LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Eric Reid

Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Reid is my favorite FS in this draft still has upside as he is only a Junior
I hadn't watched anything on him until yesterday. I just assumed we were high on Cyprien. After watching video of the top 5 or 6 safeties, Varacco and Reid were the guys that stuck out to me. I don't like the trade up for Kenny V. though so Reid is now my choice as well.

I would be ok with other guys as well but some of the guys like Elam and Cyprien, etc... seem small and appear to go for the big hit like Goldson.
He seems to be a better fit at FS in terms of coverage skills, than say Cyprien.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
im on the bandwagon. he's my 2nd choice at safety if we pass on Matt Elam.

I think he's the next best thing after Kenny Vaccarro. I'm not a fan of Matt Elam. Too similar to Whitner.

Still don't see the Whitner comparison besides height. Elam has more range and can play both safety positions. He's also better at man coverage than Whitner.

Maybe so, but their games are still very similar. Shorter athletic safeties who can hit, but neither is great in coverage. Not a fan of having both our safeties 5'10. Better to have at least one guy back their with some length to guard taller tight ends and receivers.

A nice article by MM. Former safety Matt Bowen feels the same way.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-draft-should-yield-goldsons-replacement
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Mar 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM ]
I am really having a tough time identifying the FS that I hope the Niners target. A lot of the top names seem much more viable at SS to me. Cyprien may be a good coverage guy for a SS, but I question his deep coverage skills as a FS. There doesn't seem to be an Eric Berry, Earl Thomas type pure ball hawk in the top half of the draft.

I am kind of warming to the idea of Eric Reid, but then I saw this:

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013ereid.php

Player Comparison: LaRon Landry Reid's game resembles Landry more than anybody else, but Landry is much better in pass coverage. Like Landry, Reid is a hard hitter who is a good run-defender. Both players are physical and never shy away from contact. Landry was a high first-rounder, while Reid looks to be a second-day pick.
Originally posted by Butter:
I am really having a tough time identifying the FS that I hope the Niners target. A lot of the top names seem much more viable at SS to me. Cyprien may be a good coverage guy for a SS, but I question his deep coverage skills as a FS. There doesn't seem to be an Eric Berry, Earl Thomas type pure ball hawk in the top half of the draft.

I am kind of warming to the idea of Eric Reid, but then I saw this:

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013ereid.php

Player Comparison: LaRon Landry Reid's game resembles Landry more than anybody else, but Landry is much better in pass coverage. Like Landry, Reid is a hard hitter who is a good run-defender. Both players are physical and never shy away from contact. Landry was a high first-rounder, while Reid looks to be a second-day pick.

Yeah I don't know about all that. Anyways, Reid is the most appealing to me right now, but we just need to trust in Harbaalke. They won't get caught up in all the athletic and hard hitting hype (Taylor Mays) and I trust they'll get their guy, who they think is the best all around safety.

I think he's the next best thing after Kenny Vaccarro. I'm not a fan of Matt Elam. Too similar to Whitner.

Still don't see the Whitner comparison besides height. Elam has more range and can play both safety positions. He's also better at man coverage than Whitner.

Maybe so, but their games are still very similar. Shorter athletic safeties who can hit, but neither is great in coverage. Not a fan of having both our safeties 5'10. Better to have at least one guy back their with some length to guard taller tight ends and receivers.

I see what you're saying, but I just don't buy it. Elam isn't "great" in coverage, but he's good. We run a completely different scheme than Florida and that could be to his benefit and he may learn how to cover better playing under Donatelle and Fangio.

Also, the Steelers' starting safeties are both under 6 feet. same goes for the Texans. if the safeties can play, then they can play. the fact that Elam and Whitner are both athletic is good to have. Elam's man coverage is also underrated.

I see what you're saying, but I just don't buy it. Elam isn't "great" in coverage, but he's good. We run a completely different scheme than Florida and that could be to his benefit and he may learn how to cover better playing under Donatelle and Fangio.

Also, the Steelers' starting safeties are both under 6 feet. same goes for the Texans. if the safeties can play, then they can play. the fact that Elam and Whitner are both athletic is good to have. Elam's man coverage is also underrated.

If Harbaalke go with Elam then I'm all for it. I just don't think Elam would be an ideal fit at FS for us. Wouldn't mind Elam as Whitners replacement and then draft a FS as well though.
If Harbaalke go with Elam then I'm all for it. I just don't think Elam would be an ideal fit at FS for us. Wouldn't mind Elam as Whitners replacement and then draft a FS as well though.

draft Elam and Swearinger or P. Thomas.
  • KK49
  • Veteran
the kid looks good. for where he is goin to fall, he might be the BPA for the niners.. i really see us drafting him . looks very similar to Goldson.. But guys what do u think about having Eric Reid and Tyrann Mathieu as 49ers?? they look relentless. storming from everywhere , teams really gonna stop running on us... I just hope they dont start getting high together like in the old LSU days .. hehe
so thats my wish... im glad we have some interest in Tyrrann, ( by the way I KNEW NE would try to draft him,, just knew it.. they r just so sneaky , just like Seattle).... I just hope B. Williams or K. Short fals to 34 ......,.
I'm sold, I want him on this team bad.

I like Reid better than Vaccaro
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Isn't Reid more in the mold of Laron Landry than a prototypical FS? I have read a few scouting reports that say his main weakness is coverage skills. Personally I would prefer a a Merton Hanks clone at FS in today's NFL.

Reid does hit hard and has great size to come in and start day one, so If Baalke drafts him, I would be happy.

I'll get word to Reid's agent and make sure he gets Reid to learn the infamous chicken dance.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Reid is my favorite FS in this draft still has upside as he is only a Junior
I hadn't watched anything on him until yesterday. I just assumed we were high on Cyprien. After watching video of the top 5 or 6 safeties, Varacco and Reid were the guys that stuck out to me. I don't like the trade up for Kenny V. though so Reid is now my choice as well.

I would be ok with other guys as well but some of the guys like Elam and Cyprien, etc... seem small and appear to go for the big hit like Goldson.

Elam & Cyprien play more like a SS in the box type of player. Reid & Vaccaro play more FS style inside/outside the box all over the field really Eric Reid is a 2nd day prospect which is why I prefer him instead of any other safety which will require to trade up
Hey I did call it. Lol. Little late. Forgot about this thread.
Hey I did call it. Lol. Little late. Forgot about this thread.

Nice
Share 49ersWebzone