - Marcus Lattimore RB
Bla bla bla red shirt him for a year, then bring him in certain situations in 2014 then ready to be no.1 RB in 2015. Long term thinking and its daft if we don't it.
(As a disclaimer, if someone takes an earlier plunge on Lattimore I'd like to throw in Montee Ball to replace Dixon and we'll shoot for Gores replacement next year)

No 173 - Joseph Fauria TE
Fauria can come and compete with Celek for no.2 TE, and come in in special RZ situations as he's a great vertical threat. Itdo like Celek and thought he had a decent time last year which could improve with playing time.

No 246 - Don Jones SS
We all know Whitners gone as soon as we have his replacement, this is a low draft pick so not much of a gamble but with a year on our team his upside could make him better than Whitner and if not we can always go to FA to fill the void.

No 252 - WR for PS
Not sure who's left but an extra WR just to give Jenkins that extra push so he has to perform and do something this year, or its bye bye.

2 extra 2014 picks which I believe would give us for next year a similar thing to this year and with players like Jadoveon Clowney and Sammy Watkins and all the QB's coming out we could make a big play up the board for a potential superstar. Top heavy draft next year and we could use all the picks we can get.
[ Edited by smithc28 on Apr 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM ]
I dont mind the first 2 picks but I disagree with the trades.

1) You arent going to move up from 34 to 23 with giving just the 93rd pick. It would take the 73rd pick to move up that high. Also, I would rather sit where we are and select
someone like Datrone Jones or Jesse Williams.

2) No way I am giving up a valuable 4th round pick to move up 6 picks to draft Terrence Williams. If I am moving up in the 2nd it is going to be for a top CB or S.
Nice mock.

Predicting trades, IMO, is harder than predicting players.

Like your picks and I have a feeling Swearinger will be a very good pick-up.
Overall, I like the picks, but not the trades. Because of the trades, we don't have picks for a CB in a very deep CB class.

I wouldn't trade away #93 to get Sly Williams. I'd use picks 93 and maybe 131 to trade up in the 3rd round for a CB that falls. Maybe Jordan Poyer or B.W. Webb.
I don't believe it's a good idea to trade up for a guy who won't play. The team is not going to sit J. Smith for more than 10% of the def. plays. You don't sit the best player on the team for significant time because he was hurt the year before.
I kinda like the trades. I didn't look into how feasible they'd be in regards to whether the other team would do it. Either way, it's interesting to have higher picks and some for next year - plus the comp picks we'll get. That said, I'd probably pick a different person at each of those spots.

A for effort. B for your picks. I could live with this.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I dont mind the first 2 picks but I disagree with the trades.

1) You arent going to move up from 34 to 23 with giving just the 93rd pick. It would take the 73rd pick to move up that high. Also, I would rather sit where we are and select
someone like Datrone Jones or Jesse Williams.

2) No way I am giving up a valuable 4th round pick to move up 6 picks to draft Terrence Williams. If I am moving up in the 2nd it is going to be for a top CB or S.

1) it's Trent Baalke, he can do what he likes also apparently the draft his heavy from 20-50 so its a fair swap and the draft calculator is going to be less accurate and Datone Jones and J.Williams won't be half as good as S.Williams and Tank. Datone Jones is going to be a bust just watch.

2) T.Williams is quality and would be a Baalke move. We have 6 CB on the roster and Safety's a deep class that's why Swearinger is picked up in the third, and IMO he's just as good as any FS in this draft.

Lucky I didn't pick my offense heavy draft.
sylvester williams
Nothing wrong w/Sly Williams...a lot of teams will be out to draft him. Very versatile DL and really quick for a guy 315 lbs. Love the tandem of DT and TC at DE. Where I have trouble with this mock is Terrance Williams. I'd draft Da'Rick Rogers in a heartbeat...exceptionally strong receiver, fights for the ball and plays with attitude reminiscent of a young T.O. I'd also find a way to get Kelce, even if Baalke has to trade up to get him. His combination of receiving and blocking skills is hard to find coming out of college. I'm not sure I buy Swearinger as a FS...at least not a ballhawking one. Think he translates better as a SS. Phillip Thomas is one of the best "true" FS many have never heard of.
I think I'd prefer Toilolo with that later TE pick. But that's nitpicky.

Overall I like the players a lot. Would be happy with this draft.

Share 49ersWebzone