4-128 -- C Brian Schwenke
4-131 -- RB Marcus Lattimore
5-157 -- OLB Tourek Williams
6-173 -- OT Luke Marquardt
6-180 -- WR Tyrone Goard
7-246 -- DE Lawrence Okoye
7-252 -- K Dustin Hopkins

Get it done Baalke!
A bit high for some of these picks...especially the CB in round 2...Williams as well...and I don't think Kelce lasts until that late...Schewenke as well will be gone by the 4th...love the Lattimore pick...
7th rounders are solid as well....
Originally posted by sarppen:
A bit high for some of these picks...especially the CB in round 2...Williams as well...and I don't think Kelce lasts until that late...Schewenke as well will be gone by the 4th...love the Lattimore pick...
7th rounders are solid as well....

Thanks for the input. MadDog has Schwenke slotted at 138 and I like his track record. Brandon Williams slotted at 64.

Going out on a limb with Robert Alford for now. I think a slot corner is one of our biggest needs along with S and DL. Alford is slotted at 46 on MD's big board, but ranked 25 on MD's BPA board. I think we should reach for our favorite CB at 34.
I wouldn't be mad with this
Not a fan of the 1st two picks, but after that it's pretty great. Only thing I would contend with after the first two picks would be that OT is a much bigger need than Center and a harder position to find talent that late in the draft. Schwenke is an awfully good player, and if he's there at 128 it would be worth considering. But I'd much prefer a stronger OT prospect at that spot. Maybe David Quessenberry.

Hate the 1st two picks. This is a very deep draft for defensive backs. So why use our top 2 picks on DBs? I'd be ok with Cyprien at 34, though I think it is unwise to take a safety so early. David Amerson would fill our FS need at 74. Robert Alford doesn't warrant the 34th pick IMO. Many boards have him as a 3rd round prospect. I'd prefer a B.W. Webb or Tyrann Matheiu in round 3 to be our slot CB.

I would much rather see us go DE, NT, TE, or WR with 31 and 34. The following are guys we should look at for those picks:

Tank Carradine DE
Datone Jones DE
Alex Okafor DE
Jesse Williams NT
DeAndre Hopkins WR
Quinton Patton WR
Zach Ertz TE
Originally posted by blm7754:
Not a fan of the 1st two picks, but after that it's pretty great. Only thing I would contend with after the first two picks would be that OT is a much bigger need than Center and a harder position to find talent that late in the draft. Schwenke is an awfully good player, and if he's there at 128 it would be worth considering. But I'd much prefer a stronger OT prospect at that spot. Maybe David Quessenberry.

Hate the 1st two picks. This is a very deep draft for defensive backs. So why use our top 2 picks on DBs? I'd be ok with Cyprien at 34, though I think it is unwise to take a safety so early. David Amerson would fill our FS need at 74. Robert Alford doesn't warrant the 34th pick IMO. Many boards have him as a 3rd round prospect. I'd prefer a B.W. Webb or Tyrann Matheiu in round 3 to be our slot CB.

I would much rather see us go DE, NT, TE, or WR with 31 and 34. The following are guys we should look at for those picks:

Tank Carradine DE
Datone Jones DE
Alex Okafor DE
Jesse Williams NT
DeAndre Hopkins WR
Quinton Patton WR
Zach Ertz TE

I'm opposed to WR at 31/34 for similar reasons you're opposed to CB, so to each his own. Both positions are already pretty set for the 49ers in terms of starters, and both positions are relatively strong in the draft. But I think a blue chip CB has a better chance of making an impact this year and helping us address one of our biggest weaknesses.

That said, I like Carradine and Jones and Okafor. I would love to pair one of them with Cyprien as an alternative to my plan. I like the idea of going hard after DBs in the first three rounds in order to increase competition and shore up those spots for the present and future. But the same could be said for DL, no doubt.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I'm opposed to WR at 31/34 for similar reasons you're opposed to CB, so to each his own. Both positions are already pretty set for the 49ers in terms of starters, and both positions are relatively strong in the draft. But I think a blue chip CB has a better chance of making an impact this year and helping us address one of our biggest weaknesses.

That said, I like Carradine and Jones and Okafor. I would love to pair one of them with Cyprien as an alternative to my plan. I like the idea of going hard after DBs in the first three rounds in order to increase competition and shore up those spots for the present and future. But the same could be said for DL, no doubt.

Yeah, I'm really not that opposed to taking a CB at 31 or 34... but it has to be the right guy. Either a great value pick (someone that falls... maybe Trufant), or someone that is just a perfect fit for what we do. With so many solid CB prospects, it is hard to justify a top 50 pick on one.

But you could say the same about the WRs this year. There are guys like Rogers and Dobson in the 3rd. Lots of good prospects.

I really think it's going to go down like this with our top two picks: a DL like Jones, Carradine, Okafor, etc. And then BPA at S, WR, CB, TE, NT with the other one. So much depth at all those positions in this draft that if we pass on one position to take another, we'll be ok.
Share 49ersWebzone